BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 13h, 35m | CPU: 25% | MEM: 2186MB of 3735MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Tranfering files        Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:10 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4015.lab06
I have two computers, a Dell Demension 2200 and a Acer laptop. I just found out that the dell can rip gc discs, but it cant write the iso to a disk. I ripped a game and want to transfer the file, but i dont know how. both are running winxp. i am soon getting a wireless router, if i can do anything with that.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:22 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Connect the two pc's together with two Ethernet cables, share the drives and bobs your uncle. Its that easy. Then use network places or \\computername to access them.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:38 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Be sure to disable the firewalls first.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:45 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4015.lab06
Is there a program i can use to transfer the files? because most of the sites tell me to us crossover cables, i only have regular ones.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:23 pm 
Donator

Dr Eggman wrote:
Is there a program i can use to transfer the files? because most of the sites tell me to us crossover cables, i only have regular ones.

If you want to join two computers with ethernet, you have to use a crossover cable, otherwise it won't work. You'll have the send connection on one computer sending to the send connection of the other.

If you had some tools handy, you could rewire your ethernet cable so it's a crossover cable. All you need to do is swap wires 1&3 and 2&6 on one end only. Or you could just buy an adapter, or just buy a crossover cable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:22 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
If you want to join two computers with ethernet, you have to use a crossover cable, otherwise it won't work.

Not true. If he has a router, which he says he is going to get, he will need standard patch cables. Crossover cables will often not work with a router.

I recommend not trying to go for the crossover cable route (eg no router) because it is so difficult to get working and to keep it working. I myself have tried numerous times and never succeeded to keep it working for longer than a few hours or after a reboot.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:04 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
If you want to join two computers with ethernet, you have to use a crossover cable, otherwise it won't work.

Not true. If he has a router, which he says he is going to get, he will need standard patch cables. Crossover cables will often not work with a router.

I recommend not trying to go for the crossover cable route (eg no router) because it is so difficult to get working and to keep it working. I myself have tried numerous times and never succeeded to keep it working for longer than a few hours or after a reboot.

I have used the cross-over method multiple times, even for extended time periods, and never had a single problem. It was a piece of cake to get working. Connect the cables, set up TCP/IP and stuff, done.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:37 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:

I meant joining two computers directly.

If you use the Windows XP Network Setup Wizard to set up your network, if you set one computer to be the computer with the internet connection, then everything should work pretty nicely. Sometimes you need to go into cmd and type "ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew" to renew your IP, but otherwise it doesn't work too badly.

Plus, some routers and switches do let you use crossover cables as normal cables, mine does at least.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]