BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 5h, 37m | CPU: 55% | MEM: 5808MB of 10778MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: iphone        Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:15 am 
FTP Access

I cant wait for the iphone I never ususally care to rush into getting something like this but it looks damn cool!!!!!!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:25 am 
Donator

Moved to Offtopic.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:27 pm 
FTP Access

IMHO it's a horrible purchase
499-599!
you can get a decent laptop from dell with ubuntu and then get a "real" cellphone with a plan half the price!

though I am on the waiting list... but only to sell it as soon as I can

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Not that I'm biased or anything...        Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:22 pm 
Donator

The iPhone is:
a) Overpriced, for a phone
b) Impractical, because you can't always use a touchscreen. What if you're in the middle of eating a pizza, you'll get stuff all over your screen!
c) You're forced to join up with one phone company for it ... which means that when it is ever released here in Australia, it'll most likely be with Telstra, and they have terrible phone plans that rip you off.
d) irreplacable battery?
e) Closed platform, ie. can't develop apps for it.
f) iTunes, nuff said. Bad enough for music, unimaginably terrible for syncing contacts and stuff.

That said, a lot of people are going to buy one, just because it has the Apple logo on it. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:10 pm 
Donator

@pr0gram the pr0grammer
I agree with you on the touchscreen. I have a touchscreen phone as well and I am literally forced to use the headset very often because I am doing something that involves my hands getting dirty. Don't misunderstand that though, I love the touchscreen – when my hands are clean! :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:18 pm 
FTP Access

Though you surely wouldn't use a normal phone if you had pizza or something on your hands anyway? (or at least I wouldn't, I'm always a bit paranoid about breaking it even just by getting a bit of rain on it or something!)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:30 pm 
Donator

Yep, sure – but imagine you are just eating a pizza, have no headset and the thing starts ringing? Sure you'd clean your hands before using it, but anyway

As for the iPhone being overpriced, it is surely not cheap, but it's also more than just a phone. It has a huge amount of memory for that type of device and it's also meant to be used as a true music/video player and maybe even as a smartphone. And think about it, for a smartphone, it's not tremendously expensive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Not that I'm biased or anything...        Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
The iPhone is:
a) Overpriced, for a phone
b) Impractical, because you can't always use a touchscreen. What if you're in the middle of eating a pizza, you'll get stuff all over your screen!
c) You're forced to join up with one phone company for it ... which means that when it is ever released here in Australia, it'll most likely be with Telstra, and they have terrible phone plans that rip you off.
d) irreplacable battery?
e) Closed platform, ie. can't develop apps for it.
f) iTunes, nuff said. Bad enough for music, unimaginably terrible for syncing contacts and stuff.

That said, a lot of people are going to buy one, just because it has the Apple logo on it. :P

Very often, my hands are covered with gasoline, or some sort of solvent or corrisive. This would be a very impractical phone for me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:52 pm 
Donator

it would suck not being able to change the battery, all the phones i have had the batteries all lose there charge soon enough.

i have thought about getting an expensive phone, but in the end all i really do is txt on it and not often enough to get an expensive phone.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:15 am 
With all of the comments on hands getting dirty, I see that as an obvious problem, but think of all the cool stuff when your hands are clean, and Steve said that this was Apple entering into a Fourth Market (Computers, Music, Phone and Hobby), I think what the iPhone is in actuality is Apple getting a chance to submerge the public in "Multi-Touch" which Microsoft almost beat them to with Surface. But personally I'm glad the public gets a good experience with Apple first (I know saying that is really going to [censored] off some people and label me as a Fanboy but what the hell, it's out there).

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:39 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
i just hope the iphone isnt like the old nanos which were scratched extremely easily. I had my 5th gen. ipod for a week and it looked like i used sandpaper on the front of it, and that was with a case... the touch screen is nice, but not if you cant see it after a week

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:40 am 
FTP Access

solution?

get the OpenMoko phone.
based on the linux kernel, IMHO way better eyecandy the the iphone, smaller, lighter (redundant), faster, saver AND cheaper... and unlocked... put in a SIM chip and run away...
and opensource too with opensource programs

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:59 am 
FTP Access

I plan on getting the T-Mobile Sidekick, regardless of the fact I am a Steve Jobs fanboy.

It seems that the iPhone has great potential and should bring other cell phone makers to making their phones just as good. It has a lot of good iDeas if you will. However, I have a feeling it will be a market flop, or they will have to lower the cost or provide a life-time supply of screen-cleaning wipes. :)

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]