BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 10h, 57m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 1765MB of 3361MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: The iPhone is finally available...        Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...and im sick and tired about hearing about the iPhone... when it launches out of the us this year and next year, any1 outside the us will understand why i despise it already, even though i have yet to see one that wasnt on the web

i got bored earlier and did sum experimenting with the Gimp:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:20 pm 
FTP Access

I'm sick and tired of hearing about the iPhone, but not because I can't afford one... rather, it's because stories about the iPhone are clogging up my RSS Reader...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:24 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
its the same here, but ive been on the phone with 1 of my friends 4 a couple of minutes who has it and he keeps saying how great it is and its bugging me because i cant afford one- hence the picture

and i hate things that clog my RSS Reader- its like Vista back in January but worse now...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:43 pm 
FTP Access

benny1091 wrote:
its the same here, but ive been on the phone with 1 of my friends 4 a couple of minutes who has it and he keeps saying how great it is and its bugging me because i cant afford one- hence the picture

and i hate things that clog my RSS Reader- its like Vista back in January but worse now...

Personally I think that the iPhones flaws will bug people sooner or later. Considering that you can't replace the battery, nor add any storage place, not to mention that its not really a smartphone at all (just a regular phone with a touchscreen and the Apple name)

However Apple has once again capitalized on the fad they have created, making millions on products that are technically inferior or semi-flawed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:03 pm 
FTP Access

it's apple so it's good
Oh, look! It's not just an Apple phone! it's an iPhone!! It's PERSONAL and it's GOOD!!!
NOT
I got one a tiny bit ago (do NOT ask) and it was... worth perhaps $200. Just for "poops and giggles" I bought another one to see if it was worth anymore.. yes it was.. now it's like $250.
apple just uses their "cool" from the iPod trend and hopes it'll catch on the iPhone, after all there IS an I in iPhone... it's for ME!

that was random and with no logical format...
so lemme just say that I agree with benny.
iHate the iPhone.

EDIT:
For the record i didn't keep either of the iPhones, I capitilized on the same trend as apple and sold mine to friends... and I added even more on the apple price...
that's the good thing about trendy things you don't like... get 'em and sell 'em to stupid people who do like them...

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:02 pm 
Donator

I personally would like to give the iPhone a try although I have no plans to buy it. I agree they overdid it with the hype and people will soon discover any flaws thid device might/does have. I'll keep my Prada phone.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:38 pm 
Donator

I will be a purchaser whenever the second gen comes out. I don't like apple first gen products.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
I am with Jeff.
I will consider getting a iPhone when the second generation comes out as it should have updates to the iPhone.
Another problem with the iPhone is that i have my doubts that any phone carrier here would have iPhone plans at a good price.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:02 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
I had a chance to play around with the iPhone, at the AT&T store here. It was nice, but I can't really figure out why somebody would spend $600 on a phone. I mean, its nice, but for $600, I could buy somthing more useful, like a basic cell phone and a laptop, or a car.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:08 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Read about the stuff that the iPhone can't do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone#Criticisms

These were weaknesses that discouraged me from even considering an iPhone. It's going to flop, as soon as demand goes down after the next few weeks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:03 am 
FTP Access

iPhone = Over-hyped mess that costs way too much.

neo1973 = A phone that does everything the iPhone does for 250 dollars less. Also runs open source OpenMoko linux.

Seriously.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:39 am 
FTP Access

XX55XX wrote:
Read about the stuff that the iPhone can't do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone#Criticisms

These were weaknesses that discouraged me from even considering an iPhone. It's going to flop, as soon as demand goes down after the next few weeks.

