BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 50d, 5h, 33m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 6577MB of 11391MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: need help setting up a server.        Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:50 pm 
FTP Access

hello. I am trying to set up phpBB3, but am having trouble with the SQL bit of the equation.

What I am using:

Linux

Abyss web server X1 2.4

php 5.2.3

phpBB3 alpha

What I have tried to use:

Mysql 4/5/6 (too complicated for me to understand right now, maybe tomarrow)

Firebird 2.0 (incompatible with vmware)

SQlite (works, but makes general errors and appears to delete entire databases)

postgreSQL (installed, but I recieve no response)

Oracle (ok, I have gotten the farthest with it, all the way to the web control panel, I just dot know what to do from there.

Also, I was wondering on what a good java IRC applet was...

thanks for your help

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:37 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
MySQL is by far the easiest. Id stick with that.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Gentoo
Abyss is your problem, abyss is the reason for everything that has ever gone wrong went wrong.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:05 pm 
Donator

kichimi wrote:
Abyss is your problem, abyss is the reason for everything that has ever gone wrong went wrong.

.... you're brave. :P

*predicts the poop will hit the fan in the next post*

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:01 pm 
Donator

kichimi wrote:

...You're Very Very Brave

Actually, it's not that bad of a server... I use it...

*moves up the prediction of the poop that will hit the fan to the next post*

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:17 am 
Donator

kichimi wrote:

I totally agree with you there :lol:

As Andy said, MySQL is easiest. it is easier to set up and configure under windows than it is under linux. Then it is a *simple* case of setting up phpMyAdmin which will allow you to create and edit databases

The Number One HTTP Server On The Internet

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Firebird?        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:55 am 
Donator

How is firebird incompatible with VMWare? Aside from it being a USERSPACE application, Ive been running a firebird server in VMWare since like 2000.

And besides, someone who recommends MySQL doesn't know s**t about databases. It is broken by design.

Admin Edit: Do NOT swear in posts. If you MUST swear, star it out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:22 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
kichimi wrote:

You only say this because you couldn't be bothered to get it to work.

Abyss is not the isse, its simply the configuration and lack of knowledge on fixing it.

www.abyssunderground.co.uk will help you. I run this site so I know everything works.

Quote:
And besides, someone who recommends MySQL doesn't know s**t about databases. It is broken by design.

So why does most of the web based databases run on MySQL then, including the one running this website?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Gentoo
Andy wrote:
kichimi wrote:

Abyss is not the isse, its simply the configuration and lack of knowledge on fixing it.

www.abyssunderground.co.uk will help you. I run this site so I know everything works.

I shouldnt need to configure it properly, apache works out of the box in most cases and u dont have to pay to get Virtual Hosts

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:44 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
kichimi wrote:
Andy wrote:
kichimi wrote:

I shouldnt need to configure it properly, apache works out of the box in most cases and u dont have to pay to get Virtual Hosts

Actually Apache doesn't work out the box. What about installing PHP support? You don't get that as standard do you?

Also the virtual hosts in Apache are so difficult to configure most people give up unless they get a control panel to do it for them.

Im not getting into an argument over which is better again. You use what you want to use, Ill use what I want to use, and let other people use whatever they want to use. Anymore fanboyism and Ill lock the topic.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:19 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
kichimi wrote:

Funny, that's the usual response every time someone complains about Apache, Linux or just about anything not Microsoft-based (to which the answer is usually M$ sucks, It's Windows' fault or PEBKEC).

Andy wrote:
Actually Apache doesn't work out the box. What about installing PHP support? You don't get that as standard do you?

And what if the user wants a lightweight installation? Why would you force PHP on him/her? That's the whole point of using package managers (yeah, Apache wasn't meant for Windows) - you select the packages you want. On Gentoo, for example, Apache worked with PHP right away, because I installed it with
Code:
USE="apache2" emerge apache php

As for the original question, what Linux distro are you using? Did you install everything using the package manager?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:35 am 
Donator

Andy: Simply because you don't know any better. Do you know WHY it is important to differentiate a NULL and an empty string? Do you even know what NULL is to represent? A decent sized database would cruble in MySQL for the simple fact that referential integrity is shoddy at best, and you have a finite amount of tables you can even join through.

