BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 7h, 26m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 5522MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Anti-virus software        Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:09 am 
FTP Access

Basically I'm interested in installing some anti-virus software that can be used to quickly/easily/reliably scan a file or selected files for viruses, as well as perform virus scans of the entire system on-demand. I do not want anything that runs in the background and adds overheads to my system (or if it does, that all of this can be disabled without killing the on-demand scanning capabilities), nor do I want some massive great bloated package - just something really small that I can scan files that I download from the internet with. Is there such a thing, or is all anti-virus software stuff that runs 10 processes all the time and having a virus is preferable to using?!

The reason I'm suddenly interested in having some virus protection is that last night I discovered that I'd somehow got my first ever virus - typical, given that it was on my brand new Vista installation that I only installed a few days ago :evil: The first I knew of it was when I saw a "virus alert" in the "Problem Reports and Solutions" control panel, the "Malicious Software Removal Tool" that came down from Windows Update with Tuesday's patches having picked it up, and it's been a real headache cleaning it up as it had infected a lot of my .exes . Luckily I found a Sophos tool designed to deal with this specific virus which cleaned up all the .exes, although a few did seem to get nuked in the process. It's all gone now, but I want to make sure it doesn't happen again by scanning anything that I download from the internet (except off Microsoft or somewhere like that where you can be sure the files are clean) before using it. This one seems a pretty harmless virus that just adds itself into all of your .exes, but of course it could have been a lot worse if it had been one that deletes files, steals passwords etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:26 am 
FTP Access

nod32

I used to be an AVG fan, but it has since turned more bloated and starting to resemble something as evil as norton/mcaffee

but yeah, just get nod32 :)

btw, it has a brilliant resident scanner, which can be disabled; but you can even convert it to just a standalone on demand scanner with these files (which come to just over 8mb with today's updates):

Code:
nod32.000
nod32.002
nod32.003
nod32.004
nod32.005
nod32.006
nod32.exe
pu_nod32.dll
ps_nod32.dll

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
depends if you are willing to pay. if you are, Kaspersky has a brilliant reputation. If not, I'd recommend Avast Anti-virus. I agree with bob on avg, though, its becoming overloaded and its not even that secure.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:13 am 
FTP Access

Nod32 or Kaspersky. Both update often and are pretty fast and reliable.
Personally, I prefer Nod32.

Edit: Here are comparisons of most common antiviruses http://www.av-comparatives.org

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:52 am 
FTP Access

never compare using tables - they have probably been fixed somehow.
personal experience says nod32, its quick and it always being updated

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:42 am 
FTP Access

I looked for the NOD one as that seems to be what most of you recommend but it all seems to be 30-day trials - is there a free version of it hidden somewhere, as from the way it was talked about I assumed it was free?

I might download a few of the ones mentioned and try them out in a virtual machine, see what they're like - I really don't want any background stuff, but am quite keen to get something as I'm a lot more wary about downloading files from the internet now! I don't have a clue where exactly this thing came from - it infected hundreds of my .exes so there's no way I can trace it back to one.

Also, one of the .exes that seems to have got nuked by the process of removing the stuff that the virus added to them all is whatever application displays the help in Office 2007, as now nothing happens when I click the Help button (some of the Office apps eg Word got nuked too, but I just copied fresh versions from the install CD so that they work again - what happened was a few of my apps changed to Windows' default icon for a .exe and said "this is not a valid win32 application" when I tried to run them). Do any of you know what app deals with the Help in Office 2007, so that I can find it on the install CD and copy it across?

I don't know if it appears as a separate process in Task Manager - if anyone could open the Help in Office 2007 (or it may even have the same name in older versions of Office) and see if an app appears in the list and if so what it's called, that would be most helpful for me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:44 am 
Donator

Nod32 isn't free... however I think it is well worth the money. Try the trial in a VM and see if you like it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:20 am 
FTP Access

I use both AVG anti-spyware and anti-virus free, avast! (its always free), ad-aware, spywareblaster, and the totally ineffective windows defender (PAPER WALL!!)
the AVG free doesn't have live scanner, but it has slightly better virus database then avast so i use it once a month to scan for whatever slipped past avast...
i use avast! for live scanning... plus it has very and very good scanner...
adaware is good for... adware...
spyware blaster is for when occasionally some crappy windows app forces me to use even crappier IE7...

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:10 am 
I myself are back on Avast, seems to be the only free one I've found to
actually find anything as it lands on your doorstep.

Last edited by Aztech on Sat May 12, 2007 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPost subject: Anti-virus software        Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Use Symantec Antivirus, you can shut down the background services and its lite on your memory.

I didn't get a single virus since 20 august 2006.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista SP1
I used NOD32, but it kept telling me it is out-of-date, but when I wanted to ckeck for updates it was telling me that there are no new updates.

I now use AVG Free

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:19 am 
FTP Access

i prefer NOD32 as its simple to use

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Haiku OS
I work at a local computer store and we mainly use NOD32.

It has a stupid bug with updating, but selecting a different update server (there are loads (>30)) normally does the trick.

Also, there was a guy in a national tech forum that did by himself a comparative of free and paid antivirus and the only ones that detected 100% of the sample infected files he used were NOD32 and Kaspersky.

Also, if you are tired of looking for keys for kaspersky or prefer not to pay for an AV, you can also pick AOL (Sorry.. AOL...) Active Virus Search which is nothing more than Kaspersky with a kinda different frontend. Same engine, same reliability.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:15 pm 
FTP Access

I use NOD32 on my Computer and my Sister is using AntiVir Free Edition.

I never had problems with both

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:18 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
I use Avast. Free, it features on-access scanning (unlike AVG Free) and it is regularly updated. Give it a go.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:30 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Compact-mac wrote:
I use Avast. Free, it features on-access scanning (unlike AVG Free) and it is regularly updated. Give it a go.

Avast is the best free anti-virus, and it does a good job of cleaning up viruses.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]