Poll: Useraccount control of Windows Vista

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Leave Useraccount control on on Windows Vista?

I like Useraccount control leave it on
14%
I don't like Useraccount control please turn it off
60%
We must leave it only on on limited accounts
21%
I dont know what Useraccount control is.
5%

Total votes: 43

Rob Jansen
Donator

Poll: Useraccount control of Windows Vista

Post by Rob Jansen »

I have useraccount control disabled because it is very annoying.

4tified
Donator

Post by 4tified »

If I'm logged on as Admin on a computer, why do I need Vista asking me if it's okay to run programs IN AN ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT? The very first thing I do is turn off user account control when I do a fresh install of Vista....makes the OS SO much more bearable.
Laptop: Precision M6300 2.4GHz Core 2 T8300 / 4GB RAM / 320GB HD / ATI Quadro FX 3600m
Server: PowerEdge 1950 (Gen III) (x1) 2.5Ghz Xeon E5420 / 24GB FB-DDR2 / 1.5tb 7.2k SAS RAID 0
Desktop: Precision T5500 2.66GHz Xeon X5650 / 24GB DDR3 ECC / 2x 300GB Seagate 15k7

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Same here, Vista UAC is the most annoying thing to come out of Microsoft.

TheWahbinator
FTP Access

Post by TheWahbinator »

I don't mind UAC prompts, I can click Allow to 100 a day and not find myself annoyed.

But there is one thing that pisses (sic) me off to no end, it's file and registry virtualization. Registry keys are stored separately from the main registry, and everything that gets saved to Program Files (such as config files for an app) get saved to some obscure location in my User Profile. Problems are, any file that I replace in Program Files that's already in the VirtualStore isn't recognized because the VirtualStore items gets priority (since they don't require elevation to access), plus I'd need to remember to edit keys for unelevated applications that write the registry at the VirtualStore and not the actual program's key.
Plus all these documented problems.

So I don't know about you crybabies whining over those silly little prompts, but I think I've got a good reason not to use it.

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

turned on!

On Linux you also have to type in the root password for admin activities
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

When I used vista, I turned it off...
-Jeff

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

I don't use vista at all anymore, but when I used all the versions, I would turn them off.

When my brother got his gateway laptop with vista, he didn't even notice UAC...
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Luckie wrote:turned on!

On Linux you also have to type in the root password for admin activities
Not quite comparable IMHO. UAC also nags you whenever you want to perform system-wide changes even though you're already logged in as Administrator (which isn't quite equal to *NIX's root, though). As root on *NIX, you can do everything without being warned.

ppc_digger
Donator

Post by ppc_digger »

The problem is not that it's no more than a cheap and incomplete copy of UNIX' sudo (Where's the password dialog? And the timer?), it's that Windows is built in a way that makes running as a non-administrator a living hell. Why should I confirm I'm an admin when all I want is to dial an Internet connection? Or when I want to change the start menu? (and don't tell me it's a global menu. Make it not show me a global item, don't delete it) Why is almost every application built in a way that it cannot function without Administrator privileges?

JM'S

Post by JM'S »

I turned UAC off and didn't get any security problems, I think when you're were using XP a lot before and when you're using your computer every day since more than a year you absolutely don't need this, for me it's just annoying.
Though, people who doesn't know how to use some parts of their computer (or if you have children) will feel secured by this feature because it'll always ask "why" you're doing something, and perhaps it'll prevent you doing something wrong

altrus

Post by altrus »

In my eyes, uac is the scourge of the earth.

I turned it off immidietly, and never turned back.
-altrus

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

Well, I personally LIKE UAC, and I will tell you why. In the normal security context of Windows, an unprivileged user can execute application with a higher privileged user account. The problem ends up being that the launched application is running in another users profile space, and hence doesn't necessarily have access to the files that you did, such as on a networked drive, or a folder with admin rights removed.

UAC takes this a step further and allows me to run any application anywhere I have access to.

