Strange Vista problem

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Strange Vista problem

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

In the User folder that can be placed on Vista's desktop, there are a series of "virtual folders" that are like shortcuts except don't have the arrow overlay - much like the My Documents folder on XP's desktop, where there is a page in their Properties to set the real location that the point to. There are Documents, Music, Pictures, Searches, Contacts etc. Anyway, it seems that now when I double-click the one for "Documents", the spinning cursor comes on and nothing happens, except that Explorer.exe is now taking 50% of the CPU although it is still functioning eg if you open another window, and leaving it a while and then trying to close that windows brings up the "Windows Explorer is not responding" dialog. I tried altering the location that the Documents virtual folder points to in case that would clear this problem, but it still does it. Navigating to the Documents folder via My Computer ie going to its actual location on the disk rather than through the virtual folder still works, as does getting to it via a shortcut to Documents that I have placed in the Classic Start Menu. The other virtual folders in the user folder are also still working. Holding the cursor over the virtual folder that's causing the problems also brings up the correct data about the Documents folder eg its size. Anyone got any idea how to get the link in the desktop user folder to work again? I can't find any way to create these virtual folders, as making a replacement would probably work. Trying to copy one of them seems to copy the actual contents of the folder, not just the link.

jontyrocks3
FTP Access

Post by jontyrocks3 »

What Vista version are you using (Ultimate Premium Basic etc)

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

He's using Business.

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Yep - still haven't sorted this out Recently got onto MS support about it, and they suggested I try safe mode, and strangely enough it works fine in safe mode. I told them that and am waiting for any more advice from them now.

jontyrocks3
FTP Access

Post by jontyrocks3 »

Just use the shortcut to the folder then and place the shortcut on your desktop. I think that will be easier than mess around.

Jonty.

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

These kind of folders are actually Shell Extensions. But they work very much like shortcuts, except that you can address them as actual folders.

Just like a shortcut, if the destination that these are pointing to aren't there, it will search everything it can to find it. This is likely why you see nothing and the cpu spikes.

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

The location is there though - I've got that one set to point to G:\Documents, and setting it back to the default of C:\Users\Username\Documents and making that folder also has the same result.