BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 13h, 57m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 2231MB of 3861MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: TCP/IP malfunctioning on WinXP        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:42 am 
Donator

Hello, I must admit I am at a loss here, looking for help.

Situation: One of the PCs of a friend's network is seriously acting up, probably due to a virus infection. The system's running Windows XP SP2, patches applied, firewall and AV now enabled (disabling them doesn't help). The story is that the PC got infected by a virus due to an infected e-mail attachment which he accidentally opened (don't ask) and then the OS became unusable. Using both a Windows PE and Linux Live CD with several virus scanners, I managed to get the hard disk clean again. But: TCP/IP has stopped working.

The system is correctly configured to use a router (DHCP disabled) to access the internet (IP, netmask, broadcast, gateway all correctly set) but nothing works. I can't access the LAN from that PC, it's not accessible by others, I can't even ping other systems from this one. Trying to ping anything apart from localhost/127.0.0.1 results in "PING: Error code 65" which seems to address a conflict between ICS and a firewall. ICS isn't enabled on that PC, disabling the firewall doesn't change anything either.

I know it's not a hardware problem because I can access the LAN/web on that particular system perfectly fine using a Windows PE and Linux Live CD, but the exact same settings on the Windows XP setup lead to nothing. Disabling and re-enabling TCP/IP (is it possible to reinstall it?) doesn't help.

So, is there anything I can do to get the system operational again? I'd need an answer until tomorrow morning as that's the last time I can tinker with that PC before I'd have to reinstall, as the PC needs to be usable again on Monday morning. Seriously, all I can think of now is either trying to do a repair install or... a complete reinstall, although I'd rather not do that, apparently.

Thanks in advance.

(PS: When posting suggestions, please keep in mind I have no access to the PC ATM.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:18 am 
Donator

I'd try comparing network-related service parameters to other PCs (especially the Routing and Remote Access service). Also, see if the routing table is set correctly (although, this is probably not the problem). Did you try System Restore?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:31 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Check if the DCOM service is enabled when you get chance. That could cause the problem.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
If the above options doesn't help for you than you can do an repair install of windows otherwise you could reinstall windows from clean.

If windows works again try to make a GHOST file with Symantec Ghost of it, so that you can put windows back againg in 10 minutes, with all applications installed and configured to that pc hardware and software specification.

I hope you can get it running again.
Good luck.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:40 am 
Donator

To be blunt, Antivirus software is useful to:

A) Prevent an infection
B) Inform you that you are infected

If it ever comes to B and you are in fact infected, reinstall. System code has been changed and you honestly have no idea if any of the virus is still laying around/active.

If you are in a position to where you can't reinstall the OS, you need to question why you are using a web browser/email on it in the first place.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:03 am 
FTP Access

I'm not completely sure, but I have had my shares of network errors and related things (always caused by me on purpose) so try one of these suggestions (or tell who ever is next to the computer to)

1. Winsock, might be screwed up due to the virus. Might cause lack of internet connectivity (and I guess pinging). Can be fixed here: http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlwinsockxpfix.html

2. Make sure the protocol drivers are enabled. Go to device manager, show hidden device. Make sure you see TCP/IP Protocol Driver, IPSec (the device not the service) working properly, if you are using wireless make sure NDIS Usermode I/O protocol is also enabled. By making sure I mean double clicking on the icon go to driver and make sure it says "enabled". If you don't have them respond and I'll send the registry keys and files

3. Make sure the right services are on, netman (Network Connections), WZCSVC (wireless), DCOM, RPC

4. Re enable to devices, go to device manager to force the network devices to be disabled and re enable it also in device manager. (You can also try the Network Connection method)

If you have tried all these, I have no clue. If they are not relevant, sorry :oops: . But I was able to recover a few of my own systems this way.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:14 am 
FTP Access

Make sure you have your XP cd handy...

goto start->run and type "sfc". Let it run and restore files. This makes sure all files are intact and working.

Remove all network adapters (boot in safe mode, there's a special option in device manager somewhere to view all devices).

Restart.

If that doesn't work, then try moving your network adapter to a different slot. Also go to blackviper's website and download the default service configuration for your version of XP and install that (then restart). Also try starting Windows Firewall.

If all else fails, do a repair install.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:04 am 
Donator

Well, got it sorted out now – by backing up all relevant data, reinstalling the system from scratch and installing all necessary patches and firewall/AV before even connecting to the network. :? It's all fine again now. I'm sorry (and still reluctant to believe it), but none of the above suggestions, including a repair install, managed to solve the problem. The OS must have been seriously messed up.

Top  Profile