BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 5h, 31m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 2085MB of 3983MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Bios for old laptop.        Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:26 pm 

Hi. I find in my home old laptop with bios Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.0 1985-1995. Some important information: SMC 665IR rev 2 found at port 3F0h
PhoenixBIOS Version 4.04.03
05/08/97 Where i can download newer bios for this laptop for free.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:35 pm 
Donator

What's the brand and model number of this laptop? The manufacturer's website (if it still exists) would be your first bet, otherwise, I'm afraid you won't have much luck finding a newer BIOS...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:05 pm 

I don`t know what`s is brand and model laptop.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:37 pm 
Donator

That makes it difficult as you need the exactly right BIOS. Does a Google Search bring up something interesting?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:21 am 
google "aida32", it'll tell you everything you need to know about your laptop, model, manufacturer, BIOS supplier, literally everything you need to know, i'll see if i cant find a link...

EDIT:found it, not sure if its the most up to date version, but its free, it works, and it ill tell you what you need http://www.sofotex.com/AIDA32-download_L9326.html

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:57 am 
FTP Access

What does updating the BIOS do for my computer? Faster load times, new logo screens, etc? My computer dates 1999 for its BIOS and it takes forever to load (1 minute max) and the time increases over time. Possibly updating it would help this issue?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:13 am 
Donator

troyoda1990 wrote:
What does updating the BIOS do for my computer? Faster load times, new logo screens, etc? My computer dates 1999 for its BIOS and it takes forever to load (1 minute max) and the time increases over time. Possibly updating it would help this issue?

Generally, a BIOS update may fix bugs, override certain limitations (HD size limits of 32GB in older Award BIOSes, for example), fix compatibility issues and so on.
It does normally not reduce loading times or introduce new logos, so I wouldn't certainly say updating your BIOS wil get rid of the extraordinarily long load times. If it's a compatibility issue, then maybe.
Be careful when you try this though, as the BIOS update must be exactly made for the motherboard you're trying to update, even smallest differences (different revision, model, etc.) can cause the update to fail (and some other occurences can too), and then your board may be dead, completely dead until you replace the flash chip.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:50 pm 
my old laptop bios is Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.0 too
and i don't update it eve now

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:43 pm 
FTP Access

Is there a sticker on the bottom of the laptop that lists any information such as model # or manufacturer?

Top  Profile