BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 8h, 33m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 6004MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: HD Problem.        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:06 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Today I bought a new hard drive from newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822144309
A "Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JB 250GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM"
I installed it as slave in my computer, and restarted Windows 2000. I start Disk Management, and see ' Disk 1, 128GB ' . What happened to the rest of teh harddrive? Its a brand new 250GB. My BIOS isn't that old either, 6/1/05 is the date i believe. Whats wrong and how can I fix it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:18 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Your system doesn't have 48bit LBA enabled.

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/enablebiglba.exe

Run this, click the button, reboot and it should show up as 250GB.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:24 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Andy wrote:

should I check LBA in the BIOS?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:25 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Fireware wrote:
Andy wrote:

I've never had to so just use the program and see where that gets you.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Fireware wrote:
Andy wrote:

nvm, thanks andy! It worked!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:30 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Glad I could help :)

EDIT: I should mention, keep it safe, that exe, you'll need it every time you format your pc or use another OS. And for gods sake don't keep it on that drive! I made that mistake last time and had to search google for 30 mins to find the registry entry it changes.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:36 am 
Donator

I see you're running Win2k. Make sure you have the latest SP (i.e. SP4) installed, as earlier SPs can cause data loss if 48-bit LBA is enabled. As for another OS, this registry entry will have any relevance on Windows 2000 (any SP) and XP prior to SP2 only.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:00 am 
FTP Access

I didn't think windows 2000 supported large hard drives greater than 128 GB.

I have an old PII 300 MHz machine running Windows XP pro sp2. I have to hard drives in my computer that are larger than 128 GB and windows saw all the capacity without any modifications or special programs. What is weird is my BIOS thinks the drives are 8 GB when they are really 160 and 200 GB.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
When I format, and put XP Pro Corp SP2 on this pc again, will I have to run this app?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:17 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Fireware wrote:
When I format, and put XP Pro Corp SP2 on this pc again, will I have to run this app?

Yes. Make sure you don't try to write to the 250GB drive otherwise you could destroy its data. It won't appear until you run the program.

Also note. If it does appear but you haven't run the program, RUN IT ANYWAY. I destroyed a lot of data by not doing so as it will only read the first 130gb or so of data on the disk.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:25 am 
Donator

DORFD1 wrote:
I didn't think windows 2000 supported large hard drives greater than 128 GB.

I have an old PII 300 MHz machine running Windows XP pro sp2. I have to hard drives in my computer that are larger than 128 GB and windows saw all the capacity without any modifications or special programs. What is weird is my BIOS thinks the drives are 8 GB when they are really 160 and 200 GB.

1) Of course Windows 2000 supports drives greater than 128GB, you just have to enable 48-bit LBA. That capability doesn't depend on your system's BIOS as NT systems don't give a damn about what the BIOS says about the HDs.
2) That's because you have XP w/SP2, where 48-bit LBA is enabled out of the box.

Andy wrote:
Yes. Make sure you don't try to write to the 250GB drive otherwise you could destroy its data. It won't appear until you run the program.

Also note. If it does appear but you haven't run the program, RUN IT ANYWAY. I destroyed a lot of data by not doing so as it will only read the first 130gb or so of data on the disk.

No. Not if you're installing a copy of XP that has SP1 or 2 integrated. It's only necessary for Windows 2000 (SP3 and up) or a "gold" copy of XP. I never ever had to do this after installing from slipstreamed XP media. I just set up Windows FLP which is nothing else than XP w/SP2 slipstreamed on my testing box which has a 160GB HD, it was fully recognized out of the box. This page perfectly explains it:
http://www.48bitlba.com/enablebiglba.htm

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:57 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
1) Of course Windows 2000 supports drives greater than 128GB, you just have to enable 48-bit LBA. That capability doesn't depend on your system's BIOS as NT systems don't give a damn about what the BIOS says about the HDs.
2) That's because you have XP w/SP2, where 48-bit LBA is enabled out of the box.

Would windows 9x/me be able to only read 8 GBs of data on a system like mine? I am just wondering.

If you run partition magic for DOS and the drive is already formatted, partition magic will display the actual size of the partition.

I beleive if the drive is not formatted It would only let you create a artition with a max size of 8 GBs if used on a system similar to mine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:00 am 
Donator

DORFD1 wrote:
empireum wrote:

Would windows 9x/me be able to only read 8 GBs of data on a system like mine? I am just wondering.

Probably; you might be able to get around that by installing your chipset drivers, some include an updated IDE driver that will work around this limitation, but otherwise, you'd be stuck with 8 GBs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:03 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
DORFD1 wrote:
empireum wrote:

Probably; you might be able to get around that by installing your chipset drivers, some include an updated IDE driver that will work around this limitation, but otherwise, you'd be stuck with 8 GBs.

at school I beleive the our break fix machines with are ibm netvistas could recognize large hard drives in the bios setup. I was able to repartition a 40 GB hard drive with partiton magic 7 for windows in Windows 98 se and was able to use all space not just 8 GB.

I beleive newer BIOSes can recognize large hard drives.

I don't know if you know this but there are drivers for Windows NT 4.0 that will enable it to read and write FAT32 drives.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:38 am 
Donator

Quote:
I beleive newer BIOSes can recognize large hard drives.

Of course they can. What's your point?

Quote:
I don't know if you know this but there are drivers for Windows NT 4.0 that will enable it to read and write FAT32 drives.

Yes, I know, but what's the context? This is not dealing with NT, this is dealing with 48-bit LBA. :)

Top  Profile