I suppose you would only notice this if you had a secure domain style network.

fusi0n
FTP Access

Post by fusi0n »

never liked UAC, I turned it off as soon as I bought my laptop. It was very annoying seeing messages like "Blah blah blah needs your permittion". I felt like a dumb who doesn't know what he just did ...

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

I just hate UAC, it is just sooo useless for me. Well maybe not useles for everybody but it is for me

benny1091
FTP Access

Post by benny1091 »

"Are You Sure?"
"Are You Really Sure?"
"Would your mother want to see you casting all caution into the wind?"
"I hope you know what you are doing"
"This is the last time, are you really sure you want to do that?"
"I think i know better than you do, you don't want to open that"
Later....
"Error accessing Drive C! Perhaps the volume is read-only?"

this is an exagerrated example of what using vista was like for me when i reinstalled... damn those driver installers

but, yea, i do and recommend everybody to disable it!!!!!

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

benny1091 wrote:"Are You Sure?"
"Are You Really Sure?"
"Would your mother want to see you casting all caution into the wind?"
"I hope you know what you are doing"
"This is the last time, are you really sure you want to do that?"
"I think i know better than you do, you don't want to open that"
Later....
"Error accessing Drive C! Perhaps the volume is read-only?"

this is an exagerrated example of what using vista was like for me when i reinstalled... damn those driver installers
forget it noob!
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

GRJParker
FTP Access

Post by GRJParker »

I just about hate everything about Vista, but UAC (heh, UAC) is one of the things I hate most. Sure, it helps home users and idiots from doing something that might screw up Windows, but for someone like me, its useless and annoying.

"You would like to run this program:
'iexplore.exe' This file may contain viruses or other malicious software. Cancel or Allow?" (that actually happened once!)

"You would like to change the screen resolutions from 800x600 to 1280x1024. Cancel or Allow?"

moonlit
FTP Access

Post by moonlit »

GRJParker wrote:Sure, it helps home users and idiots from doing something that might screw up Windows, but for someone like me, its useless and annoying.
Trouble is that it seems useless and annoying to the not-so-computer literate too... which means whenever it comes up they're likely to press whatever gets rid ot it. If they're used to making it go away by allowing everything, because that's what they did to get the control panel up last time, that's what they'll do again and again.

Not everyone works like that, but many many users do... so it'd make it fairly useless anyway.

compact-mac
Donator

Post by compact-mac »

Should be Limited only. In Beta 2, it bugged me to hell.
CM's Old Website
Post Tenebras Spero Lucem
Forget DNS/HTTPS or DNS/TLS, the future is DNS over Avian.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Compact-mac wrote:Should be Limited only. In Beta 2, it bugged me to hell.
It was unbearable in Beta 2, but got a little bit better in the later releases.

compact-mac
Donator

Post by compact-mac »

empireum wrote:
Compact-mac wrote:Should be Limited only. In Beta 2, it bugged me to hell.
It was unbearable in Beta 2, but got a little bit better in the later releases.
*compact-mac should try a newer vista

But not on this laptop

*needs a new PC
CM's Old Website
Post Tenebras Spero Lucem
Forget DNS/HTTPS or DNS/TLS, the future is DNS over Avian.

DBlake
Donator
Location: Two lefts and a diagonal sidestep from where you are.

Post by DBlake »

I absolutely dispise Vista's UAC. Almost every program i run, the stupid window pops up and asks you to confirm it...its so STUPID...except for Limiteds accounts. then its OK because i dont want other users installing stuff that could slow down the system, or make it crash.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

DBlake wrote:I absolutely dispise Vista's UAC. Almost every program i run, the stupid window pops up and asks you to confirm it...its so STUPID...except for Limiteds accounts. then its OK because i dont want other users installing stuff that could slow down the system, or make it crash.
This topic is a year old. I'll let it slip this time since it was the same month and its possible you simply didn't realise it was a year old.