BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 15h, 59m | CPU: 53% | MEM: 6023MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Just think........        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:07 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Just think of the vista bug list
eg. loads of programs dont work with it.
discuss :shock:

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:08 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Do you have an example of a bug we could discuss?

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:12 am 
FTP Access

Bugs on final or on betas or on both?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:13 am 
Staff

Loads of programs wont work with it because its a newer version and different code and stuff.
Not exactly a bug.
Anyway, am I the only one who sees this is list the ways Vista is [censored]?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Just think........        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:14 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
load of programs dont work with it
needs a high spec.

im not saying them all now because im typeing this on a psp.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:16 am 
Staff

Still, both are not bugs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:22 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Beta Freak wrote:
Still, both are not bugs.

random shutdowns
constant crashing
and vista is on my core2duo

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 am 
Staff

Had none of these problems on my laptop.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:50 am 
Donator

My volume control doesn't work. I can move it up and down, mute it, whatever. It does nothing to the volume.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:03 am 
FTP Access

The only annoying bug i can remember now was some incompatibilities of the display driver. On some situations the screen used to get screwed. But only on some builds.
And webcam driver doesn't work on vista, and the manufacturer didn't make a driver for vista...

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:03 am 
FTP Access

BSoDs. OMG. I have never had a BSoD on Windows XP/2000/98, even, but I've seen three or four in the span of a few weeks on a new Vista. It disturbs me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:37 pm 
Donator

Wow. It's topics like these that make me never want to buy Vista.

I've decided that I'm not going to buy Vista until Service Pack 1 for it comes out. I did the same with Windows XP.

Sure, Vista looks good in the stores with all that transparency (unless it's just Vista Basic), but as Microsoft bring in new features, you'll never know if they'll work the way you want them to or how they should.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Eh, a new operating system isn't going to be compatible with everything when it releases, so as people mentioned, you should always expect bugs. The software that people wrote had Windows XP in mind not Windows Vista, thats why various software isn't working with it.

Before Vista came out, I've been testing different company's software (like AutoCAD, MatLabs, etc) on the Beta version (and CTP releases) of Vista to determine when we should deploy Vista to the computers here. I can tell you the difference I see now and then is massive and I'm quite impressed by it.

"You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water." --Rabindranath Tagore

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
I've been noticing a bug, after running Vista for a month now, which has gotten me rather pissed at times. Even though I have the "Customer Experience Program" turned off, Vista still tries to send an error report automatically, and tries to get a solution to the 'problem'. Most times, it will state that the program I was using needs to be updated, although, in the case of Firefox and Flash, this is not possible.

I'd love to know why Vista seems to think that updating to a newer version will fix crashes, and why also, it thinks I want to always send a bug report to Microsoft.

Aside from that, Vista's an ok product, in my honest, humble opinion.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:13 pm 
Donator

Rhykin wrote:
The software that people wrote had Windows XP in mind not Windows Vista, thats why various software isn't working with it.

You see, that's the problem. If I write software X for operating system Y, and I use APIs specific to the current version, that's fine, because I know these APIs won't be removed in a future version, but that is not the case with Vista.

For a programmer, the idea that an API would work in version n, but not in version n+1 is absurd. Just look anywhere else. On modern IBM mainframes (i.e. z9s running z/OS) you can still run programs compiled in the 60s, not only for an OS 15 generations behind, but for a completely different CPU architecture (S/360). Most *NIX interfaces are so standard that you can write a program, using, for example, X11 and pthread, on a modern Linux system, and compile it without modification on System V (from the mid 80s).

Writing software for a specific version of Windows is like making a car that can only go north. It's stupid and ineffective (unless you're Microsoft).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:02 pm 
Donator

ppc_digger wrote:
You see, that's the problem. If I write software X for operating system Y, and I use APIs specific to the current version, that's fine, because I know these APIs won't be removed in a future version, but that is not the case with Vista.

For a programmer, the idea that an API would work in version n, but not in version n+1 is absurd. Just look anywhere else. On modern IBM mainframes (i.e. z9s running z/OS) you can still run programs compiled in the 60s, not only for an OS 15 generations behind, but for a completely different CPU architecture (S/360). Most *NIX interfaces are so standard that you can write a program, using, for example, X11 and pthread, on a modern Linux system, and compile it without modification on System V (from the mid 80s).

Writing software for a specific version of Windows is like making a car that can only go north. It's stupid and ineffective (unless you're Microsoft).

A LOT of software nowadays comes with a driver and/or service that can execute code on an elevated level (CD Burning, Antivirus, etc). In these cases, the driver model changes... sometimes a lot.

Not to mention whole new ways of doing things... like UAC for instance. The uac prompt will trigger a break in the middle of code that quite possibly wasn't designed to be interrupted, especially that way. This can apply to any fundamental system wide changes.

So many reasons software might not work on the next version of said OS. Good luck getting a binary compiled for linux 2.4.* with Linux Threads , to work on a 2.6.* kernel with NPTL

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:47 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Ohh poo
Blue screen
>index mismach<what?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:03 am 
Donator

RentedMule wrote:
Not to mention whole new ways of doing things... like UAC for instance. The uac prompt will trigger a break in the middle of code that quite possibly wasn't designed to be interrupted, especially that way. This can apply to any fundamental system wide changes.

Aside from administrative software, no software should require administrative privileges. Do you know how rare it is to encounter a root password request on any UNIX? And don't give me that "old software" stuff. On Vista, you need to click "Allow" on the UAC prompt three times just to copy something to the global Start Menu folder.

RentedMule wrote:
So many reasons software might not work on the next version of said OS. Good luck getting a binary compiled for linux 2.4.* with Linux Threads , to work on a 2.6.* kernel with NPTL

No problems with that. No software directly uses the kernel-user threading interface (aside from being unportable between UNIXes, it's extremely complicated), they use pthread (which has had a standard interface for ~25 years). Therefore, you can even run such binaries on FreeBSD. A proof of that is the Linux version of Unreal Tournament 2004, which runs on Linux kernels since 2.2, plus being able to run on FreeBSD.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]