BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 8h, 36m | CPU: 20% | MEM: 2439MB of 5277MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Private eDonkey network for distribution        Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:49 am 
FTP Access

Has anybody considered switching from the http/ftp-based distribution approach to a private eDonkey network?

Disadvantages

* None of the prestige associated with "my server, my collection": could deal with this by putting your name in the files you are sharing, and by having a sticky post that honours people?

* No access control to the server; would have to hide the server IP/port, but a port scan could reveal that

* Clients would have to keep a separate client setup for this private network and another for the other networks they use so as not to allow files to leech across (of course, it will only cost them their own bandwidth if they do so)

* Somebody will have to host the server; I have no idea what the requirements are

Advantages

* Relieve bandwidth usage on servers in a fair manner by encouraging all clients to help upload files they download

* No more server hopping to find that elusive file; eMule's search is very powerful

* No need to maintain the servers list anymore

* Allows people on dial-up, who couldn't ordinarily host a server, to help do their part

So far looking fairly even aside from the access control issue (which may or may not be a problem). So what's the obvious thing I'm missing here? :D Any comments?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:02 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
We've already tried new approaches to distributing the files and the FTP seems the easiest way. We're no where near the bandwidth limit, using about 40% of the limit a month so its not an issue. Only space is an issue.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:25 am 
There are better ways. From my experience eDonkey has always been slow. Honestly, I'd rather try to send someone Netpune 5111 in an e-mail.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:22 am 
I would consider using WASTE for this purpose.

- it's secure (imo also important in a private network)
- it's fast
- it's easy to use.

If you need some more information about it also visit Wikipedia. =)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:30 pm 
FTP Access

I still say use BitTorrent. Say... abandonbeta.com... :P

Top  Profile