BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 9h, 41m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 1875MB of 2949MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 PostPost subject: NT 4 Embedded        Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:55 pm 
FTP Access

Whilst flicking through Windows codenames, I came across one that I've not yet seen: Impala - the codename for Windows NT 4 Embedded.

Has anyone heard or used this one? A quick search on the usual P2P networks revealed nothing, but a search on MS's msdn archives turned up a bit of info:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms837263.aspx

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Hmmm... Interesting... Ive never heard about it... And look at the strange date:
Quote:
August 2001

Windows NT 4 is from 1996 AFAIK...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:31 pm 
FTP Access

off topic psiren are you the one that worked on neptune? If so good work.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:33 pm 
Donator

@psiren
Asking if anyone has used this OS, do you mean final or beta? Speaking of the final, I have a thin client running it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:41 pm 
FTP Access

Off topic, lol yea I am. I'm suprised that someone still remembers it. As it happens, I'm restoring a copy of the FTP site I ran on OSBA from tape (with a view to starting another for here). If anyone else is (still) interested, I've put an ISO of the last version I did along with a screenshot on my website here:

http://www.psirens.co.uk/osba/neptune/

(Don't be expecting lightning fast speeds anymore. I'm back down to a single residential line again!)

Last edited by psiren on Mon May 07, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:44 pm 
FTP Access

Sorry to double post, but back on topic...

@empireum: I did mean both and any releases. I don't suppose you'd be willing to share the wealth that is the NT Embedded install media would you please? :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:52 pm 
Donator

psiren wrote:
Sorry to double post, but back on topic...

@empireum: I did mean both and any releases. I don't suppose you'd be willing to share the wealth that is the NT Embedded install media would you please? :wink:

If I had them, maybe... But I don't, I just have the image sitting in the thin client's flash. Some time ago, someone was selling them on eBay (2 genuine CDs), but I, in a brain-dead moment, missed the auction. From then on, my attempts to dig out a copy of the NT4 Embedded install media have been failures...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:05 pm 
FTP Access

Aye. I've hunted through ebay already (even completed listings) looking for it. Nada. Looks like it's as rare as rocking horse s**t!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:23 pm 
FTP Access

Would any of the MSDN subscription sets have contained NT Embedded, and if so what year and what subscription package? That might be the easiest way to get this OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:32 pm 
Donator

I don't know actually, but I'd rather doubt it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:22 am 
FTP Access

Not a bad idea! I'm guessing that this kind of thing might have been eligible to go into a MSDN release. I'll do a bit of digging...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:19 pm 
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Would any of the MSDN subscription sets have contained NT Embedded, and if so what year and what subscription package? That might be the easiest way to get this OS.

I'm pretty sure I've read on some official sight that the beta was released
sometime in 1999, & only to 350 odd official testers, that pretty much
limits our chances.
If I find the sight, I'll post the link.
It went on to mention how it looked like MS have finally made a headless
windows version that worked without the need for a video card, monitor
and other hardware.
I was amazed at how late after the NT release that the beta of Impala was
actually released.
But then they were still releasing XP builds up until early last year weren't
they.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:30 pm 
FTP Access

Sorry guys but MSDN doesn't have any version of Windows NT 4.0 anymore :( (due to the MSJVM lawsuit all of this was removed)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:57 pm 
Donator

Aztech wrote:
It went on to mention how it looked like MS have finally made a headless
windows version that worked without the need for a video card, monitor
and other hardware.

Funny you should mention that ... I was last night poking around the Server Appliance Kit 2.0 for Windows 2000 Server, and found that it has a utility called "saprep" that appears to let you do the same with a normal copy of Windows 2000. It installs its own null video driver, and removes the keyboard and mouse drivers from the system, leaving it headless. (beheaded?)

Here's some documentation about it: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854660.aspx

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:33 am 
FTP Access

I've seen this before. The kiosks at the Kroger store run this version of NT.
Was there ever a Windows 2000 embedded? or, will there be one for vista?

Offtopic: psiren you worked on neptune? I remember that was one of my favorite custom OSes there. Reminds me of the NT4 modernization...

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:58 am 
ToastyCheesy wrote:
Was there ever a Windows 2000 embedded?

Delving into the files with programs like reshack suggest that there either
was, or optioned to be, an embedded version of 2000.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Aztech wrote:
ToastyCheesy wrote:

Threre was, I noticed a 2000 Embedded COA sticker on the KODAK kiosk at WAL * MART

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:11 pm 
FTP Access

Fireware wrote:
Aztech wrote:
ToastyCheesy wrote:

Threre was, I noticed a 2000 Embedded COA sticker on the KODAK kiosk at WAL * MART

Is there a way to get this or a beta?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:51 pm 
FTP Access

Quote:
Is there a way to get this or a beta?

