BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 11h, 12m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 5583MB of 10924MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Can I Run Vista Aero Glass?        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4015.lab06
Hello!

In my laptop I have a ATi Radeon Xpress 200M series GPU (it is currently in DX9) and I was wondering if I upgrade to Vista (Which I Won't) if I can use Aero Glass. Currently, I have it set up to 64mb Ram, but I can always change it from my BIOS (because its a GPU, not a graphics card, I can allocate different amounts of RAM to it.)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I Run Vista Aero Glass?        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:01 pm 
Donator

Dr Eggman wrote:
Hello!

In my laptop I have a ATi Radeon Xpress 200M series GPU (it is currently in DX9) and I was wondering if I upgrade to Vista (Which I Won't) if I can use Aero Glass. Currently, I have it set up to 64mb Ram, but I can always change it from my BIOS (because its a GPU, not a graphics card, I can allocate different amounts of RAM to it.)

By the look of it the Xpress 200M will run Aero Glass. I would probably bump the RAM up to 128mb if possible though as it would make it smoother.

However, if you're on a laptop, and on batteries a lot of the time, you might want to consider turning off the glass because it does have an effect on battery life.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I Run Vista Aero Glass?        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Dr Eggman wrote:

On my laptop, a HP nx6125, I have a ATI Radeon Xpress 200M as well. It barely squeaks past the benchmark to run Aero Glass. You will have to up the memory on the card to 128mb in the BIOS however. As long as you have sufficient RAM and a good processor, you should be able to run Aero Glass. But as the previous post mentions, it'll eat up your battery so you should consider switching out of it when not using the power cord.

"You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water." --Rabindranath Tagore

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4015.lab06
Thanks! But I am mostly on my adapter most of the time.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I Run Vista Aero Glass?        Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:02 am 
Rhykin wrote:
On my laptop, a HP nx6125, I have a ATI Radeon Xpress 200M as well. It barely squeaks past the benchmark to run Aero Glass. You will have to up the memory on the card to 128mb in the BIOS however. As long as you have sufficient RAM and a good processor, you should be able to run Aero Glass. But as the previous post mentions, it'll eat up your battery so you should consider switching out of it when not using the power cord.

If you do like Aero, you can keep it on...I believe that it is the transparency, which can be turned off, that eats up the battery life

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:39 am 
Donator

yeah you should be able to run Vistas aero glass theme on about 128 mb of video ram

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:11 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
It is important to note that if most of your GPU and a good chunk of ram is running just the GUI then what will run the programs? My reccomendation is not to run the eye candy :D

Top  Profile  WWW