BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 5h, 33m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 5661MB of 10810MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: My server and trying to understand it        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
well I got me a dedicated LAMP server, primarily for my parents website, but i intend on using it too.

it is running fedora core, and i can access it via ssh. I have no choice about using apache.

I really cant get to grips with it. Ive looked at numerous tutorials, and they say things should be somewhere and that directory doesnt even exsist on my server. and then wen i do find summat, i dont have permission to overwrite - when in root.

Can someone please explain in layman's terms how to use the damn thing?

WHY CAN'T THEY GIVE ME A GUI???

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:54 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Because Linux sucks when it comes go GUI's. You're better off with Windows if you don't understand shells and not having a GUI.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:35 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
Because Linux sucks when it comes go GUI's. You're better off with Windows if you don't understand shells and not having a GUI.

@andy: Let me remind you that you made the no-fanboy rule! :P

@tim: You might want to look at something like Webmin which you could install to get a web GUI to configure a lot of things on your server ... also if you want to do MySQL stuff, phpMyAdmin is great.

Last edited by pr0gram the pr0grammer on Wed May 16, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
thanks for the info :)

sorry about being a bit thingy in my other post, was tired and stressed. got a lot of things working on the server this morning, including a 160gb ftp for betaarchive.

thanks

tim

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:00 pm 
FTP Access

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
Andy wrote:

@andy: Let me remind you that you made the no-fanboy rule! :P

Lol, yeah! :P :lol: Although recommending that if you don't understand Linux you use Windows to run a server is probably closer to sound advice than fanboyism! :P

[not serious]The process of getting a Linux server to work is very straightforward anyway - all you need to do is start it up, insert the nearest Windows CD into its CD drive, restart it and then follow the easy step-by-step instructions that appear. From there onwards you'll find that your Linux server is relatively easy to use and has a working GUI ;)[/not serious]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:43 pm 
Donator

@Vista:
Another possibility if you don't understand something... learn to understand it (this is not meant 100% serious, but I think you get the message)). :wink:

@hougtimo:
Just to know, what do you want to accomplish on the server? Are the tutorials you followed applicable to your setup?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:35 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Actually I didnt make the rule, it was suggested to me. And yes it was more advice than fanboyism.

Saying linux sucks full stop and nothing in the world sucks more and windows rules the socks off all os's is fanboyism. However I was merely stating that if you don't know how to use linux then windows is a better choice.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:53 am 
Donator

Yep, and that is okay (giving advice), but your statement was phrased "Linux sucks when it comes to GUIs etc. etc. ..." which is not true in general and it sounded mistakable, at least to me. Anyway, if someone doesn't know how to use Linux, one option is to use something else as you suggested, the other one is to learn how to use it. Setting up a server serves as a good opportunity to do so IMHO.

Anyway, just my two cents, no offense intended to anyone, and keep it clean of fanboyism :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:56 am 
Donator

hugotime: Are you stuck on Fedora? Fedora is a special beast, and is preferred that you use packages (made by people who know the fedora system).

I would recommend one of two routes. Slackware or Gentoo.

Slackware is bare nitty gritty. It WANTS you to build your packages/updates from compiling... and if that is too much for you (you'll be amazed at how scared people are of './configure && make && make install'), there is http://www.linuxpackages.net/

Gentoo will solve any dependancy nightmares you have (well, mostly). After getting a system up and running, to get your LAMP setup, you would simply:

USE="apache php xml xslt mysql" emerge apache && rc-update add apache default && emerge sablotron php mod_php && emerge mysql && rc-update add mysql default

That should get you all of the software. Next a few things to configure:

- 'nano -w /etc/conf.d/apache2' (or edit with whatever editor you like) and add "-D PHP4" to APACHE2_OPTS
- Start Apache '/etc/init.d/apache start'
- Start MySQL '/etc/init.d/mysql start'
- '/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h [your hostname] password 'new-password' (Taken directly from instructions, I use firebird db, so you milage may vary)

Good luck.

P.S. People who have never used Gentoo often (mis)complain that you have to wait weeks to get a system "compiled". This used to be what is called Stage 1 installation, and has been depricated for almost two years now. Even Gentoo saavy people can NOT build from stage 1. Stage 3 is the installation method used. More or less, it is all of the base packages are installed precompiled. You THEN have the option to 'emerge -E world', which will recompile your whole system package by package, with your optimizations from /etc/make.conf

Top  Profile