BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 7h, 43m | CPU: 47% | MEM: 2241MB of 3875MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Trying to make my laptop quiet        Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:23 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hello all,

This evening (well morning :) ) I got sick of the constant whirr of the internal fan on my laptop that was on all the time. I decided to disconnect it because the second fan just comes on when needed. Now you would think this would be fine, after all the other fan is the CPU fan.

I did this and I tried it out for a few hours. After an hour the bottom of the laptop was just warm, not hot, but warm, as you would expect. I got bored and decided to look on youtube at some videos. After just 10 minutes of videos the CPU fan was already running in turbo mode (the second of its two modes) which is rare to hear under normal conditions. This meant the heat was really building up inside. It took about 30 seconds to get rid of the excess heat and switch off after stopping the video and lowering the CPU usage. In the end I reconnected the other internal fan and put it back to normal.

The moral of the story? If your laptop is noisy, tough luck. The fan(s) it has inside it are required, otherwise they wouldn't be there. You can try it, but you risk overheating the processor and causing irriversible damage. I tried it because I know my processor has overheating protection. Yours may not.

Comments, questions?

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:49 pm 
FTP Access

If your laptop has a little room inside, like my old one, you could try soundproofing. Or you could just try an aftermarket cooler. Can't really recommend anything myself, as I've only ever had a laptop once

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:48 am 
FTP Access

Or you could just replace the knackered fan! Mind you, how quiet the fan was when it was new is difficult to determine! (it was always quieter in your mind - right?).
I've repaired hundreds (maybe thousands) of laptops over time and the common fault is dead fans (or the aftermath from a dead fan!). They didn't have throttle control on the very early Compaq luggables like todays equivalents - but it still rings true that you really do need all the factory cooling!! It's there for a reason!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:50 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
The fan isnt knackered, its just too noisy for my liking.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:06 am 
FTP Access

I did the same with my HP Pavilion 4535. Roughly 10 years old, I was cleaning out the years of dust inside the fans the other week. To my luck, the fans ran more efficiently, but twice as loud as before. Thus, I unplugged the motherboard's fan, and it's as quiet as my PowerBook now.

Although it's not recommended, I don't care. I hate noise. :)

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]