Sure, if you are writing a "website" and all you need is a users table and a content table, then you will never run into said issues. But also, you'd get by just fine with a flat text file.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:45 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
@ppc_digger

Most people these days will want PHP installed, but remember that even Abyss doesn't come with PHP installed, its simply easier to integrate. Using a shell command to do it is kinda cheating ;)

@RentedMule

I don't care what the best database is or how they work, Im simply saying that MySQL is a better choice as its more widely known and is used in more scripts than other database's. Do you not realise that a database is a flat file anyway? Saying using a database or flat file means nothing these days because they are infact the same thing. A database just has a "server" inbetween the script interpreer and the data.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:53 am 
Donator

Andy: absolutely wrong. But the point is moot. I CAN argue the merits of using a real DB, but I won't. It is simply going to fall on deaf ears.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:01 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
RentedMule wrote:
Andy: absolutely wrong. But the point is moot. I CAN argue the merits of using a real DB, but I won't. It is simply going to fall on deaf ears.

Please explain which bit you think is wrong.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:39 am 
Donator

RentedMule wrote:
...A decent sized database would cruble in MySQL...

Wikipedia is powered by MySQL. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia# ... d_hardware)

The www.gaiaonline.com forums (which may I add, are pointless) are most likely powered by MySQL, as they use PHPbb (I may be wrong, however).

That Said, Why don't we start trying to help the poster, instead of arguing about what server and database software to use!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:44 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
My point proven, thank you Jeff. Also, MySQL is free unlike some of the other databases like MsSQL.

Also, Ive given the link to my website that will help the author of the topic get up and running in no time.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:08 am 
FTP Access

Jeff wrote:
That Said, Why don't we start trying to help the poster, instead of arguing about what server and database software to use!

yes, please? :)
Andy wrote:
kichimi wrote:

I personally prefer abyss from what Ive seen and expeerienced.

I tried going to your site a number of times, It helped when I installed php, but now...
RentedMule wrote:
How is firebird incompatible with VMWare? Aside from it being a USERSPACE application, Ive been running a firebird server in VMWare since like 2000.

I don't know, it just is, I tried installing it and I was required to remove vmware server, so I installed virtualbox instead.

Also databases like oracle and MsSQL have express editions, which are free.

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:10 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
The tutorials on my site do work because ive had hundreds of other people use them.

What issues are you having? I can help you out with it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:29 am 
Donator

Quote:

We ARE helping the poster. Just because some random site runs on MySQL doesn't give credit enough that MySQL is actually a usable database. Especially since there are two flavors... Commercial and Free Open Source. They are by no means the same produckt. Just like firefox is not Netscape.

Lets take a few minutes to see what plain out sucks about MySQL (thanks to google):

Quote:
It seems I was a bit too charitable about MySQL back when I said "I'm firmly convinced PostgreSQL is the better database".

What I should of actually said is "MySQL is a worthless piece of s**t that doesn't deserve to be dignified by the moniker 'database' and should be eradicated from this earth".

An example:
mysql> drop database foobar;

ERROR 1217: Cannot delete or update a parent row: a foreign key constraint fails

mysql> drop database foobar;

Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

The explanation is in the user comments for the DROP DATABASE documentation:

DROP DATABASE seemingly drops each table, first, in arbitrary order. Since the ordering is arbitrary, it may drop them in the 'wrong' order. In this case, you'll get the message ... and half of your tables will be gone, the other half remaining. You can repeatedly execute "DROP DATABASE" commands and each time (at least for me), MySQL gets closer to an empty database, at which point, the database itself is dropped.

Quote:
Here's some lovely gems from the MySQL reference manual:

From 15.5 InnoDB Startup Options:

InnoDB uses checksum validation on all pages read from the disk to ensure extra fault tolerance against broken hardware or data files. However, under some rare circumstances (such as when running benchmarks) this ``extra safety'' feature is unneeded. In such cases, this option (which is enabled by default) can be turned off with --skip-innodb-checksums. This option was added in MySQL 5.0.3.

Disabling a feature you should be using in a production environment to look better on benchmarks is cheating.

From 5.9.4 The Binary Log:

The primary purpose of the binary log is to be able to update the database during a restore operation as fully as possible, because the binary log contains all updates done after a backup was made.

... so without the binary log enabled, you can't guarantee the integrity of your database, great! (Note the bin log is required for replication, but seems to be disabled by default.)

But then you keep reading:

By default, the binary log is not synchronized to disk at each write. So if the operating system or machine (not only the MySQL server) crashes there is a chance that the last statements of the binary log are lost. To prevent this, you can make the binary log be synchronized to disk after every Nth binary log write, with the sync_binlog global variable (1 being the safest value, but also the slowest).

... so unless you have binary logging enabled and you sync on every write, your data's integrity is not guaranteed. No, that's wrong too:

Even with [sync_binlog] set to 1, there is still the chance of an inconsistency between the tables content and the binary log content in case of crash. [...] This problem can be solved with the --innodb-safe-binlog option (available starting from MySQL 4.1.3), which adds consistency between the content of InnoDB tables and the binary log. For this option to really bring safety to you, the MySQL server should also be configured to synchronize to disk, at every transaction, the binary log (sync_binlog=1) and (which is true by default) the InnoDB logs.

