BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 4h, 11m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 2655MB of 4567MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Re: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4093
This looks very interesting :) Sorry if you answered this already, but do you have an estimated release date?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:52 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- ratsrock2323: No, there's no estimated release date yet, as it depends on various factors, such as long it will take me to finish everything for the first milestone, how much free time I'll have in the future to actually work on this project, etc.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:15 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
I'm currently deciding what to do regarding EXPAND. Since I'm going to use KWAJ type 4 (MS-ZIP/DEFLATE with KWAJ header) algorithm, MS-DOS 6.x's EXPAND.EXE is going to be completely useless. I could use Office 4.3's DECOMP.EXE, but can only decompress KWAJ files, and not also SZDD. I could bring my own UNCOMP up to par with EXPAND's functionality (with split files etc.) but that would some work. So I'm still deciding on what to do regarding that.

PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whatever works
By the way, I noticed that you added "Baltic Sea" language support (if I got that right). Does it mean it has Latvian character support? Would be quite interesting. Also, if the support for Latvian keyboards will be/is implemented, I wouldn't recommend to use the keyboard layout known simply as Latvian (they look like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Latvian_Erganomic_Keyboard_Layout.png). Nobody uses those here. And the same goes for the keyboards that use ALT for Latvian-specific characters. Everybody is using the Apostrophe driver (apostrophe key+the letter that has the LV version. Example: [']+[e] results in ē)instead of the MS default one known as Latvian (QWERTY) I guess NT Windows keyboard drivers won't work in DOS, however, there certainly were some Apostrophe ones for 9x, and I might have even seen ones for DOS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:59 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- ATOS Productions: In DOS, there is the US-International Keyboard which DOS erroneously calls Brazilian, and can be activated by typing keyb br on the MS-DOS prompt. It however does not support Latvian characters. I am still trying to figure the format used by the KEYBOARD.SYS/KEYBRD*.SYS files and once I do figure it, I am going to add some. For one, the proposed Slovenian SVNB82 keyboard layout is going in, and if you give me documentation for the Latvian layout you're talking about, I'm going to add that one too.

PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whatever works
Battler wrote:
- ATOS Productions: In DOS, there is the US-International Keyboard which DOS erroneously calls Brazilian, and can be activated by typing keyb br on the MS-DOS prompt. It however does not support Latvian characters. I am still trying to figure the format used by the KEYBOARD.SYS/KEYBRD*.SYS files and once I do figure it, I am going to add some. For one, the proposed Slovenian SVNB82 keyboard layout is going in, and if you give me documentation for the Latvian layout you're talking about, I'm going to add that one too.

I'll see what I can do as a complete idiot in these things :D

EDIT: May I provide actual drivers instead of documentation? I warned I'm idiot in this field :D . Here's the download link http://www.boot.lv/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=4433 , but if you explain what's needed to me as to a 3-year old autistic child, I might be able to give you whatever is needed, if that's better than actual drivers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:20 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- ATOS Productiosn: I see the driver is for DOS, which is excellent. I just need to run it and press all possible key combinations to see what is mapped to what. The other good thing about it is, I can disassemble it and from that, learn how to make a keyboard driver for DOS, which is another plus. Plus I see the archive also contains a Baltic VGA font driver, which is also good because I can see if there's any difference between it and Microsoft MS-DOS code page 775 and if there is, add it as a separate code page (and the more code pages I support, the better!). So yeah thank you very much for this, it's going to be very useful.

This means there's a new item on the to do list now: add proper Latvian support based on the information I can gather from the drivers included in that archive.

PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:39 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
OK, I tested the drivers in DOSBox last night. The keyboard layout is pretty simple: standard Russian keyboard layout (Left Shift+Right Shift to switch between Latin (this mode is basically the US keyboard layout) and Cyrillic modes) with the ' key (apostrophe) in Latin mode being a dead key that when combined with some of the letters, makes Latvian letters. The character set provided by the font is also pretty much standard Russian code page 866 with some of the box drawing characters replaced with Latvian letters.
I need to assign a code page number to this new character set, as well as to a version of the character set with added Euro symbol (€) - as a policy, I generally include two code pages for each SBCS (= with 8-bit characters only) character set, one without the Euro symbol, and one with it. DBCS (= East-Asian character sets with both 8-bit and 16-bit characters) are exempt from the policy.

PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whatever works
Battler wrote:
OK, I tested the drivers in DOSBox last night. The keyboard layout is pretty simple: standard Russian keyboard layout (Left Shift+Right Shift to switch between Latin (this mode is basically the US keyboard layout) and Cyrillic modes) with the ' key (apostrophe) in Latin mode being a dead key that when combined with some of the letters, makes Latvian letters. The character set provided by the font is also pretty much standard Russian code page 866 with some of the box drawing characters replaced with Latvian letters.
I need to assign a code page number to this new character set, as well as to a version of the character set with added Euro symbol (€) - as a policy, I generally include two code pages for each SBCS (= with 8-bit characters only) character set, one without the Euro symbol, and one with it. DBCS (= East-Asian character sets with both 8-bit and 16-bit characters) are exempt from the policy.

