BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 8h, 8m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 5964MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: If GM had developed Technology like Microsoft...        Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:24 am 
Donator

we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road,
you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason.
You would have to pull over to the side of the road,
close all of the windows, shut off the car,
restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue.
For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a manoeuvre
such as a left turn would cause
your car to shut down and refuse to restart,
in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by
the sun, was reliable, five times as fast
and twice as easy to drive
- but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator
warning lights would all be replaced by a single
"This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask, "Are you sure?",before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever,
your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in
until you simul-taneously lifted the door handle,
turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced,
car buyers would have to learn how to drive
all over again because none of the controls would
operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn
the engine off

The Number One HTTP Server On The Internet

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:33 am 
Donator

LOL, so true! :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
^^ is it though???

1) In all the time I've been running windows (final releases) I have NEVER had the full system lock up on me. A lot of people who I work with have never had windows completely lock either. However, a lot of my clients have and it's usually user error, or drivers or dodgy software.

2) Windows is one of the more "backwards-compatible" systems. This sounds more like a mac.

3) Same answer as number 1.

4) Again, same as number 1.

5) lol, so true :P

6) I find windows error messages, in general, to be fairly informative. Much more than some unix / linux variants.

7) Yeah, ok, fair point.

8) I, nor anyone that I know has had any sort of problems which require strange workarounds...

9) Hmmm....things haven't changed much between 95-xp have they? or does that blue skin confuse people? Anyway, Vista I find to work more intuitively so, I don't think that was a valid point. Even my gran had no problems moving from 98-2000-xp-vista, and she's 87!

10) Yeah...I agree with this one...But technically the "start" button no longer exists in Vista.

Sorry to be a spoil-sport, but all this windows bashing gets me pissed off.

HougTimo

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:01 pm 
FTP Access

Most of these types of things are based on Windows 95 - they haven't really been updated for XP :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:57 pm 
FTP Access

hougtimo wrote:
Sorry to be a spoil-sport, but all this windows bashing gets me pissed off.

I agree, it really is needless and it's really quite grating sometimes...

As for the joke, it's an old one, but I'm sure it gave a couple of people a laugh so it can't all be bad. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:08 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Gentoo
I've actually never ever had a problem with windows 95 as far as i can remember :D

I plan to downgrade my laptop to windows 95 at some stage

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:18 am 
FTP Access

kichimi wrote:
I've actually never ever had a problem with windows 95 as far as i can remember :D

I seem to remember sometimes getting those "fatal exception OE" etc BSoDs when I was running Windows 95, as well as illegal operations. It wasn't that bad though, I suppose!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:48 am 
FTP Access

so true
love the airbag one, cracked me up because just before i read it Vista asked me for the n^th if i wanted to allow firefox to open....
which reminds me, why the hell am i using vista right now, i got a perfectly got OS installed already...
meh

Wait, if this is "If GM had developed technology like Microsoft" that would mean that it was GM making the cars... so why is mac used in there.... why not some other company...
meh
still cracked me up XD

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:32 pm 
Donator

hougtimo wrote:
2) Windows is one of the more "backwards-compatible" systems. This sounds more like a mac.

The Mac OS interface has been the same since System 1.0. In comparison, the Windows GUI has been changed completely twice (2.0-3.x, 3.x-95).

hougtimo wrote:
6) I find windows error messages, in general, to be fairly informative. Much more than some unix / linux variants.

Is General Protection Fault more informative than Stack Overflow, Segmentation Fault and Paging Error (all corresponding to the same Windows error)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:27 am 
FTP Access

with linux, it gives you EVERYTHING that went wrong, you sometimes just need to open the log file... but it will tell you EVERYTHING
windows just might say This Program had an unexpected Error (ever had an expected error???) or the Blue Screen... but the BLue Screen is temporary there.... once it crashs, you restart and its gone.

linux, th error log is there till you delete it

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:36 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
The auto restart on blue screen can be prevented. It auto restarts by default incase that system is of importance and needs to be back online as soon as possible.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:10 pm 
Donator

Yep, but the auto restart is enabled by default. I've had it numerous times that a client's system would bluescreen but then restart so quickly I couldn't read anything. So, as a first step, you have to disable that before you can start investigating the error.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
ppc_digger wrote:
hougtimo wrote:

The Mac OS interface has been the same since System 1.0. In comparison, the Windows GUI has been changed completely twice (2.0-3.x, 3.x-95).

hougtimo wrote:

Is General Protection Fault more informative than Stack Overflow, Segmentation Fault and Paging Error (all corresponding to the same Windows error)?

By backwards compatibile, I meant that you don't have to have all the new software everytime you upgrade your os. And you don't have to upgrade the damn thing every year for £149 a time.

And all the errors I have had on windows have allowed me to rectify the problem easily and quickly. I have never had a blue screen (apart from when overclocking) so I don't know what the big deal with those is anyway.

HougTimo

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:46 pm 
Donator

hougtimo wrote:
By backwards compatibile, I meant that you don't have to have all the new software everytime you upgrade your os. And you don't have to upgrade the damn thing every year for £149 a time.

I don't know what you're exactly talking about, but with Mac OS, you don't have to do that either. Nobody forces you to buy the new OS when it comes out ~2 years after the last release, the older version will still be supported. And you don't need to buy new versions of all your apps either. All the software I've had to upgrade when going from 10.3 to 10.4 was freeware, none of my commercial apps had any problems.

Besides that, remember people, this is a JOKE, something to laugh at or not, it was never intended to start a war. Some comments might have been meant ironically.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:38 pm 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Nobody forces you to buy the new OS when it comes out ~2 years after the last release, the older version will still be supported. And you don't need to buy new versions of all your apps either. All the software I've had to upgrade when going from 10.3 to 10.4 was freeware, none of my commercial apps had any problems.

Maybe he was referring to the OS9 to OSX transition, or the transition to Intel processors, which do pretty much require you to replace your applications?

empireum wrote:
Besides that, remember people, this is a JOKE, something to laugh at or not, it was never intended to start a war. Some comments might have been meant ironically.

:lol: True!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:44 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Maybe he was referring to the OS9 to OSX transition, or the transition to Intel processors, which do pretty much require you to replace your applications?

Maybe. But the OS9 to X transition was years ago and he was talking about having to upgrade every year, which is not true. And as for the Intel transition, while it'll certainly increase the speed of your apps, you don't need to update them if you don't want to and can live with the speed impact Rosetta will cause.

But, well, it's a JOKE, let's not get too deep into this.

Top  Profile