OSBA OS

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
ppc_digger
Donator

OSBA OS

Post by ppc_digger »

All former OSBA members probably remember all the discussion about our own OS. For those of you who don't, it's a custom Darwin-based OS, made by (former) OSBA members.

I have finished making a first pre-alpha version, which you can find at Andy's ftp server (thanks for the hosting btw). It's a basic Darwin system with X11 (which I'm going to replace), and opkg (a package manager I wrote for OSBA OS). I've also included GTK (both 1.2 and 2.8).

If anyone wants to help with the project, contact me (by PM or E-Mail). You can do just about anything: write documentation, code (C/C++, Perl, BASH, Python, etc.), make backgrounds, test, etc.

Current things that need to be done:
  • Write some small apps (in GTK, since that's the first thing I'll port to the new graphical environment), like a calculator, a paint program, some simple games, etc.
  • Port OpenAudio to Darwin/x86 8. I've made some progress on this end (I made it compile, but it still complains about missing symbols when inserting it to the kernel). You can find what I've done here: patch corresponding sources.
Thanks again to Andy for hosting.

dirtwarrior
FTP Access

Post by dirtwarrior »

Sounds like you put a lot of work into it. I remember it from osba. I was jdurall there

kidde
FTP Access

Post by kidde »

Great work! What do you intend to replace X11 with btw? I'm not familiar with any other windowing servers that run on Darwin..

ppc_digger
Donator

Post by ppc_digger »

kidde wrote:Great work! What do you intend to replace X11 with btw? I'm not familiar with any other windowing servers that run on Darwin..
I considered (porting) DirectFB, but then I decided to write a new one from scratch. I figured that a graphical environment built specifically for Darwin would run much better than one ported from Linux. At first it would be a simple graphical server with support for windows and widgets, then framebuffer support, and then, (if Apple would release free drivers that can run my Radeon 9600xt properly, otherwise I guess I'll have to find a GMA900) support for 2D and 3D acceleration.

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

I have to take a look on this
Because there is no more OSBA maybe this OS shoud be continued but the name shoud be changed. I thought about BCOS - BetaCollectorsOperatingSystem...

And btw. i want to help, very much... but i dont know what can i do for you?

tpemail
FTP Access

Post by tpemail »

I'll be glad to help(If I could do)

But I must get some more posts first...

expert01
FTP Access

Post by expert01 »

You should code in support for firefox running in kiosk mode

koll2786

hmmm.....

Post by koll2786 »

I remember there was talk about the osba os, if i remember correctly daxziz was the hoster. I could talk at him to see if he still has it floating around.

mtttt

Post by mtttt »

You must have a Live CD and a Installation CD

Chris-h11

Post by Chris-h11 »

I would help but i'm still working on getting the knowledge of making operating systems.

Frozenport
FTP Access
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

Can you use the standart Linux build proccedure to make programs that is:
./configure
make

and then run any Darwin program? Or do you need people to port everything?
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

Shrimp
FTP Access

Post by Shrimp »

I'm not sure if i would be able to help but... i'm sort of good at making OSs from already made source code, but when I make OSs from scratch they suck

Axalon

Post by Axalon »

I have experience building Linux systems from scratch (am an LFSer), and can probably be of some use with testing.

I'm currently trying to teach myself GTK+, but I am yet to be able to do anything useful with it (I can put widgets in a box on a window, and that's about it).

AnDrEwP182
FTP Access

Post by AnDrEwP182 »

i am crying just thinking about OSBA, well, memories better not hurt this much in OSes.

0vermind

Post by 0vermind »

What the interface look like?? I can't wait to see this OS.