BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 10h, 21m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 2488MB of 5197MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: Vistaphobia        Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Gentoo
One question,

Am i the only one who cant stand vista..at all?

I used it today and it irritated me so much i stopped using the computer, went home, grabbed my laptop and used that!

Anyone one else feel this way towards vista?

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:23 pm 
No your not the only one who feels that way.
It's eye candy is just too over the top for me, & typically it's one of the
reasons why systems need to be upgraded to run it. :roll:
I think when support is dropped for 2000 and XP i'll be looking for an
alternative to MS windows, unless they make the flp version of vista with
the option of using the legacy theme similar to how XP does.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:29 pm 
Donator

ummm, vista's eye candy is the only postive thing in vista, everything is crap.
If you don't like the eye candy, then you must hate vista.
I'm just using it cause I got it for free, I wouldn't go and buy a copy,
Vista is one of those lame os that gives me some trouble in a while.
I like the driver support for vista.
for the rest, XP and 2k was way better.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:34 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Looks great, but its crap, so Im with you.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Yeh, I agree, Vista without Aero is far worse than xp. Aero is its only redeeming feature. I am only using it because i got it free too.
As For FLP Vista, Apparently they're releasing a new version at the same time as Vista SP1, based on vista.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Gentoo
Ah well at least i know im not alone, i really don't want my parents to get vista but they're buying a new pc soon. they wont listen to me. they wont move over the mac because its totally different but they'll move over to vista and refuse to believe me that its totally different! But i guess it will be a case of 'i told you so' if i don't win in this argument.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:32 pm 
Donator

im sure mac is more different than vista is, and im sure it will be just as easy for them to browse the internet and check emails on vista as it is on xp (or whatever os they are using)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:34 pm 
Donator

I also don't like Vista that much. Its new graphical stuff looks nice, okay, but irritates me to some extent and its ridicolously high system requirements (compared to XP's) and the changes to the UI like in the Control Panel just annoy me. If I use "NT 6.0" at all, it'll be Longhorn Server, with the Classic theme. But the fat bloated Vista – never.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:08 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I like Vista (wow, you'd never think my kind existed)

I find that the new JIT and program excelleration makes my system run faster...
Furthermore, Vista seems to better know how to use x64 (for example unrarx64 runs 4/3 faster on Vista x64 then on XP or Paint.Net runs 3/2 faster)

Ultimatly I am impressed by Vista because my programs run faster. One of the things that people forget to do is optomize services, for example not everybody needs the tons of network features or group policy.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:28 am 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
Looks great, but its crap, so Im with you.

hounsell wrote:
Yeh, I agree, Vista without Aero is far worse than xp. Aero is its only redeeming feature. I am only using it because i got it free too.
As For FLP Vista, Apparently they're releasing a new version at the same time as Vista SP1, based on vista.

You're so right. Thats why i wait for Longhorn :wink:

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:18 am 
FTP Access

Frozenport wrote:
I like Vista (wow, you'd never think my kind existed)

I find that the new JIT and program excelleration makes my system run faster...
Furthermore, Vista seems to better know how to use x64 (for example unrarx64 runs 4/3 faster on Vista x64 then on XP or Paint.Net runs 3/2 faster)

Ultimatly I am impressed by Vista because my programs run faster. One of the things that people forget to do is optomize services, for example not everybody needs the tons of network features or group policy.

I optimised services and drivers, till the point I could disable the pagefile for my pc with 768mb RAM and still run big games. Yet my programs still don't run faster on Vista. The only thing good for Vista is the game performace. Even though my obsolite graphic card can never ever run Aero (though it can run a look alike in Linux) my games lag less on high detail. However, the bootup is way too slow. It has to be like my XP installation in bootup speed!!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:29 am 
FTP Access

It's the age old thing. I was really reluctant to go to 95 when it first came out. DOS and 3.1 did me just fine! As for the new look and way of working? I thought it was crap! I feel the same about Vista.

Inevitably though, 2000 and XP will go EOL and fizzle out like 95 did. I don't think any of us will forsee this happening in the near future. But when it (eventually) finally does - will any of us notice?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:08 am 
FTP Access

That's why, I'd get a Mac, that way, I can run both OS's legally on the same system. If you get sick of one of them, you can always switch to the other! :)

Trust me, the extra money will do you good!

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:30 pm 
Donator

troyoda1990 wrote:
That's why, I'd get a Mac, that way, I can run both OS's legally on the same system. If you get sick of one of them, you can always switch to the other! :)

Trust me, the extra money will do you good!

Agreed. I've never regretted buying an Intel Mac.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:24 pm 
FTP Access

I don't like it much either I'm afraid... I'm not gonna bash it and go on a nonsensical rant about it, I'll just let it quietly pass me by...

I've actually got a Vista theme on my XP right now because I wanted a change from the theme I had for a while and I quite like it. The rest of Vista though I can really live without. I liked some of the little touches (like the free HDD space guages in My Computer) but it's not worth the hassle for those. Longhorn was alright when it was XP and then some, but it seemed to get worse as it got nearer completion.

