PS/2 to USB

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
scb3131

PS/2 to USB

Post by scb3131 »

I've been searching and searching and can't find and answer to this question. Will a PS/2 to USB adapter only work for Keyboard and Mouse, or can you plug an External USB hard drive into it and use it as a regular USB port.

The reason for this, is that i have an old Compaq Armada notebook that has no USB ports and i want to hook up a USB Hard drive enclosure, just needed a way to do it cheaply.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

No, PS2 will only work for PS2 items except usb keyboards/mice. For one thing it can't provide the 500mA necessary for most usb items. PS2 only supplies around 100mA and the interface isnt plug and play like USB.

scb3131

Post by scb3131 »

thanks, i had doubt that it would have worked. The power would not have been a problem, because it would be obtained from an outlet.

Thanks

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

You can get PCMCIA usb adaptors if that would help things. Check eBay for them.

fireshark

Post by fireshark »

Besides, PS2 bus would not have been exposed to Windows as a mass storage device. The USB to PS2 adapters are sort of like a condom for the keyboard/mouse, if hard drives weren't ever supposed to be on the PS2 bus they wont work now

Tom Stanley

Post by Tom Stanley »

Strangely, I managed to get a USB Memory stick working through a PS2 to USB converter, although it was slow!

Tom

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Tom Stanley wrote:Strangely, I managed to get a USB Memory stick working through a PS2 to USB converter, although it was slow!

Tom
For some reason, I am reluctant to believe this unless proven this really works...

Tom Stanley

Post by Tom Stanley »

I'll try and get proof for you, maybe a picture.

ppc_digger
Donator

Post by ppc_digger »

I believe it will provide the USB key with power (as PS/2 gives the same voltage as USB), but nothing more. The PS/2 protocol is radically different (in addition to being designed for signaling, rather than for data). Combo mice and keyboards can use both because they have controllers that can detect what they are connected to and use the correct protocol (that's why you can't take an old PS/2-only mouse and connect it to a USB port using an adapter).

wint3rmute

Post by wint3rmute »

Tom Stanley wrote:Strangely, I managed to get a USB Memory stick working through a PS2 to USB converter, although it was slow!

Tom
Perhaps you are getting confused with something else... Yonks ago there was a connector similar to PS2 that I believe was for data transfer... My old computer had one. It wasn't PS2 though... you couldn't connect a PS2 device to it. It was more like the TV out port of video cards... ((different pin locations))... Used for programmable chips (like PIC boards) If they ever made a USB connector for it I'm not sure, I also seriously doubt Windows XP would support it and the power supplied to it wouldnt be sufficient.

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

By "TV out ports" looking like PS/2 ports, I think you mean S-video.

The rest I'm not sure about.

Oerg
FTP Access

Post by Oerg »

Not all USB Mouses / Keyboards work... This is simply not really clear but:

It only works if the USB Device SUPPORTS PS/2 protocol, too, otherwise it doesn't.

Thats the same with Serial->PS/2 adapters. No Protocol, No function.

Greetings
Oerg

Frozenport
FTP Access
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

Furthermore, to my chagrin few optical usb nice work with the PS/2 adapters...
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

Frozenport wrote:Furthermore, to my chagrin few optical usb nice work with the PS/2 adapters...
Do you mean that the ps2 to usb connector gives the 5 volts needed to charge a usb device? I'll have to try that for myself soon!
-Jeff

blahsucks-two
FTP Access

Post by blahsucks-two »

Really? All the optical USB mice I've bought came with those adapters, and they certainly worked fine. They were wireless, too. (or were they PS2 mice? not sure, but end result is the same)

Skyfrog
FTP Access

Post by Skyfrog »

My keyboard is AT, a Zenith ZKB-2. I've used it ever since I had my 286 and currently it's plugged into an AT to PS/2 adapter, which is plugged into a PS/2 to USB adapter. Still works fine.

Everyone is right, PS/2 ports cannot be used with things like hard drives.