BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 31d, 13h, 22m | CPU: 31% | MEM: 5914MB of 10867MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: STOP LINKING TO WINWORLD'S DOWNLOADS DIRECTLY!!!        Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:50 am 
Permanently Banned

Sorry for the caps, but please, I'm the one who pays for the server those downloads are on. It's bad enough when WinBoards users bitch about downloads, but when others are hotlinking to them, it's annoying, as the money for that server comes out of my pocket.

So please, stop.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:02 am 
Donator

Not to say you don't have a reason to bitch, but come into the 21st century and deny downloading of anything that doesn't come from your site.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:08 am 
Permanently Banned

We have had very few referer problems, expect for this site.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Some links removed, if you see more, PM me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:33 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Unfortunately hotlinking is not something you can "ban" someone from doing. BA members can hotlink to any site all they like and I have nothing against it. If you don't want people downloading from you then why host the files? Files are there to be downloaded, if you don't want people downloading them, don't make them open to the public. Its as simple as that. If bandwidth is so expensive, find another providor or find somewhere with more initial bandwidth.

The FTP server we host has 1TB of bandwidth and its NEVER gone over 700gb usage despite it being open to anyone to download in the past.

Im sorry for being totally opposite to everyone else but it annoys me when people say "stop downloading my files" when they are plainly open for download anyway.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:29 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
Unfortunately hotlinking is not something you can "ban" someone from doing. BA members can hotlink to any site all they like and I have nothing against it. If you don't want people downloading from you then why host the files? Files are there to be downloaded, if you don't want people downloading them, don't make them open to the public. Its as simple as that. If bandwidth is so expensive, find another providor or find somewhere with more initial bandwidth.

The FTP server we host has 1TB of bandwidth and its NEVER gone over 700gb usage despite it being open to anyone to download in the past.

Im sorry for being totally opposite to everyone else but it annoys me when people say "stop downloading my files" when they are plainly open for download anyway.

You're missing the point... this is the site owner asking for hotlinking to stop. Whether or not hotlinking is a big deal or not, is not being debated here. Zimmy wants people to stop hotlinking downloads off his site, and so I think we need to respect his request.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:18 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
You're missing the point... this is the site owner asking for hotlinking to stop. Whether or not hotlinking is a big deal or not, is not being debated here. Zimmy wants people to stop hotlinking downloads off his site, and so I think we need to respect his request.

Yes I know its the site owner, but hotlinking is not against the law. Try telling places like google to "stop hotlinking my site". Why stop the hotlinking but allow a link to the homepage, when they're only going to go and find the download anyway? It defeats the object. Imagine Google telling millions of people to stop hotlinking them. How many of those would listen do you think?

If you want to respect his wishes then do so, but I have every right to post any link I want. It doesn't matter who the owner is. If the owner doesn't like hotlinking, they should use some form of server-side protection to prevent it, just like we do with the images.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:40 am 
FTP Access

A compromise might be for people to rehost the files on one of the betaarchive FTPs and link to the rehosted version rather than the winworld version? This could be a 'guideline' that is encouraged if none of the mods wish to enforce it.

A lack of available bandwidth on Zimmy's part is a legitimate issue and I think finding a win-win resolution to this problem is in the best interests of everybody in the community (I know how sad I was to see grabberslasher's FTP go, and I still haven't seen many of the things on it available anywhere else).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:46 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
rawr wrote:
A compromise might be for people to rehost the files on one of the betaarchive FTPs and link to the rehosted version rather than the winworld version? This could be a 'guideline' that is encouraged if none of the mods wish to enforce it.

A lack of available bandwidth on Zimmy's part is a legitimate issue and I think finding a win-win resolution to this problem is in the best interests of everybody in the community (I know how sad I was to see grabberslasher's FTP go, and I still haven't seen many of the things on it available anywhere else).

It would make sense.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:08 am 
FTP Access

Andy.... if you dont mind hotlinking....
then why do i get a "no hotlinking" when i submit a picture here and use it as my avatar somewhere else?!
:twisted:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:28 pm 
Donator

Some site have their own prevention against hotlinking. Like you cant doenload somethings from certain sites if you were link directly to there, you must vista their site first. Or have seperate accounts and password for downloads located at his site like what andy does.
You can't blame BA just because there are links here, I bet some other people hotlinked your server somewhere else, but you have yet to discover.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:26 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
alisdair wrote:
Andy.... if you dont mind hotlinking....
then why do i get a "no hotlinking" when i submit a picture here and use it as my avatar somewhere else?!
:twisted:

No I said why should I not hotlink if you haven't put in measures to stop it? I've put in measures to stop it happening. If you don't want someone to link to your files, use hotlinking protection.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]