BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 23h, 39m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 1915MB of 3217MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Got some desk space?        Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:25 am 
Donator

Just came across this multiple monitor setup. Not that bad, if you ask me. Four 30" screens at 2560x1600 each; running off of two 7900 cards. I'd take it, that would be great for some heavy VMware stuff et al... :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:28 am 
FTP Access

The Wallpaper looks very nice

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: DUh        Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:59 am 
Donator

I don't know about you, but while that setup is nice, it is far from practical. There is NOTHING that is so important that it needs that much real estate to see EVERYTHING. Virtual Desktops are 30 years old. Use them. They're nice.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:16 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Gentoo
Why should he use a virtual desktop when he can afford to just buy a new one?

If you've got money you've gotta spend it :P

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: DUh        Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:13 pm 
Donator

RentedMule wrote:
I don't know about you, but while that setup is nice, it is far from practical. There is NOTHING that is so important that it needs that much real estate to see EVERYTHING.

I beg to differ. Web browsing is about the only thing I do with only a single desktop. I use Beryl with 4 virtual desktops, but the constant desktop switching is inconvenient. I'd love to put another screen to show a second desktop, but I don't have the physical desk space.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:33 am 
FTP Access

kichimi wrote:

And then you'll go bankrupt. Trust me, I thought spend spend spend was cool for a while, and now I'm in debt. As a 17 year old, that's bad. lol

But yeah, just wait for Mac OS X Leopard to come out in October for Spaces, or Microsoft provides their Virtual Desktops already as a PowerTool. Doesn't work for me though. :(

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:38 am 
Donator

Well, if you want virtual desktops in OS X pre-10.5, you can try VirtueDesktops. It's free and works as advertised and features some cool effects for those who need it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Gentoo
troyoda1990 wrote:
kichimi wrote:

And then you'll go bankrupt. Trust me, I thought spend spend spend was cool for a while, and now I'm in debt. As a 17 year old, that's bad. lol

Yeah i guess that my statement only really applies to drug dealers and people with so much money they built their house out of it.

@empireum - VirtueDesktops, Ill have to google that, ive really missed virtual desktops since i gave up trying to get linux to like my wireless card.

I don't have a desk! I sleep in the dining room because my parents are renovating our house. Thank god for laptops.

IIRC isnt there a way to make another pc or laptop serve as an extra monitor for a single computer?

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:38 pm 
Donator

Yeah, spending money if you have it is nice, but you'll have to draw a limit somewhere.

VirtueDesktops, yeah, just give it a try, it's a great free utility and has come in very handy for me, especially on my laptop where I am limited by an 1280x800 resolution.

Using a PC as a monitor for another, there's a way, either using x2x (IIRC) if you're using X11, or on Windows using MaxiVista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
I've found that big projects in Final Cut Pro and After Effects take up a lot of screen real estate fairly quickly.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]