XP Boot Problem

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Dr Eggman
FTP Access

XP Boot Problem

Post by Dr Eggman »

We recently got a Dell Dimension 2200 from my mom's friend. Now, whenever I try to boot it, it sticks at the welcome sceen, then goes to my regular background, but with no start menu or icons. I can open task manager and winlogon.exe is working, but i can't figure out the problem. I don't have an install disc so i can't boot from that, any help would be greatly appreciated. NOTE: If i need to get the disc, or send it to repairs, i will just load longhorn 5048 on it, though i would rather have XP.
I am The Eggman! -The Doctor
Like Pictures? Bored? Check out some Photography and "Like" it! Check it out here!

constrictor
Donator

Post by constrictor »

In task manager start a new task and enter explorer.exe and see if u get in.

Skyfrog
FTP Access

Post by Skyfrog »

Will it work in safe mode? You might check the bootlog.txt file and get some clues, or the event log.

Dr Eggman
FTP Access

Post by Dr Eggman »

How do I boot into safe mode? I will try the 'explorer.exe' thing.
I am The Eggman! -The Doctor
Like Pictures? Bored? Check out some Photography and "Like" it! Check it out here!

Skyfrog
FTP Access

Post by Skyfrog »

Hold the F8 key as your computer is booting. A menu should appear, choose safe mode. Hopefully you will be able to boot successfully into Windows (though with VGA graphics and minimal driver support). From there you might want to run msconfig and see what programs are loading at startup, one of them may be what is causing the trouble. You can get to the event log by typing eventvwr.msc into the run box. This may also help you figure out what is going wrong.

PhantomX
FTP Access

Post by PhantomX »

Are you running any kind of Antivirus ? Most start up problems come from either Hardware of software Issues , Do you have onboard vedio card or is it a pci or agp.. If you are running Antivirus, try removing it and see if it will still hang.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

The last [censored] post in this thread was 10 months ago...