Quote:
The Sample Records

mysql> SELECT id, title, body FROM articles;
+----+-----------------------+------------------------------------------+
| id | title | body |
| 1 | MySQL Tutorial | DBMS stands for DataBase ... |
| 2 | How To Use MySQL Well | After you went through A dataXbase ... |
| 3 | Optimizing MySQL | In this tutorial we will show ... |
| 4 | 1001 MySQL Tricks | 1. Never run mysqld as root. 2. ... |
| 5 | MySQL vs. YourSQL | In the following database comparison ... |
| 6 | MySQL Security | When configured properly, MySQL ... |
6 rows in set (0.00 sec)

First, it works

mysql> SELECT * FROM articles WHERE MATCH (title,body) AGAINST ('database');
+----+-------------------+------------------------------------------+
| id | title | body |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Then, I just modified id #6 to get an additional result!

mysql> SELECT id, title, body FROM articles;
+----+-----------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| id | title | body |
| 2 | How To Use MySQL Well | After you went through A dataXbase ... |
| 3 | Optimizing MySQL | In this tutorial we will show ... |
| 4 | 1001 MySQL Tricks | 1. Never run mysqld as root. 2. ... |
| 6 | MySQL Security | When configured properly, MySQL database ... |
6 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> SELECT * FROM articles WHERE MATCH (title,body) AGAINST ('database');
Empty set (0.00 sec)

Conclusion
With MySQL's fulltext feature, you must not update existing rows with already indexed words. Obviously this is an ugly bug!

These are on the first handful of links searching for "Why mySQL sucks". All still very true. Do you REALLY want something like this managing VALUABLE data?

Admin edit: This is the second time Ive asked you not to swear in posts in this topic. Next time it will result in a temporary ban.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:35 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Just because some random sites say MySQL sucks it doesn't mean it does. I think you'll find that most of the sites you visit with dynamic pages will use MySQL so there is no escape from the fact that it is a database which works.

And yes, I would trust it with my data because I keep regular backups. Not for the reason of MySQL sucks but for the reason that accidents happen, like when I accidently deleted a user from this website. The backup restored the user with just 3 minutes data loss.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:39 am 
FTP Access

I'll try looking at your site again, but for now:

I found a help file in ubuntu on how to install mysql:
Code:
MySQL

MySQL is a fast, multi-threaded, multi-user, and robust SQL
          database server. It is intended for mission-critical,
        heavy-load production systems as well as for embedding into
        mass-deployed software.

1.1. Installation

To install MySQL, run the following command from a terminal prompt:

sudo apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client

Once the installation is complete, the MySQL server should be
            started automatically. You can run the following command from a terminal prompt to
            check whether the MySQL server is running:

sudo netstat -tap | grep mysql

When you run this command, you should see the following line
            or something similar:

tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomain:mysql           *:* LISTEN -

If the server is not running correctly, you can type the following command to start it:

sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart

1.2. Configuration

By default, the administrator password is not set. Once you
            install MySQL, the first thing you must do is to configure
            the MySQL administrator password. To do this, run the following commands:

sudo mysqladmin -u root password newrootsqlpassword

sudo mysqladmin -p -u root -h localhost password newrootsqlpassword

You can edit the /etc/mysql/my.cnf file to configure the basic
            settings -- log file, port number, etc. Refer to
            /etc/mysql/my.cnf file for more details.

I follow these steps, but when I get to this command:
Code:
sudo mysqladmin -p -u root -h localhost password newrootsqlpassword

I recieve this error:
Code:
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'

and the command before it wasn't much help either, it gave me no response

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:48 am 
Donator

Firstly, I didn't swear. Is "Sucks" swearing? Are you a nun? Seems to me like you want to be an authoritative source, but you simply can't back it up when someone is putting you on the spot. You want to ban me? Feel free. It will just show the world what a coward you are.

I gave you 3 examples from the top 10 google results. Are you refuting these? Have you even TRIED them?

I'm not arguing this anymore. If someone wants good avice on the ins-and-outs of RDBMS, feel free to PM me (or email me if I get purged). Just about every database brings to the table something unique or useful. MySQL isn't one of them. Lord knows throughout my professional career I've had to use a whole lot of them... and with that a whole lot of experience. Sometimes you have to use what the client has deployed, whether you like it or not.

Give me something to retort to, and Ill happily do so. Until then, chow.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:13 am 
FTP Access

I figured out my problem! rather, I didnt use Mysql or Oracle, I used sqlite. I reread the instructions and realized I had to setup some other configuration fiirst, so, yay!

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:13 pm 
Donator

congrats.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next