With all the eye candy turned off it kinda works on my system and Task Manager says it's not using all that many more resources than XP did but it feels unresponsive and... well... just unpleasant, I can't pinpoint it.

With the eye candy (full blown Aero Glass) on, my system crawls. It gets a 1.0 score with my adequate 256MB ATi Radeon 9250 (unsupported, but more than enough for my needs) and a 2.0 score with my 128MB nVidia FX5200... The ATi card, since it's unsupported, doesn't let me use Aero at all and the nV card (which I don't think is supported, but it is DX9 compatible) lets me use the Aero effects but it's sluggish.

Dreamscene sucked. It's not a necessary feature, but VLC (IIRC), WinAmp and K!TV will all let me have full screen, full motion video on my desktop without a problem. Dreamscene just won't do it.

XP and Server 2003 work just fine on this machine. No slowdown, fairly light on HDD space compared to Vista and altogether more pleasant to use.

I've heard people say it's the ME of the NT line. I don't know if I agree with this, but I can easily see why they say it. I'll just wait I think.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
The few Vista machines I've had to deal with at work I really don't like. Part of it is that it's new and I'm unfamiliar with it. The other part is that Vista seems to be he most convoluted release of Windows (interface wise) that Microsoft has released to date.

But soon I should a have a Vista workstation available to play with, so we'll see.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:22 am 
FTP Access

people said xp's requirements were too high when it was released. We seem to have forgotten about moore's law. Lets see, xp wouldn't install with under 128megs of ram, that was in 2001. Vista was released in 2007, and required a minimum of 512megs, so a four fold increase in 6 years, while the hardware doubling rate was 1.5years, meaning that computer power has increased 16fold since 2001. On the cpu side, xp recommended a 1ghz cpu, and vista recommends a 2ghz cpu, even taking into account other boosts aside from clockspeed, thats still under the increase over time. Xp required something like 5gigs of hard drive space, vista around 15 is recommended, so thats under the 16fold increase. Infact, the only requirement of vista that is excessive when looking at hardware trends is the graphics card side, and 3d graphics were pretty rudimentary in 2001, so again, not much of a comparison. Just though I would point this out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:24 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
XP wont install with under 64MB RAM actually. Itll also run on a 166mhz cpu quite happily :)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:10 am 
FTP Access

very highly tweaked of course, its still close to the 16fold increase

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:25 am 
FTP Access

Deathwarder wrote:
We seem to have forgotten about moore's law. Lets see, xp wouldn't install with under 128megs of ram, that was in 2001. Vista was released in 2007, and required a minimum of 512megs, so a four fold increase in 6 years, while the hardware doubling rate was 1.5years, meaning that computer power has increased 16fold since 2001.

The amount of Ram doesn't seem to have been increasing in line with Moore's Law in recent years though - for instance, 512 MB or 1 GB has been the standard for years now. A lot of PCs still come with only 512 MB of Ram, the absolute minimum for Vista, and there were plenty of machines still on the market with 256 MB just before Vista was released. Back in 2001, you wouldn't have found machines on the market that were on the absolute minimum for XP to install (64 MB) or below the XP requirements up until its release eg 32 MB.

Also, is it not necessary to question whether an OS by itself should really need 512 MB Ram? It just seems perhaps a little wasteful, when to be honest XP does most things that you could need and will run well with just 128 MB.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:18 am 
FTP Access

thats sort of my point, the reason ram hasn't increased is because microsoft didn't release vista on time, and so there was no incentive to increase ram except for gamers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:15 am 
FTP Access

I just noticed this process that appeared in Vista's Task Manager when I started playing some music in WMP (just MP3, no DRM even) - anyone else noticed this? I thought all the Protected Path DRM that Vista is stuffed with only applied to Blu-Ray/HD-DVD, but there it is sucking up the CPU... (it is a virtual machine, so presumably on a real machine it wouldn't have that kind of CPU hit). I don't especially like this aspect of Vista though :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:18 pm 
FTP Access

any of you watch southpark?
ya know how Kenny is always kicking the (canadian) baby through windows and stuff?
well thats exactly i want to do with vista.
seriously, i want to know where i can find a physical vista logo ball
i really dislike vista.
and ya know how apple totally supported DRM until windows took it up then immediatly dropped it?
kinda funny, no? Apple totally supports DRM, DRM music everything. Then when microsoft makes an OS with integrated DRM, Steve Jobs publicly dislikes it... hmm.... am i the only one who finds this funny?

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:16 pm 
FTP Access

that pipeline isn't just drm, it lets vista run music/video through other applications using windows media player's engine. Firefox can now play wmp stuff.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:49 am 
FTP Access

firefox has been playing wmp stuff for a while
SONGBIRD FTW!!!
DOWN WITH WMP!!!
:P

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next