By the way, have you taken a look at the DOSprn utility? (that name...dammit, I have a dirty fantasy). Maybe you can find something useful in there.
BTW, if I can believe that topic on BOOT.lv (a Latvian forum, haven't signed up there yet) there is something wrong with the 775.cp code table or whatever. Seems that one member, Firza, recoded it, however, some members said there still are problems with it. Here are the links, in case you find something worth your time :
http://www.dosprn.com/
http://www.boot.lv/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=25882

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:19 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- ATOS Production: Could you please give me a link to the discussion thread about code page 775? I'd love to read it (I don't understand Latvian but Google Translator could help).

Also, I'm going to look at the DOSprn utility, from the description it sounds nice, but I suspect it only supports standard code pages.

Edit: So that thread on that Latvian forum was about printing from DOS with DOSprn, and apparently DOSprn's definition file for code page 775 was wrong. Firza seemed to have fixed it but evidently also got something wrong, then another user was also able to fix it (but didn't release the fix).

PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whatever works
Battler wrote:
- ATOS Production: Could you please give me a link to the discussion thread about code page 775? I'd love to read it (I don't understand Latvian but Google Translator could help).

Also, I'm going to look at the DOSprn utility, from the description it sounds nice, but I suspect it only supports standard code pages.

Edit: So that thread on that Latvian forum was about printing from DOS with DOSprn, and apparently DOSprn's definition file for code page 775 was wrong. Firza seemed to have fixed it but evidently also got something wrong, then another user was also able to fix it (but didn't release the fix).

You found it? That's about what it was, and kudos for you if you got it out of the Google translate - it's Latvian support is just MISERABLE.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:39 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- ATOS Productions: Yes, I got it out of the Google translation. The translation was bad but still understandable. Also reading that thread made me realize another thing - if you can make custom code page definitions for DOSprn, then I could surely make the ones for all the code pages MS-DOS 6.40 will support that aren't supported by DOSprn, and release them.

PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:09 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I don't pick favorites.
How's this coming along? I haven't been on these forums in forever. It's very nostalgic to go back and read my old posts from when I was 11... When I saw this, it reminded me of my old "X-DOS" idea, I'm sure you can find the thread somewhere, there's a point where I say that I'm "going to learn C++ in a day". Oh, me. I still haven't learned C++ to this day, and honestly the fact that some of those old threads little 11-year old Gamma created still exist, is rather embarrassing, yet funny to say the least. This is a very interesting project though, I always smile a little when I see people reviving old code. Hope all is well with this.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:27 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
It's coming along fine. The Setup rewrite is currently at the DOSSETUP.INI reading part, the MSDOSX API is being improved, and the fonts for the remaining DBCS code pages are being made.

Also yeah, I often find myself viewing at my code from say, 8-10 years ago and get headache even trying to understand what it does.

PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
With expand/compress. Version 1 of expand will produce the necessary KWAJ files for DOS setup. It's hard to find, but the correct version is in the DOS 6 source tape.

Expand from Windows 3.11 will unpack both KWAJ and SZDD files. I use it in my DOS 6.30 disk.

You can pack the full name including the last letter into the DOS file, and DOS setup will recognise this. I did this with PC-DOS 5.02 and 6.30 (6.31 = 6.30 with fixes slipstreamed).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:50 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- os2fan2: The COMPRESS.EXE one in the DOS 6 source is version 1.2. I was able to find version 1.3 on Google years ago. Version 1.4 should exist with added compression type 4 (MS-ZIP) that DECOMP.EXE 1.4 (included with Office 4.3) can decompress.

Also I made my own COMPRESS.EXE too, cobbled up with my own code, MS-DOS 6.0 leaked code, etc., as well a corresponding UNCOMP.EXE. And mine can actually produce KWAJ type 4 files (ie. with MS-ZIP compression) which then DECOMP 1.4 can decompress fine. I even tentatively made mine supports KWAJ types 3 and 4 with the SZDD header (types C and D), as well as Quantum and LZX with both headers (with a clever way to store the LZX compression parameters in the SZDD header to get around limitations). For type 4 I just used the MS-ZIP code found in the DIAMOND source code that is included with the leaked NT 4 source.
Of course I had to do modifications of my own to all pieces of code used in order to get it all compile with OpenWatcom (and in order to be able to compile the KWAJ type 3 compression and uncompression code for Win32 and DOS32 (DOS/4GW and P-Mode/W both) too), but I managed to do it.

