VirtualBox

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

VirtualBox

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

I've been looking at VirtualBox lately, and I'm impressed.

It's an open-source free PC virtualiser/emulator, like QEMU but with more GUI. It has a lot of the nice features of VMWare, ie USB device support, Snapshots, and a feature where you can use Remote Desktop to connect to your virtual machines. It's proving to be quite nice, it certainly owns VirtualPC as far as snapshots and performance goes. I installed XP Pro in about half the time as VPC.

I thought I'd mention it here as it's a nice free alternative to pirating, erh, buying VMWare Workstation. I'm yet to try any betas in it, but it'll be interesting to see how well they run.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

hjort
FTP Access

Post by hjort »

Looks nice. can`t wait to try it out
My gaming machine: AST Advantage 6066d. Cyrix 66MHz 486DX. 4MB RAM. 512KB Cirrus Logic onboard graphics. Creativa Vibra 16 ISA. 520MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 40x CD-ROM. MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.1

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

I will have to check it out, looks cool.

BTW: VMWare Server is free alternative to VMWare Workstation containing almost the same features

idontknow
FTP Access

Post by idontknow »

I used that in Linux, works very well. Really surprised (and somewhat scared) at the speed that XP booted in a Virtual PC environment.

Also tried it in Windows XP to replace Virtual PC, got an error when loading the Virtual PC so I gave up.

If I ever play around with Linux again, this software will definietly be installed.

dionet
Donator

Post by dionet »

I use it, and it is very fast, but it isn't the best option to the betas that require bios date change.

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

Looks nice... I'll have to try to download and try it out soon!
-Jeff