Replacing Microsoft Office with OpenOffice

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Which is a better installation?

Keep Office XP. Remove OpenOffice.
60%
Keep OpenOffice. Remove OfficeXP.
40%

Total votes: 20

ddrmaxromance
FTP Access

Replacing Microsoft Office with OpenOffice

Post by ddrmaxromance »

Hello everyone. I recently installed the latest build of OpenOffice and noticed it to be faster and more secure than my installation of Office XP. So I was wondering if I could get some opinions on if it's a bad idea to replace Office XP with OpenOffice. Obviously, one can be legally ran on many computers without licenses or keys as well as getting updates. However, one could state that OpenOffice is more reliable and more supported, thus, should only be used for "testing" purposes.

So, state your opinions. Should Office XP go?
Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

Don't uninstall Office XP, its awesome, more stable than 2003, and prettier than 2000.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

tpemail
FTP Access

Post by tpemail »

Either OpenOffice or Office 2003.
Office XP p**sed me off very well cuz it's buggy as hell.

spaceship9
FTP Access

Post by spaceship9 »

I wouldn't say uninstall Office XP
but defiantly keep Open Office

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

tpemail wrote:Either OpenOffice or Office 2003.
Office XP p**sed me off very well cuz it's buggy as hell.
I haven't gotten any bugs with Office XP and my school still uses it for the computers. I do still prefer Office 2003 over Office XP because it's prettier (don't know why) but Office XP can in my eyes does everything Office 2003 does (except Office XP image transparency is buggy) and it works on 98.What kind of bugs did you get?

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Use OpenOffice, maybe keep Office XP for recovery purposes (i.e. for documents not displaying correctly in OO). I've been using OpenOfice exclusively for years, it's pretty enough for me, fast, stable and has the features I need. Furthermore, it works on multiple OSes, something MS Office doesn't (out of the box, that is).

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Keep office XP, i prefer it to openoffice. But really, its just preference, but i think since you've got office, use it. On other computers use openoffice by all means.

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

hounsell wrote:Keep office XP, i prefer it to openoffice. But really, its just preference, but i think since you've got office, use it.
I have the same opinion

blahsucks-two
FTP Access

Post by blahsucks-two »

If just a word processor is needed, AbiWord does a good job. I don't really know about this; I skipped from Office 2000 to Office 2007 (got me a free copy of that). Office is also fairly bloated and affects your system in various ways (weird DLLs installed, updates, patches), which you might want to take into consideration.

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

I would say Keep office XP. It is Opinion, but in my experience openoffice has often been slower than Office.
-Jeff

hjort
FTP Access

Post by hjort »

Keep MS office. It`s the best in my opinion
My gaming machine: AST Advantage 6066d. Cyrix 66MHz 486DX. 4MB RAM. 512KB Cirrus Logic onboard graphics. Creativa Vibra 16 ISA. 520MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 40x CD-ROM. MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.1

Frozenport
FTP Access
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

I like Office XP for its better file compatibility, especially in the field of PowerPoints. Furthermore, Sigmaplot doesn't run on openoffice

Why not run both?

Personally, I like both a lot but Office 12 (2007) has me currently favoring Microsofts products...
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

ppc_digger
Donator

Post by ppc_digger »

Frozenport wrote:I like Office XP for its better file compatibility
That statement makes me laugh. I've seen Word displaying documents incorrectly because they were created with a computer connected to a Letter printer and viewed with one connected to an A4 printer. Word is the only application I know of that is not even fully compatible with the same version of itself.

Anyway, I would use OO primarily, and keep Office just in case.

ToastyCheesy
FTP Access

Post by ToastyCheesy »

I'd say use openoffice, but I haven't used it as much since I installed Koffice (KDE)