BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 6h, 20m | CPU: 7% | MEM: 1796MB of 3033MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: The endless dell problem        Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:45 pm 
Permanently Banned

OK, so my cardbus slot went south, so I call up dell. Get a nice lad named Christopher, who approves sending out replacement parts. Keep in mind, there's no warranty left on this Latitude D600, and i'm not about to ditch a Pentium M laptop if I can save it.

So about a 2-3 days later after the call, I get a cardbus adapter, and a board (which also has the cardbus adapter). Drop the board in.

Random crashes. Blue screens, and just plain lockups.

Call him up again, report my issues. Sends out a tech with another new board.

While I'm still experiancing the same issues, I did get a new board out of it. So, running some diagnostics on it, everything comes back good... However:

A) The crashing and locking up seems to happen only when I try to connect to some sort of network, via modem, lan, or wifi.

B) I get a reported CPU Hangup in Linux (during a brief linux install). One during setup, another during doing some things in regular text mode.

So I call back, report that issue. Different lad I spoke to. Wanted the company name on the account (it was bought 2nd hand on eBay). So I had a fight with a CS rep to get that name. Call back their tech support and when they ask for the company name, I give it to them. Then whoever the [censored] I was speaking to, got an OK to send out a new processor. That's about where I am now, and just hoping they [censored] up and send something faster. I should have the processor tomorrow (monday) and it's a nice simple drop it in and go (ZIF socket). They offered a tech to do it, but I just thought i'd do it myself, as i've done those before, and it's quite easy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Apple iOS 5.1
Like you told me ages ago on MSN... Dells suck.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:04 pm 
Donator

I never thought dells could be that bad...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:49 am 
Permanently Banned

It took a few small drops, but I don't think that could have [censored] everything up.

Even my HP from work has taken more falls, and that thing was solid as a rock.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Dell Inspiron 8100        Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
I know people have different experinces with different companies, but personally, Dell has always been my brand of choice (As far as notebooks go). I had a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop that went through two Iraq deployments, 3 4 feet or higher falls, being crushed a few times and spilling water on it and it ran fine for about 5 years...even after it broke, I sold it for almost $200. Dell might not be the best, but it certainly isn't the worst...I've not had much luck with their Tech Support though...I'm rather eat shards of glass than call them again.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:48 pm 
FTP Access

Thinkpads pwn you all... :P
And Powerbooks are number 2. Then comes HP.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:09 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I left my toshiba toughbook out in the rain and snow (same day...). And it still lives on...

Although, the computer's performance is sub par so I recently sold it...
-=-=-=-=-

I have yet to hear of anybody with good experiences with Dell (fried ram here, 10 USD for a bios optition configured there...)
Yet, when I go to their website, the prices are temptingly low...

So, I suppose you get what you pay for...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:51 pm 
Donator

Interesting ... Dell's been very nice to me. They've replaced my system once (and upgraded from a Core Duo to a Core 2 for free!) , and given me a free mobo replacement. For the mobo replacement it only took one email of "erm, my BIOS is giving me this funny message, my system won't boot, and I can't get into SETUP" and then they sent a guy out to replace it.

I guess it might also depend on if you paid for the good warranty or not ... they do have a range of very different warranty plans, ranging from the plan where they don't care for you, to the plan where they will replace it if it's stolen. I chose the latter. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:50 pm 
FTP Access

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
Interesting ... Dell's been very nice to me. They've replaced my system once (and upgraded from a Core Duo to a Core 2 for free!) , and given me a free mobo replacement. For the mobo replacement it only took one email of "erm, my BIOS is giving me this funny message, my system won't boot, and I can't get into SETUP" and then they sent a guy out to replace it.

I guess it might also depend on if you paid for the good warranty or not ... they do have a range of very different warranty plans, ranging from the plan where they don't care for you, to the plan where they will replace it if it's stolen. I chose the latter. :P

Or you could buy a good Thinkpad, and never cash in the warrantys.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:22 pm 
Donator

ZSS9393 wrote:

I know .. I nearly bought a ThinkPad, but it was about $2000 more than my Dell cost to get a Core Duo at the time. Plus I wouldn't have gotten a free upgrade to Core 2 Duo (though I didn't know about that at the time. :D)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:51 am 
Permanently Banned

Well, the CPU cured a few issues, but I still remain with issues related to networking, so here comes board #4.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:55 am 
FTP Access

Just get rid of that Dell. Get a used Pentium M Thinkpad if you need a laptop. They're on eBay.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Chicago (hometown pride)
Zimmy wrote:
Well, the CPU cured a few issues, but I still remain with issues related to networking, so here comes board #4.

At this point I will recommend precious metal extraction...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:22 pm 
FTP Access

ZSS9393 wrote:

I've a 3 years warranty and in 3 years, the laptop got more than 4 interventions at the IBM Support.
This is not an international support, mine have been repaired in France (Europ IBM Support) but this computer also have been repaired in Swiss (Non Europa IBM but it's stuck to France). Same support, same hotliners but not the same rules...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:57 am 
I baught a Dell in 97 and again in 2000. Never again.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:09 pm 
Permanently Banned

ZSS9393 wrote:
Just get rid of that Dell. Get a used Pentium M Thinkpad if you need a laptop. They're on eBay.

Does it look like i have monies? No.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:57 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Expanding on what somebody said earlier...

Dells are only good for precious metal extraction...

Give your girlfriend a golden CPU jewellry
// Although I think they now make cpus out of mercury, lead, and silicon...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: dell = h*ll        Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:38 pm 
i did a case swap with a dimension 3000 desktop and it sucked, all the connections were different from normal computers, ie, fan connector, usb header, and not to mention one 3 pin fan header on the motherboard, the same computer suffered from bsod errors with udma enabled and when looking into the problem there was a section of wire missing from the ide cable, when i asked dell about this for fun, the representive tried to tell me they do this on lower end pc's, which is cleary bs but hey in the end i still hate dell and will never by a prebuilt pc.

PostPost subject: Re: dell = h*ll        Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:41 pm 
Permanently Banned

amrisch069 wrote:
i did a case swap with a dimension 3000 desktop and it sucked, all the connections were different from normal computers, ie, fan connector, usb header, and not to mention one 3 pin fan header on the motherboard, the same computer suffered from bsod errors with udma enabled and when looking into the problem there was a section of wire missing from the ide cable, when i asked dell about this for fun, the representive tried to tell me they do this on lower end pc's, which is cleary bs but hey in the end i still hate dell and will never by a prebuilt pc.

I'm pretty much going all laptop these days. I only have this G4 desktop because I don't really want to part with it. I'll probably just have it sitting around when I buy a macbook soon.

All laptop = win. I do not want to spend an entire day building a desktop, when i can go just buy a laptop, spend 10 minutes setting it up, and be rocking. After all, I take my [censored] with me to class, work, home, panera, etc...

Top  Profile