BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 22h, 27m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 6011MB of 10816MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Tight VNC College access        Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:10 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
Hello wondering If I could get some help, im trying to get my VNC viewer to work at my college, my router can be accessed as im using dynamic dns.

The main problem is that I need to add the "isa-server" to the HTTP Proxy option. The main problem is I don't know how to do this. This is ass all traffic goes though this then to the internet.

Any ideas anybody ?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:30 am 
FTP Access

I don't know how UK colleges assign IP, but I am also a college student at a community college.

Hmmm, interesting, ISA server is a mandatory in your college and have you tried searching for the computer name with ISA as their name under My Network Places? Here in USA, the tech support enables the ethernet jack then assign IP of 1xx.xxx.xxx.xxx along with hostnames like xxx-xx-12.xxxxxxxxxx.college.edu

I did VNC viewer in one of computer labs and it doesn't require proxy, although the public IP was assigned by the college's DNS

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
well to my knowledge everything must be configured to use the isa-server proxy. As i use portable firefox and this requires me to change the proxy settings. This is as the college records all data though its internet.

I think i just need to put this info in the address bar, in vnc but it just how i get this to work,

Im going to try with what u suggested, but If anyone else has any info on how to get this working please add to the topic,

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:10 am 
Donator

I use UltraVNC, this comes with a java viewer which can be used with a web browser and this works at my college

The Number One HTTP Server On The Internet

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
ill try it with that, the main problem is that i think traffic is open on port 80 http , and ftp -21. As I can connect to the Beta Archive Server, So i think i might be able to make use of that port, if possible, ill have a go. And also with the Java Viewer, i tried with tight vnc java viewer with no luck.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:42 am 
Donator

It could be possible that your college block the use of java on their ISA server

The Number One HTTP Server On The Internet

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:13 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
well i herd i could use a program called Putty, something about it can change the data to be sent over the https port instead of 5900, and alsop though the proxy server (ISA).

anyway im going to try that, but it a long drawn out method.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:42 pm 
Donator

swellhead wrote:
well i herd i could use a program called Putty, something about it can change the data to be sent over the https port instead of 5900, and alsop though the proxy server (ISA).

anyway im going to try that, but it a long drawn out method.

I did just that once. As far as the ISA server is concerned, SSH looks just like HTTPS. You can tunnel just about anything on top of it. All you need is an SSH server on the other end.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:35 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
thanks for that, would this involve me configurationing shh @ each end, that being server end and viewer?.

i have an app, i think will do that job,

http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/enhanced_tightvnc_viewer.html

What do you think, will this do that job ?

thanks again for the info

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:46 am 
Donator

It would automate the client end, but you'll still need an SSH server. I'd recommend OpenSSH. Here is a project which provides Windows binaries.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]