That link is dead now, and the criticisms section of the entry is gone now.
It's so obvious that a fanboy did this, and that just bugs me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:36 am 
Donator

the iphone is such a waste of money i would never buy one

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:26 pm 
Donator

i don't like it, but that isn't because i can't afford one (i could if i wanted it, and if it was out here) but because why would i want to waste so much money on a phone that has no features, my NZ$70 phone has MMS and the iPhone don't

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:56 pm 
FTP Access

I want a fake iphone like that ;-)
there is many funny chinese phones on ebay, but there are to expensive (150e for un unlocked phone but I can have brand new Sony Ericsson for less than 30e with my operator :s )

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:21 pm 
Donator

atomcomputer wrote:
I want a fake iphone like that ;-)
there is many funny chinese phones on ebay, but there are to expensive (150e for un unlocked phone but I can have brand new Sony Ericsson for less than 30e with my operator :s )

That doesn't look too bad, indeed. :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:53 am 
FTP Access

now THAT"s an iPhone that might be worth $300...

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:39 pm 
FTP Access

Westbalkanian Computing Industry Wastelands
About the features: I've got a 2-years old Nokia 6600 (it's market price is under $100), and the little stuff is even capable to run an Apache web server, so Apple Hypemaker Corporation can lick my balls.

Anyway has anyone heard of the iPhone activation? I think Apple is degraded to a Microsoft-in-a-fancy-outfit level.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:54 pm 
Donator

Grisa wrote:
Anyway has anyone heard of the iPhone activation? I think Apple is degraded to a Microsoft-in-a-fancy-outfit level.

I agree, that activation system is ridicolous. This is a phone, not a nuclear bomb.
But: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20070705/bs_nf/53591 To be continued...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:06 pm 
Donator

empireum wrote:
Grisa wrote:

I agree, that activation system is ridicolous. This is a phone, not a nuclear bomb.
But: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20070705/bs_nf/53591 To be continued...

That activates the phone to enable iPod functionality, syncing, and wifi, but then you can't use it as a phone. So you still can't put your own sim card into it. Bleh.

The iPhone is a piece of turd. No MMS, no video recording, no voice recording, non-tactile keyboard that isn't designed well, and Apple have inflated the hype way past what is acceptable for a consumer gadget. So many people will be brainwashed into thinking it's a "revolution" when really it's a steaming pile of turd of a phone.

I'll stick to my Nokia 6610 for now ... lol, it's very old. It has a camera with a full resolution of 176x120 or something. :P But, at least it does MMS. The iPhone can't. ^_^

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:27 pm 
Donator

@pr0gram the pr0grammer
1) I know, thus I wrote "To be continued..."
2) Partially agreed.
3) True. :lol:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
casablanca wrote:
That link is dead now, and the criticisms section of the entry is gone now.
It's so obvious that a fanboy did this, and that just bugs me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... Criticisms
That's the archived version from about when the link was posted.

I think the iPhone looks nice, but no 3G, no MMS, no open API and all the other missing features makes it not worth it.

I suggest you Linux people look at the Qtopia Greenphone. Sure it costs $695, but you can hack it all you want.
Tolltech came to my school a while back and showed it to us, you can develop apps in C++, and you can telnet to it over USB.
The development environment (Free for GPL 2) uses VMware and has an emulator that lets you develop apps without the phone as well.

Some specs:
  • Linux kernel 2.4.19
  • Touch-screen and keypad UI
  • 64MB RAM & 128MB Flash
  • Bluetooth® equipped
  • Mini-USB port

This is more of a toy than a real phone though, the phone system also runs as a embedded, closed system on a separate CPU because they aren't allowed to open-source it.
(I am in no way affiliated with Trolltech)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:53 am 
FTP Access

Maybe I'm biased, but I think one could just get a Windows Mobile phone..

Microsoft has an emulator, I think, and you can use VS 2005 to develop things in C#/C++ for the phone (real things, with binaries, obviously, not that Web 2.0 nonsense). Not only that, you usually get an expansion slot, Bluetooth, IR, and Wi-Fi default. The app base is much larger than with one of those niche Linux phones, too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:40 pm 
FTP Access

I agree... Windows Mobile is very good... probably the best in the market, and often quiet cheap phones.
though if you plan to get an expensive phone... perhaps wait a little
the OpenMoko team is releasing a phone later this year that has the iPhone eye candy, but has everything else that you want with iPhone... unlocked for service, bluetooth, opensource, 3rd party apps, and all for less then $400.
It's linux though... but you probably wont care once you see it own everything else

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]