So I got a new router... now what to do with the old one...

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Andy
Administrator

So I got a new router... now what to do with the old one...

Post by Andy »

Hi all,

You may have noticed the odd outage this evening on the site. This is because I got a new router and I've been fiddling A Linksys WRT54GL is what I got and I installed the DD-WRT firmware on it.

Now, after some tinkering I wondered, what shall I do with my old router and wireless AP? Well, I thought, I'll be clever, and put it to good use.

Ever seen open wireless hotspots, maybe from a neighbour etc? Well I have, and I decided to try something out. My old AP allows something called AP client mode. This means it connects to the AP as if it were a laptop, etc. Now, I have the old router. This means I can plug the AP into the WAN port of the router and have it act like it was the old modem. BINGO! It works However, the signal is only about 30% and it regularly loses the connection but tomorrow Im going to move it into another room where the signal is better and see how it goes there.

So, the setup? Easy:

Neighbour > Wifi ~~~ My AP > My router > My laptop

It gives me a WAN IP of 192.168.2.6 which is DHCP assigned at the other end (so its obviously not a WAN IP). Their router is also unsecured in terms of password etc but I will be leaving that alone, only fair.

So now I have my own 4Mbps VM cable connection into my house and also a 2Mbps VM connection over wireless if needs be

Just a little fun to liven up my night a bit

longview
FTP Access

Post by longview »

Hey that's pretty neat.
I wish I had stupid neighbours...

blahsucks-two
FTP Access

Post by blahsucks-two »

Been wanting to try that with my own routers, as a sort of cheap wireless extension; I tried it before, didn't work, but now I probably have the equipment. Neat stuff.

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

Keep it tucked away. Routers die and you'll need a backup till you get a new one, if that day ever comes.

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

Nice one

Though you should give the Tomato firmware a try before you commit yourself to DD-WRT... DD-WRT is excellent, but Tomato has some nice enhancements like an AJAX-y user interface, and realtime graphing of your bandwidth for your internet connection, your cabled clients and your wifi clients:
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:Nice one

Though you should give the Tomato firmware a try before you commit yourself to DD-WRT... DD-WRT is excellent, but Tomato has some nice enhancements like an AJAX-y user interface, and realtime graphing of your bandwidth for your internet connection, your cabled clients and your wifi clients:
snip
DD-WRT has a lot more features than Tomato, plus, if I want graphs I'll just use SNMP and PRTG, which is what I've been doing anyway.

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

Andy wrote: DD-WRT has a lot more features than Tomato, plus, if I want graphs I'll just use SNMP and PRTG, which is what I've been doing anyway.
Though a lot of the extra features DD-WRT provides are pretty useless. If all you need to do is route packets from your modem to your wifi clients, opening a few ports along the way, and checking on things every now and then when things break, then a lot of DD-WRT's bloat is useless to you. Plus QoS on the Tomato is better because it lets you easily choose what services you want prioritsed, and look at how much of your connection is being used by what services etc.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

compact-mac
Donator

Post by compact-mac »

My old router could do that, but it blew up (really, it did!)
CM's Old Website
Post Tenebras Spero Lucem
Forget DNS/HTTPS or DNS/TLS, the future is DNS over Avian.

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

i can pick up heaps of wireless connections upstairs (we live on a hill), though most have passwords

tristan
Donator

Post by tristan »

anyone wants my old conceptronic wireless router (with integrated modem), don't need it anymore, got a speedtouch 780 now
(something is wrong with the conceptronic modem, it doesn't give full speed on lan ports but it does on wireless but i don't need it anymore )

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

Andy, You should do this. (if your old one has a wireless repeater mode)
-Jeff

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Nice But I'd have no use for it

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

Oh, yeah... I keep forgetting that everyone doesn't have a big lot... (not that mine is very big...)
-Jeff