So my two tools support the following:
- No compression (KWAJ type 0, SZDD type @*);
- XOR (KWAJ type 1, SZDD type G*);
- LZSS variant 1 (as used Windows 3.1 RTM and DOS 5.00) (KWAJ type 7*, SZDD type A, the possible only type for the SZ header);
- LZSS variant 2 (as used in Windows 3.1 Beta's with SZDD header and as officially supported by COMPRESS.EXE 1.x for KWAJ header too) (KWAJ type 2, SZDD type B);
- LZSS+Huffman (used in MS-DOS 6.x and WfW 3.11) (KWAJ type 3, SZDD type C*);
- MS-ZIP (used in Office 4.3 with KWAJ header, and eventually with slight modifications in CAB files too) (KWAJ type 4, SZDD type D*);
- Quantum (officially only used in CAB files) (KWAJ type 5*, SZDD type E**);
- LZX (officially only used in CAB files) (KWAJ type 6*, SZDD type F**);
- LZARI by Haruhiko Okumura (never used by Microsoft) (KWAJ type 8*, SZDD type H*);
- LZHUF by Haruhiko Okumura and Haruyasu Yoshizaki (author of LHA) (never used by Microsoft but the main algorithm behind the LHA format) (KWAJ type 9*, SZDD type I*).

* Officially never existed with this header, but I added it nevertheless;
** Officially never existed with this header, but I added it nevertheless, with workaround for getting around header limitations while still writing in the compression parameters.

However, I'm still searching for the original COMPRESS 1.4. I did find two servers with a COMPRESS.EXE dated 1994 and a file size that could be right for 1.4 based on my estimate, but both happened to be down already so I wasn't able to download and verify the files.

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention that the compression code Microsoft used for both SZDD types A and B and KWAJ type 2 is Haruhiko Okumura's public domain LZSS code (easily findable on Google), albeit credited to MS employee Steven Zeck. I compared it line for line, and it's the exact same, even the comments have been left as is, they just changed the variable names, and at least for the KWAJ version, the output to use their DOS.H-based code instead of directly writing to file.

PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I don't pick favorites.
Glad to see you're still working on this. Keep it up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
There's a compress of date 1994 in the NT4 source code tools thing. That might be what you're looking for. It might be worth taking a peek at.

I had a look at this of late. It's basically vers 1.0 recompiled for nt, as far as i can tell.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:28 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
If you're using pcdos 7.1 as the basis of your dos, you could use the boot from hard-drive feature that this DOS supports.

My conversations with a chap in Elset-on-Rhine, (it's the german-speaking part of france), suggests some other variant than build 1.31 is the best to use in a multiboot OS. Will look it up tonight (it's 14:27 here now) when i get on the big iron.

If you create a file in the boot directory _BOOT_HD.NOZ (of size 0), it functions in the same way as the MS-DOS 7 jo.sys.

Here goes. I'm not sure how Paul Houle's DOSKEY works here.

Here is comment from Dr T Kühn, in an email to me. It might be of help if you're using pcdos's boot block.

Quote:
With your PC DOS 7.1 distribution, you have initiated a real passion. In OS/2
DOS boxes, however, I found your citation in the msdos711.rar's Readme -
"This version of DOS is judged to have the greatest compatibility between old
and new technology." completely justified: MS-DOS 7.10 doesn't bother with
DOSKEY idle issues (PC-DOS 7.1 blocks the entire computer when running in
Virtual Machine Sessions with DOSKEY loaded), and even mounts HD-images
with Jason Hood's SHSUFDRV ( http://adoxa.3eeweb.com/shsufdrv/fdrv-3.zip ).
With DOSLFN loaded, MS-DOS 7.10 even handles long filenames in DOS-VMBs.

On the other hand, PC-DOS can not only mount FAT32 partitions, but perfectly
boots from these as well (to my knowledge, MS-DOS 7.10 & 8.0 won't). I am
fascinated about MS-DOS COMMAND.COM's capability to handle long filenames.
PC-DOS 7.10 build 1.19 (more VMB-aware than later builds) cannot boot with
MS-DOS' COMMAND.COM, but does with ftp://ftp.jpsoft.com/4dos/4dos750.exe
4DOS.COM which provides LFNs and resolves the DOSKEY-issue. But, alas,
4DOS cannot overcome another PC-DOS 7.10 restriction: it does not enable it's
build-in LOCK command (unavailable in PC-DOS' COMMAND.COM).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Project: MS-DOS 6.40        Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
With your compress/expand. Expandd = expand 2.1, renamed so i hit the right one every time!

The way i build DOS from the source disks without using setup is to copy all of the files using expand (eg expandd a:\*.* c:\m622\). Then i use a batch file to rename the files (ren *.ex_ *.exe) etc.

Will your expand support the "copy if not compressed" feature.

Thanks.

Top  Profile  WWW