BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 49d, 5h, 51m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 5610MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Hard disk conked out        Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:02 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
So, there I was, preparing my cheapo computer as a server. Windows 2000 Pro went on OK. It used to have a legal XP Pro but i decided to wipe it since it wasnt needed. I had all the files to go on the FTP server copied to an 8GB partition and then deleted the XP one. I installed 2k on it. So, instead of coping the files and stuff, I decided to merge the partitions together.Uh oh. The Pargon Disk Manager CD didn't tell em WHICH two it was merging. So I ended up with the whole of the new (32GB) partition merged with the 8GB, and the contents of the 32GB were in a folder called "Partition_0_0" and that included my 2K install. I fired up revovery console and when I had finished, I was swearing over my computer. WTF IS THE POINT OF HAVING A "RECOVER CONSOLE" WHEN YOU ATTEMPT TO "CD" A DIRECTORY I GET ACCESS IS DENIED TO ALL DIRECTORIES. WELL DONE M$. YOU HAVE CREATED AN EXCELLENT TOOL THAT LIVES TO ITS NAME :evil:

SO I used the only command that worked. It was "Fixboot".
OOPS. In BartPE, when I attempt to browse C:, I get "C:\ is not accessible. The Directory is corrupted and unreadable"

Can someone please help me? please? There's another new FTP server in it!

Last edited by compact-mac on Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:59 am 
Donator

"Access Denied" in this case has nothing to do with permissions. Your File Table/File System is corrupt

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
Oh dear. Any chance of a tool that can fix it?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Compact-mac wrote:

have you tried just putting the hard drive in another pc and running checkdisk, though i doubt itll be up for a job like that, but you never know...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
hounsell wrote:
Compact-mac wrote:

have you tried just putting the hard drive in another pc and running checkdisk, though i doubt itll be up for a job like that, but you never know...

I dont have a PC handy that will accept IDE drives. I do have a relative who has a computer with an IDE drive... but sadly it runs Windows ME. Still, There are other people I could ask too...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
OK, I ran Chkdsk GUI on BartPE and I got this:

Code:
Fixing errors on C:

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Unable to determine volume version and state.  CHKDSK aborted.

Press any key to continue . . .

On Gnome Partition Manager (Xubuntu and it's unmonutable) and on Paragon Partition Manager, they both report C: to be an unreadable volume. Partition Magic says it has an error 1400 or something, so I am stuck. I am posting this on the computer, with BartPE and FireFox Portable.

Edit: I have forund the problem. The MBR or Partition table has been F**ked by the (badword)ing useless (bad word'ers) Pargon HArd Disk Manager. Be wise and use PQ magic. Once I am done with that Hard Disk, I will use it as a football. Or prehaps a new chew toy for my dog. Who knows what other creative uses I can find?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:11 am 
FTP Access

Very messy. Usually in a situation like this you ought to be able to recover the partition table data (or even rebuild it by hand, like I did once) since NTFS keeps a backup copy of the important info at the end of the partition. Unfortunately, since you've merged the partitions it's not clear whether there is any valid data anywhere... Could be very risky to 'correct' the table with the wrong data.

I would try using something like GetDataBack (you will need another drive to copy the data to). GetDataBack will take a long time to scan the disk, but it should be able to find the data since all your data is probably intact, just not referenced properly.

PS. Never run chkdsk on a corrupt file system unless you have tried EVERYTHING else and don't mind losing your data (maybe you backed it up with GetDataBack already and just want to see if you can get the FS working again). In my experience it only makes things worse. Chkdsk is designed to leave the file system consistent, but doesn't care about your data. I once had a simple corruption problem.. Chkdsk went and deleted ALL file references from the drive, making recovery FAR more difficult. Sure the file system was 'clean' afterwards, but a format would have been just as useful :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:28 pm 
FTP Access

Drives are cheap now, use the old drive as a chew toy for your dog and buy a 320GB Seagate. Them things PWN royally, and don't cost that much anymore. If we had an FTP with a 320GB drive, we could have all we want on it. I have quite a bit of stuff I could upload, BTW.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:01 am 
Donator

Compact-mac wrote:
Who knows what other creative uses I can find?

If it's not physically damaged, why throw it away? Just rebuild the partition table.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
@ ppc_digger and ZSS9393: I was only joking. If I get a new disk, I could have like the OS disk and the files disk.

@ rawr: its a good job that chkdsk didn't try to fix it. Well, I will use GetDataBack when I get the Disk again. Unfortunately I sent it to the computer shop before I read your post. They will most likely do the same, and charge a lot for it. I will not pay a lot for it anyway.

The thing is, there was a single file on that drive that should be considered very valuable, really, I salvaged it off an FTP. But I won't say what it is. Not yet.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:16 pm 
FTP Access

Also, IIRC, the recovery console only allows access to the Windows folder, unless you use a special command, which I haven't remembered. :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:30 pm 
Donator

Bas wrote:
Also, IIRC, the recovery console only allows access to the Windows folder, unless you use a special command, which I haven't remembered. :(

You have to change a registry entry first (before booting the console) and then you can enable access to all folders by typing
Code:
set AllowAllPaths = true

IIRC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:21 am 
FTP Access

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/235364

It's a Group Policy thing you have to change from Management Console. It's the same way in XP, too. That always seemed like an unnecessary measure, especially since an Administrator password is required.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
thanks guys, I was charged £15 from da computer shop for nothing, I will try GetDataBack, since the table is screwed (courtesy of the computer shop) I cant use much else. If they formatted it, then, I hope its a "Quick" one, the one that removes all entries from the table, not the "Full" one, if its the latter, Im screwed.

Top  Profile  WWW