BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 52d, 16h, 34m | CPU: 85% | MEM: 5692MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Traffic shaping/management        Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:52 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Yeah it sucks doesnt it. Ive just been lowered to 2mbps/192Kbps instead of my usual 4Mbps/400Kbps because I downloaded over 750mb between 4pm-12am (peak hours).

You think thats bad though? What about the other tiers on VirginMedia?

2Mbps customers are shaped to 1Mbps/64Kbps after 300mb in on peak hours.
4Mbps customers are shaped to 2Mbps/192Kbps after 750mb in on peak hours.
10Mbps customers are shaped to 5Mbps/256Kbps after 3gb in on peak hours.
20Mbps customers are shaped to 5Mbps/256Kbps after 3gb in on peak hours.

Anybody else get shaped like that (that they know of?) because 99% of ADSL providors do it, whether they tell you or not. Im lucky my providor does and gives us a set speed, even if the service IS supposed to be unlimited. Which is it when you think about it. No download limits but we just get a slower speed...

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:53 am 
Donator

If I use 20gb in my month I go back to 64Kbit. Sucks a bit, but I never use 20gb. :) We don't have peak hours or anything, but some ISPs here do.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:03 am 
Donator

AFAIK, I don't have such limits. But I think the most I've ever downloaded in a month was ~20GB, it's much less than that usually.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:14 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
My ISP claims to have no limits but they're clearly limiting you if they are shaping/managing your connection away from the paid-for maximum speed. Instead of 2TB/month I can now only download 1TB/month which is therefore limiting me (not that I would ever download that much of course).

There have been the exact same arguments on cableforum but I thought Id post here so I could understand what is happening with other ISP's.

You should also be aware that 99% of ISP's do shape and that 95% of them do not tell their customers about it. VirginMedia is a faithful company and does tell their customers. Other companies briefly mention it in the TOS or AUP but never go into detail. VM have and thats good but it still doesn't let them off the hook for doing it.

They're a cable company with a much better network than the copper ADSL infrastructure most people on this forum use. Why can't they cope with such high demands that the customers are putting on them? The simple answer is that they can. They just cut back on costs like this because the bandwidth is simply too expensive for them, or so they claim. They make millions in profits and still won't give the customers what they pay for. Its fraud if you ask me. Unfortunately me switching to ADSL will only make the problems worse, simply because Im too far from the exchange to get over 2Mbps and also because ADSL is affected more through congestion and shaping than cable is. Im much better off here than on ADSL, even if cable is shaped just as much.

</rant>

:)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Urg        Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:13 am 
Donator

My ISP shapes traffic. Firstly, bittorrent is throttled... even on alternate ports. UDP is dropped almost always (few exceptions).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Urg        Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:16 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
RentedMule wrote:
My ISP shapes traffic. Firstly, bittorrent is throttled... even on alternate ports. UDP is dropped almost always (few exceptions).

My ISP also filters torrents to half the max speed you pay for, so for me, 2Mbps. Sometimes it slips through higher but not for long.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:50 am 
FTP Access

My ISP, is terrible. I'm supposed to have 5mbps download speeds. That sounds really nice and I'm not paying too much for it. However since Feburary they started throttle bittorent like crazy (they throttled it before, but it was acceptable speeds 200kb/sec), my speed is so slow I don't know why I even bother download off bittorent. In fact my speed right now is 3kb/sec (and yes, I know how to foward ports and stuff).

They were so terrible in terms of service and performance I did an essay about them for English and got 85% :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:52 am 
FTP Access

Do torrents get filtered under such systems even if you enable protocol encryption?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:58 am 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Do torrents get filtered under such systems even if you enable protocol encryption?

Actually it is even worse if I encrpyt the traffic. Apparently everybody using my ISP who has an IP beginning with a 99 (which I do) encrypted traffic will be cut, and my speeds will drop all the way to 0.3kb/sec. So it is either 0.3kb/sec or 3kb/sec or I can try some VPNs but my XP installation has all those components removed so I can't get it working...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Tele2 Norway doesn't seem to do shaping AFAIK, bittorrent is hard to judge since what speeds each peer can give you varies. I can get the full downspeed (up to 450 kbps) on TV shows and similar hugely-fast torrents.

We're slowly getting cable with the new digital TV coming next year (I think some people can get it now), but I think Telenor is the only ISP in on that ATM, and Telenor is (IMO) the worst ISP in Norway.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:22 am 
FTP Access

I'm quietly going to admit installing a traffic shaper a few years ago for an ISP. Mind you, that was in the days where DSL lines were brand spanking new and every K of bandwidth was damned expensive!

Having said that, the rules that were defined on the majority of traffic shaping at the time was very simple. It looks to find select ports and limits them alone. The answer? Simple. Change the ports your P2P clients use! I also use NTL (now Virgin) and quite happily enjoy speeds (that seem to be) unaffected during peak hours and my heavy usage. That said, some ISP's are getting clever and limit anything above port 1023.

I can understand Virgin restricting bandwidth as this is a hard time for them. Virgin took over NTL and have kicked the max speeds up to 20MB (whilst trialing 50MB lines!) and revamping all the TV services. They need to save a bit of cash!!

Now for the other ISPs. Most (if not all) ADSL lines are contended (lets say 10:1). If just one person out of those ten is hammering their line by downloading tonnes of crap movies or such like then the other 9 are going to suffer. If I was one of the 9 then I'd be a bit miffed to find that legitimate web access was slow!

Yea ok, traffic shaping is a bit crap and it does look like it's all in favour of the ISP to skimp a few quid - but it's also good in some respects for you too remember!

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]