BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 11h, 8m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 2626MB of 4289MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: New iMac system        Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RC1 (Build 7100)
Yesterday I bought a Blueberry iMac 350 slot-loader for £17 at a car boot sale in South London! It's in fab condition and will hopefully be the start of a collection of such machines. I'll post pics when my digital camera's batteries decide to return from the land of the dead!

My question is this, should I keep OS10 on there or use OS9, or even Linux. Basically what will allow me to get the best out of the machine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:15 pm 
FTP Access

Mac OS X is the best OS for it - it runs surprisingly fast even on older Macs like this one and is a very modern OS that is compatible with current-generation apps (except those that are starting to come out now and require G4 or above processors). Mac OS 9 is very dated now and has had no new apps made for it for years, including web browsers. Make sure you are using a modern version of OS X though - 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2 are slow and not supported any more, whereas 10.3 or preferably 10.4 (the current version) are actually much faster (unlike MS OSes, Mac OS X tends to get faster and more optimised with each version) and have many more features and compatibility with current apps. For OS X you really want a minimum of 256 MB Ram for good performance, while 512 MB+ will get the best out of it, so it's oworth upgrading it if it has less than this installed currently.

Remember that you can set up a dual-boot with OS 9 and OS X though, which is worth doing as then you have both OSes available, and you can run older OS 9 applications (which you can't if you only have OS X installed).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:25 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Mac OS X is the best OS for it - it runs surprisingly fast even on older Macs like this one and is a very modern OS that is compatible with current-generation apps (except those that are starting to come out now and require G4 or above processors). Mac OS 9 is very dated now and has had no new apps made for it for years, including web browsers. Make sure you are using a modern version of OS X though - 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2 are slow and not supported any more, whereas 10.3 or preferably 10.4 (the current version) are actually much faster (unlike MS OSes, Mac OS X tends to get faster and more optimised with each version) and have many more features and compatibility with current apps. For OS X you really want a minimum of 256 MB Ram for good performance, while 512 MB+ will get the best out of it, so it's oworth upgrading it if it has less than this installed currently.

Remember that you can set up a dual-boot with OS 9 and OS X though, which is worth doing as then you have both OSes available, and you can run older OS 9 applications (which you can't if you only have OS X installed).

Exactly what I did with my iMac.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Thanks, it came with OS 10.2.8, so I think I'll upgrade to 10.4 [I still have the installation media... somewhere]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:06 am 
FTP Access

Note that it's a good idea to disable Dashboard once you have 10.4 installed, as it uses a lot of memory (all the time, not just when you have it open) and is not especially useful - you'll need a tool like OnyX to do this, there is no UI for the option in Tiger.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:53 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Thanks again,
but I've just found out that you can't install 10.4 on a computer without Firewire or a DVD drive, does anyone know of a hack/workaround that will allow me to do this on my iMac G3?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:07 am 
Donator

Richard0612 wrote:
Thanks again,
but I've just found out that you can't install 10.4 on a computer without Firewire or a DVD drive, does anyone know of a hack/workaround that will allow me to do this on my iMac G3?

XPostFacto.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:58 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Richard0612 wrote:
Thanks again,

XPostFacto.
This is also what I would recommend. However, I can get most of my work done with Mac OS X 10.3.9. Would it be cheaper to get your hands on Panther instead, or are most of the programs you want require Tiger? Most software companies still support 10.3.9, just like Apple. Eventually, it will be unsupported, but as of now, it's still good to own. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:19 am 
FTP Access

If it is a slot-loader, which you said it is, it has FireWire and is therefore supported by Apple for 10.4 (only the very first "tray-loader" iMacs didn't have FireWire and need XPostFacto for 10.4). XPostFacto isn't necessary in such a situation and is in fact not recommended as 10.4 will install fine without it, so it can only cause problems. A DVD drive is not a requirement that determines whether 10.4 will install without XPF - it is simply that retail copies of Tiger come on DVD only and it is therefore not so straightforward to install 10.4 on CD-only machines, whereas 10.3 and older came on CDs. However, CD versions are around as you could (and possibly still can, I don't know) mail in the DVD to Apple to swap it for the 4 CD set, and they should be findable (I have a set, for instance).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:45 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
My one is a G3 350, so no firewire. :(

I might see about 10.3.9 if 10.4 won't install [although I will give it a good go!]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:54 am 
FTP Access

Richard0612 wrote:

Are you sure? According to MacTracker, the database of all Mac models, a slot-loading G3-350 should have FireWire. Only tray-loading iMacs didn't have it, and the fastest of those had a G3-333 CPU. Grab yourself the CD set (note that only the first 2 CDs are needed for an installation of Tiger, just deselect the optional packages in the Installer, you don't need them anyway) and see if it'll boot and install off them :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:59 pm 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Richard0612 wrote:

Are you sure? According to MacTracker, the database of all Mac models, a slot-loading G3-350 should have FireWire. Only tray-loading iMacs didn't have it, and the fastest of those had a G3-333 CPU. Grab yourself the CD set (note that only the first 2 CDs are needed for an installation of Tiger, just deselect the optional packages in the Installer, you don't need them anyway) and see if it'll boot and install off them :)

Uh, no. 400MHz + has firewire. 350MHz iMacs were low end, and didn't include firewire.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
ZSS9393 wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Richard0612 wrote:

Uh, no. 400MHz + has firewire. 350MHz iMacs were low end, and didn't include firewire.

Pwnt.
Except for mine.
http://www.old-computer.org/oc20/viewtopic.php?t=39#209

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I suppose 10.4 could be installed from a USB DVD-ROM drive [slowly]... or I could use 10.3.9.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:01 pm 
Donator

Richard0612 wrote:
I suppose 10.4 could be installed from a USB DVD-ROM drive [slowly]... or I could use 10.3.9.

The iMac doesn't have USB 2.0, thus this would be slower than hell. Additionally, I'm not sure if these machines can boot from USB devices. FireWire devices are no problem (for Macs which have it), but I have no idea about USB booting capabilities of older Macs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:40 am 
Permanently Banned

Richard0612 wrote:

10.4 also comes in CD versions, if you own a legit DVD of Tiger, i'd say it'd be safe to download the CD versions, or pay Apple some $10 and they will exchange your dvd for cd's.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Yep, I have the legit DVD [bought it at a boot sale!], but might just try 10.3.9.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]