RAID speed in Vista

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
hougtimo
FTP Access

RAID speed in Vista

Post by hougtimo »

Well I got me hands on another sata Harddisk so decided to put it in with me other one in raid.

I have : 1 80gb Western Digital Caviar, 1 160gb maxtor sata drive.

I set them up in a striped raid, and it worked!

I installed vista n stuff, which seems snappier than before, and file copying seems quicker (getting about 28 mb/s).

My score with just the wd drive was 5.6, but now my hard drive score in vista is only 5.4 - why is this?

Thanks

Tim

tilos

Re: RAID speed in Vista

Post by tilos »

hougtimo wrote:Well I got me hands on another sata Harddisk so decided to put it in with me other one in raid.

I have : 1 80gb Western Digital Caviar, 1 160gb maxtor sata drive.

I set them up in a striped raid, and it worked!

I installed vista n stuff, which seems snappier than before, and file copying seems quicker (getting about 28 mb/s).

My score with just the wd drive was 5.6, but now my hard drive score in vista is only 5.4 - why is this?

Thanks

Tim
Its normal I think because U use integrated raid controller,and these much slover then the branded PCI card controllers with own PU and cache. Otherwise U just got a little as 0.2 different this is may come from because of the driver. Finally the stripped raid should faster then a single drive,but its depending where U use it...

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Topic older than 1 month. Locked.

BTW, I tend to disagree with what you're saying because on-board RAID controllers in the southbridge are much faster than RAID controllers hanging off of the conventional PCI bus.