BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 12h, 46m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5709MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Emulating OS X without install disk        Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:38 am 
is it possible to get an ISO image of mac os x legally without having the install disc off of a mac?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:52 am 
FTP Access

OS X is available in the same way as Windows ie both with new machines (although as with Windows the discs that come with machines are usually locked to that type of machine and so won't work in an emulator) as well as in standalone retail boxes that aren't tied to machines. All retail copies are PowerPC versions, which will run in an emulator like PearPC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:00 am 
Donator

Mac OS X Server 10.4.7 or up is available as an Universal flavour. Retail. It's $500, though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
(although as with Windows the discs that come with machines are usually locked to that type of machine and so won't work in an emulator)

But they can be cracked [can be as simple as removing an entry in config.sys / autoexec.bat or more harder].

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:07 am 
i just recently got a mac, and it did not come with an installation disc.

How would I crack an ISO from my mac?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:11 am 
Donator

Which Mac is it? Which OS does it have installed? You should have gotten an Install Disc with your Mac if it is new, so maybe have a call at your dealer's. That "crack" referred to Windows recovery discs, so it's worthless for you. If your dealer can't help you out, you'll need to "find" (you know what I mean, don't you?) the install discs somewhere else.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:11 am 
FTP Access

The Distractor wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
(although as with Windows the discs that come with machines are usually locked to that type of machine and so won't work in an emulator)

But they can be cracked [can be as simple as removing an entry in config.sys / autoexec.bat or more harder].

I don't think Mac ones can though - quite often they have bits customised for the processor in the Mac they came with eg G5, and of course the Intel ones don't contain the PowerPC version.

You can't get the ISO of the installation disc out of the Mac, you would need to have the original disc. Using the disc that comes with a Mac on a different Mac or in an emulator is as illegal as downloading a copy and using that anyway, so if you are prepared to do that you might as well just download one. What Mac do you have, just out of interest?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:31 am 
i have an imac. All that was in the box was the keyboard, mouse, computer, and some wires. I got it from the apple store.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:36 am 
Donator

It should have come with at least one DVD. Contact the Apple Store with your oder number to ask what's up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
The Distractor wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:

Well... some cds of oem installations have to be booted from recovery discs but everything you have to do is changing boot file to any other boot file from any NT based Windows (except Longhorn 4000+, Vista and LHS).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:16 am 
FTP Access

Don't a lot of OEM discs write pre-configured images from some special image format that you can't access the contents of to the disk though, so even if you could get the to install they wouldn't boot as all the configuration would be wrong? These discs are of course completely useless as you can't use them to repair your Windows installation if something goes wrong as they will only format your PC and return it to stock, complete with ancient drivers and preinstalled OEM junk! I'm pretty sure the ones that came with my PC are like that. Some are simply bios-locked Windows install CDs though, so you could crack those.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:44 am 
Donator

One of my older notebooks had a recovery CD that wrote an image, but it was in PowerQuest Drive Image format (.PQI), so there might have been a possibility to extract some files from that, although I haven't been able to find a tool that will open these files. Norton Ghost does come with one, though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:23 am 
You can create a restore image of your hard drive in OS X using Disk Utility - not quite the same as an install DVD, but if your system gets messed up enough, you can use it to restore the entire OS to a previous state.

Though you'll need the install dvd to boot up to disk utility if your OS gets really really messed up. A slight catch-22 I suppose..

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:52 pm 
FTP Access

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15464

download this and check it

Top  Profile