BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 11h, 39m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 2847MB of 4909MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

FTP: The FTP is planned to be offline for some time during Friday to Sunday this weekend for upgrades. 19/04/2018

Automatic Notice: The FTP is currently experiencing problems and is offline. Please sit tight while the problem is fixed. - 21/Apr 08:41am GMT

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: iPad Clones        Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Not sure if anyone has heard of any of these. The iPed, aPad, ePad, or my personal favorite, the Ezy Touch (http://www.shopkami.com/shop.html?page= ... ct_id=3332). AFAIK they are made in china, but they have a pretty good amount of ram, and a good processor to (about 1 GHz, 256-512 MB ram). The Ezy Touch is more like a netboook because of more space and ram.

Not sure if any of you guys bought/know/or have opinions on these things, but I might just buy one-if I get the money, but I need some research. I like the Ezy Touch, but it's expensive, but you'll see why i like it...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: iPad Clones        Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Theres been many Chinese tablets coming up in the last year. Many of them are ARM based and run a modified version of Android. You can find some on Meritline: http://www.meritline.com/tablet-pc---c-13924.aspx

But this is x86 based, sort of like the upcoming HP Slate which was recently resurrected. And yes just like the HP Slate it is basically netbook hardware inside a tablet. If you want something for browsing the internet your better off with something else. But there will be those, especially in the corporate setting that need to run programs on Windows and also need ultra portability. For example Ive seen doctors offices who once grabbed patient info from a file cabinet and brought it into the room on a clipboard carrying around a netbook instead, and retrieving the data over wifi. I could see them also using a tablet since it resembles the clipboard form factor.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: iPad Clones        Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
I have one, forgot the name, but it has Android 2.1 and a 600MHz ARM processor. Nice little tablet, wish it didn't have this fugly iPad clone shell.

Overall, if you're using them for web browsing and messing with Android, go get it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: iPad Clones        Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:09 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Well any functional one will set you back ~130+ USD.

Should you buy one depends on your needs (and if you have money to feed yourself).

For example to do development you probably need the machine.

If you want to browse the internet get a much more functional netbook for ~ 200 USD.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: iPad Clones        Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Windows 7 on a tablet? Pass. Talk about unusable for anything without a physical keyboard.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: iPad Clones        Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Chicago 58s
I'd buy an Ezy Touch over an iPad any day. It's effectively a tablet PC and probably can run any number of Oses (To varying degrees of success). Ubuntu netbook remix would go hand in hand with this.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: iPad Clones        Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Llamarama2010 wrote:
I'd buy an Ezy Touch over an iPad any day. It's effectively a tablet PC and probably can run any number of Oses (To varying degrees of success). Ubuntu netbook remix would go hand in hand with this.

The key there is "to varying degrees of success". I have yet to find an operating system originally meant for the keyboard and mouse that's successfully been transferred over to fit the touchscreen quite as well as the iPad, Android, or inevitably WebOS. Taking a traditional OS, tacking on a few touchscreen gestures, and calling it a Tablet PC OS just doesn't work.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: iPad Clones        Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows CE 2.11 Build 9015
That EZ touch does look nice.

But on the issue on a desktop OS on a tablet, I also have my doubts. I've been using a Wacom Bamboo tablet with my Windows 7 computer and while drawing does feel more natural, using it instead of a mouse is an issue of trial and error.

Why doesn't Microsoft follow Google's and (ugh) Apple's steps and release a tablet with Windows Phone 7 as the OS?

-Commanderraf

Help me get to my goal of 5 bitcoins! Donate to 166wvZUzA8j7Ltf3eZZK8KW1fCeiAPFVtr

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: iPad Clones        Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:41 am 
Donator

Commanderraf wrote:
Why doesn't Microsoft follow Google's and (ugh) Apple's steps and release a tablet with Windows Phone 7 as the OS?

'cause MS botch everything when it comes to mobiles. See: Danger hiptop and also KIN

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: iPad Clones        Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:08 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Commanderraf wrote:

-Commanderraf

1. It doesn't exist. Thats why :P
2. Microsoft forgot about mobile computing, they assumed that developers when necessary would fill in the gaps of their software. Developers didn't, instead they migrated over.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: iPad Clones        Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:28 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3 (2600 SP3)
iPad clones might have limited support!

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]