So far, I've only managed to find a copy of XP Embedded. 2000 Embedded and the grail that is NT Embedded are somewhat more elusive. eBay and a couple of P2P networks also turn up nothing. Has anyone else had any better luck?

Offtopic @ToastyCheesy/anybody else: Thanks for the support! I'm limited in bandwidth nowadays and will be shortly taking my hacked Neptune ISO off my website. Could someone kindly stick it on their FTP servers to share out? Thanks :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:24 pm 
Donator

AFAIK, there were only NT4 and XP Embedded so far (but Vista Embedded is in the works). Windows 2000 Embedded does not exist AFAIK, although the presence of the bitmaps in the Win2k system files might suggest it does.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:22 pm 
FTP Access

I found a guy that's made a PDF about what additions can found in NT 4e that weren't in the 'regular' NT 4 located here:

http://www.seanliming.com/Docs/Windows_NT_Embedded_Step-by-Step.pdf

EDIT: And a review written in 98 when Microsoft was getting ready to release it (projected 1999):
http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG19981104S0006

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Ive owned NT Embedded        Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:09 am 
Donator

I had to use NT Embedded for a contract I was working on a long time ago. Unfortunately, the cd was on the floor and I didn't notice, and I ran my chair right on top of it and destroyed it.

Ever since Ive been looking for a copy of NT 4 embedded. For sale or otherwise. The search has now become many years and frustrating just doesnt sum it up.

With each release of NT Embedded, they stop selling and supporting the previous version (When I called MS to get someone who sold NT4 Embedded, for a replacement, they told me you can't get it any longer, and tried to sell me a Windows 2000 Embedded package). 2000 Embedded was short lived. Remember, NT4 had 5 years of use, Win2000 only 2 before XP came along. 5 years later, Vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ive owned NT Embedded        Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:25 am 
FTP Access

RentedMule wrote:
Ever since Ive been looking for a copy of NT 4 embedded. For sale or otherwise. The search has now become many years and frustrating just doesnt sum it up.

But what I don't understand is why this is so rare? Anything that's been release for general sale normally isn't rare (except Windows 1.00, but then again no-one seems to know whether that was actually ever sold or not) - surely there must be thousands of thin clients etc that had this OS, so there must be a lot of copies of it out there?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:22 am 
FTP Access

I quizzed the guy that ran the site that I posted earlier, and he's got back to me. His reaction was that no-one sells it now-adays. NT is EOL and as such it can no longer be purchased. eBay (although other auction sites are available) seem to be the best place to find it. His reaction was "Why would you ever want that? Why not just use XP Embedded?". Try explaining that you collect old os'es!

Anyway, as no-one here has it, it seems like this is definately a real gem for anyones collection! Maybe not as shiny as Windows 1.0 or the lost versions of Neptune, but I'm guessing it'll be up there alright!

On another note, (and I'm not too sure how much weight this one holds) I was flicking through the archives of "Active Windows" to see if theres any news on there about NT4e, when I came accross yet ANOTHER codename:

Quote:
..Microsoft has dabbled and continues to experiment with the idea of producing a thin client, at least in a roundabout way. There's "Chameleon," its NT-Embedded-based Internet appliance OS, that seems to be in limbo at the moment..

(Just for reference, taken from here http://www.activewin.com/news/1999/sept_1.shtml

Anyone heard f this one?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:40 am 
FTP Access

Again, sorry for the double post, but I knew trolling through archives would turn up something! On ActiveWins site (http://www.activewin.com/news/1999/august.shtml), I found this:

Quote:
Microsoft plans to release a version of its Windows NT operating system Monday for use in so-called embedded settings. The new version of NT, originally discussed last fall, is targeted at specialized markets, such as manufacturing, networking equipment, and point-of-sale devices. Microsoft plans to sell the software through third-party device makers, often called original equipment manufacturers (OEM).

Microsoft's latest Windows operating system variant is tailored for use in devices such as network routers and switches, industrial machines, and health care equipment, for example. Copier giant Xerox intends to use the software within its document management systems for corporate offices. 3Com has also pledged to utilize the software within its network switching hardware.

Windows NT Embedded 4.0 enters a market dominated by numerous small firms, such as Wind River Systems, QNX Software Systems, and Integrated Systems, among others.

There a bigger review on Cnet located here: http://news.com.com/2100-1001-229562.html. On this one, it goes on to explain that an integrator, Avnet, are going to be (or did) distribute the software. I've contacted them to see if they still sell it.... We'll see!

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next