BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 12h, 47m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 2487MB of 5771MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 PostPost subject: April 2007 Desktops        Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:22 am 
Donator

March is over, April has begun, and April Fool's Day is over, too! :D So please post genuine screenshots of your current desktops. I'll start, but there's nothing fancy on them. I like it simple but working.

Mac OS X 10.4.9 on my PPC Mac:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
New month, new install

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:56 pm 
FTP Access

Quote:
New month, new install

:lol:

Simple and clean, the topic of april : Stargate ^^ - I love it and i had it on my Desktop. Also I like Dragonballz a must have in my sysdm.cpl ^^

On my desk my 2 files : what to do & who is reading my away message ( save also the ip of the reader haha ^^ )

Last edited by Rhade™ on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:51 pm 
Donator

@Rhade: Now where's your desktop? :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:29 pm 

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:19 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
@Rhade: Now where's your desktop? :D

damn I was tired at the morning so I forgot this :lol:

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:33 am 
Donator

Cool desktop, is that your real name in the System Properties? :)

PS: Got tired of answering the PMs? :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:38 am 
FTP Access

No, you know my Name is alex - but Tiberius Rhade is a good alternate name. 8)

damn sorry, I had much to do after weekend, we had an event :roll:

Im very happy - the Ultramon Author released ultramon 3.0 with windowblinds5 support - now the second taskbar looks like the first yeah 8)

edit : hey nice - you also have shiftedreality wallpapers ! I collect these very nice papers since 2 - 3 years - he has many natural very good wallpapers - but after I get the second TFT I use only widescreen wallpapers :?

a.t. Mac the Dock at the bottom is very useful - for long time I use Yz dock but its not Windows Implemented and if I was used fullscreen Aps ( or Gamez ) It would be shown in the Game if the cursor is on the wrong place :roll:

Last edited by Rhade™ on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:55 am 
Donator

Quote:
No, you know my Name is alex - but Tiberius Rhade is a good alternate name.

Oh, sorry, yes, I remember now. I guess I had a brain-dead moment... :oops: If I do a Windows install on one of my private machines, I never enter (and have never entered) my real name as well. Don't know why exactly, though... :wink:

Quote:
damn sorry, I had much to do after weekend, we had an event

No problem. :) I just asked.

Quote:
Im very happy - the Ultramon Author released ultramon 3.0 with windowblinds5 support - now the second taskbar looks like the first yeah

Yeah, I noticed that. Looks sleek!

Quote:
edit : hey nice - you also have shiftedreality wallpapers ! I collect these very nice papers since 2 - 3 years - he has many natural very good wallpapers - but after I get the second TFT I use only widescreen wallpapers

Yep, I like these stylish wallpapers, and there are some more sites where you can find good ones. I also have a widescreen TFT (1680×1050 pixels), so finding a good wallpaper in that size is sometimes not easy. But I am not so picky about that, if I can get a good wallpaper in 1280×1024 or better 1600×1200 pixels size too, I'll just take that and strecth it, that doesn't look too bad.

The nasty thing was, when I got this LCD at the beginning of 2003, it was the only one available on the market that displayed this wide 1680×1050 pixels (and it was very expensive). And it was impossible to find any wallpapers for this beauty. My solution was to use either 1600×1024 or 1920×1200 ones, which were easier to find. Now, these widescreen LCDs are almost common because the prices have come down...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
Heres mine for this month. Nothing special just windows xp running the xpize mod with the longhorn aero msstyle.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:51 am 
FTP Access

here is my pc desktop for the month :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:21 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
I realized that I hate luna very fast

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:33 pm 
FTP Access

@all :

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/
http://wallpapers.jurko.net/widescreen/

for the widescreen users :wink: - if you dont know it

Admin note: In future upload all images to the BA image uploader. Links go dead over time and this causes annoyance when people want to view them. I will leave the links this time but next time Ill remove them.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:37 pm 
Donator

Rhade™ wrote:
@all :

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/
http://wallpapers.jurko.net/widescreen/

for the widescreen users :wink: - if you dont know it

Admin note: In future upload all images to the BA image uploader. Links go dead over time and this causes annoyance when people want to view them. I will leave the links this time but next time Ill remove them.

Thanks! InterfaceLIFT is great!

@Andy: "We all" know the policy, but InterfaceLIFT, for example, has been around for years, so it's unlikely to go dead and secondly, it hosts thousands of images in a dozen sizes. How should we all mirror them?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:48 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I appear to have mis-interpreted. I thought these were links showing HIS desktop. But it remains all the same, images you post use the image uploader. Sites/files can disappear you know, even if they have been around for years. Of course I accept you're not going to post hundreds but if its one Im sure you can upload that.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:03 pm 
FTP Access

It's probably worth noting though that if we want to share a wallpaper we would really need to link to it, as the Image Uploader reduces the quality of images such that they are fine for viewing but are not really good enough for use as a wallpaper.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:04 pm 
FTP Access

I know the rulez, i only want to give this resource to all users in this forum who search for good wallpapers for widescreens or more then one display. Also I posted my Desktop with the osba img ul'er - why i should post them again with a link ¿

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:35 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
It's probably worth noting though that if we want to share a wallpaper we would really need to link to it, as the Image Uploader reduces the quality of images such that they are fine for viewing but are not really good enough for use as a wallpaper.

In the future I may modify the script so you can select the quality of the image once it gets to my server, eg, "icon", "screenshot", "wallpaper" and this will change the quality accordingly.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:17 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
In the future I may modify the script so you can select the quality of the image once it gets to my server, eg, "icon", "screenshot", "wallpaper" and this will change the quality accordingly.

....or just don't change the quality at all, that would make sense. Why compress a lossless PNG for instance? It's stupid.

I understand you have to recompress to make thumbnails, but why not have an option to leave the original intact, no modifications?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:43 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
Andy wrote:

....or just don't change the quality at all, that would make sense. Why compress a lossless PNG for instance? It's stupid.

I understand you have to recompress to make thumbnails, but why not have an option to leave the original intact, no modifications?

Because if someone uploads a 2.4MB picture from their digital camera, I have to serve a 2.4MB file to them. Why do that when a quality level of 50% will show no visible loss in quality but a reduction in filesize to about 300KB? Bandwidth is a huge issue these days, and thats the reason I compress. People hate waiting for large files to download, especially images.

I have a new server coming soon, which is hosted in a DC with a 100Mbps connection. Once I have it running BA will most likely be moved to there so these large files shouldnt be as much of a problem. But until then, Ill be compressing as much as possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:45 pm 
FTP Access

Presumably also you're limited in terms of storing large images - if none of the images were compressed you would have to store them on your machine for ever like that, and at several MB each the size could soon mount up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:48 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Presumably also you're limited in terms of storing large images - if none of the images were compressed you would have to store them on your machine for ever like that, and at several MB each the size could soon mount up.

Yes, thats one other reason. 75.7MB of images are currently in the imageupload folder. Thats not a whole lot because of the compression Ive used. Without it that size would be at least 10x larger.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Here's mine. Plain Plex.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:06 am 
Donator

Am I the only one using Linux here?
Mine:
And showing off Beryl's desktop cube:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:02 am 
Donator

@ppc_digger
No, you're not, I am using it too, but my OS X screenshots are prettier IMHO, that's why I only show these. My Linux desktops are rather boring I guess, but I have to agree that Beryl rocks. :)

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next