BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 19h, 48m | CPU: 55% | MEM: 2275MB of 3975MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: WGA and Windows Update conflicts....        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win2000
First, a snapshot taken by my cellphone:Image

It's a bit blurred but should be able to recognize the icons....

And the story:

I turned on one of my friends' computer's screen to check his TCP/IP settings while he's not in front of his computer.
And while checking I found that his Windows XP was been warned : "Not a legal copy. You may not be able to receive further updates from Microsoft."
And the 2nd icon from the right side is the notify icon...

But look carefully...What's the 1st icon from the left side?
The Windows Update reminder saying "You have 16 updates avaliable to install now!" :lol:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:55 am 
Donator

:lol: :lol: That's Microsoft...

I see he's also using a Chinese Windows XP... Traditional or Simplified?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:14 am 
FTP Access

I think if you fail WGA you can still use Automatic Updates, but not MU/WU, which would be why both icons are showing. You should get him to uninstall WGA Notifications, as you get annoying messages and that stupid icon otherwise.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:15 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Tell him NOT to reboot until he backs up all data he wants to keep. M$ have devised a way of locking up your machine if its found to be pirated. Also do NOT install the updates.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:24 am 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
M$ have devised a way of locking up your machine if its found to be pirated. Also do NOT install the updates.

I've never heard of that - the only thing I'm aware of is WGA Notifications, which gives you messages on logon and every hour or something like that, and puts that icon in the system tray (the blue star shows that he's already installed the Notifications update).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:30 am 
Donator

The only thing I've managed to come up with is this, maybe forcing users in the future to always have the latest WGA up and running...

http://www.digg.com/software/Windows_Genuine_Advantage_could_lock_pirated_broken_copies_of_Windows!
http://www.osnews.com/story.php/15028/WGA-Could-Lock-Pirated-Copies-of-Windows/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:32 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
It happened to my friend at his work who uses pirated windows. They have to move to real versions now because of it.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:40 am 
Donator

The fact that makes me angry about WGA is that I've had it fail and do its "This copy of Windows is not genuine" stuff on my legally bought, licensed and activated OEM copy of XP... And to top that, it said "OK" on one of my VLK copies... That is just ridicolous.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:49 am 
FTP Access

Best thing is to just not install any updates called "WGA Notifications" - they're completely unnecessary, as all they do is tell you whether your Windows is genuine or not (which most likely you already know). It also means your PC is talking to MS all the time behind your back. It's quite easy to avoid this update, even if you use Automatic Updates, as you have to agree to a EULA before this one can be installed. Of course, if you have Vista then all this stuff is built right in to the OS and you can't get rid of it.

Contrary to the FUD spread by a lot of anti-MS fanboys, WGA Notifications is NOT the same as the WGA Validation Tool - the WGA Validation Tool is compulsory for using MU/WU and is perfectly safe to install (the only times it talks to MS is when you run MU/WU, and all that happens if you fail is that you can't use the updating services). WGA Notifications is the one to avoid, as that is the one that alows it to talk to MS all the time and gives you annoying messages all over the place, and there are NO disadvantages to avoiding it (ie you can still update, install IE7 etc).

As for it rejecting your OEM licence, if you look at the EULA for WGA Notifications (at least the earlier versions) it said it was "pre-release software", yet they were pushing this at everyone as a "Critical" update! Yep, that's BETA (ie buggy) software as a Critical update!

At least if you do happen to install WGA Notifications by mistake, it's not difficult to remove it again.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win2000
empireum wrote:
I see he's also using a Chinese Windows XP... Traditional or Simplified?

Traditional. As most people do in Taiwan...
I use Simplified one btw...

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
You should get him to uninstall WGA Notifications, as you get annoying messages and that stupid icon otherwise.

hmm how to?
I think I accidently had WGA installed on my VLK version of XP Pro too...Although it didn't prompt me with "This copy of Windows is not genuine."

Andy wrote:
Tell him NOT to reboot until he backs up all data he wants to keep. M$ have devised a way of locking up your machine if its found to be pirated. Also do NOT install the updates.

hmm...That WGA problem had exist on his computer for quite a long time (at least should be start on October 2006)... :?
Besides that he seems didn't have other problems yet.

empireum wrote:
The fact that makes me angry about WGA is that I've had it fail and do its "This copy of Windows is not genuine" stuff on my legally bought, licensed and activated OEM copy of XP...

You should take a screenshot of it as well (and must let people see that it IS an OEM version...That'll be pretty ironic.)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:19 pm 
FTP Access

tpemail wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
You should get him to uninstall WGA Notifications, as you get annoying messages and that stupid icon otherwise.

hmm how to?
I think I accidently had WGA installed on my VLK version of XP Pro too...Although it didn't prompt me with "This copy of Windows is not genuine."

There's quite a lot of ways to get rid of it - try here for a list of methods that might work (try the first one in the list first, as that looks as though it should work). Be sure to not reinstall the "update" though as once you've removed it they will offer it to you again via Automatic Updates or Microsoft Update. Best thing is to find a VLK that passes WGA as then you can run MU, deselect the update and tick the box for it to not be offered again (of course if you do that then it doesn't matter if Notifications is installed as it shouldn't bother you, but I prefer not to have it anyway as there's no benefits to having it and lots of potential drawbacks).

tpemail wrote:
empireum wrote:
The fact that makes me angry about WGA is that I've had it fail and do its "This copy of Windows is not genuine" stuff on my legally bought, licensed and activated OEM copy of XP...

You should take a screenshot of it as well (and must let people see that it IS an OEM version...That'll be pretty ironic.)

I've heard of this happening quite a bit with OEM copies - not sure why it does though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:36 pm 
FTP Access

They stopped allowing activation for OEM serials a long time ago. Thing is, I have an OEM serial + a cracked winlogon, and every WGA check passes for me. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:02 pm 
FTP Access

Don't you have to ring them up now if you need to reactivate an OEM key? If you're using the OEM key on the machine it came with, you shouldn't need the cracked Winlogon (and if you're not, you'd be much better off with a non-cracked VLK ;)). If you do use a crack, make sure you don't install WGA Notifications, as it will cause a BSoD on startup if you do (at least for some of the cracks). Come to think of it, is that possibily what you were thinking of earlier in the thread where MS could lock up a pirated copy? It only happens with cracked copies though, and I've never really understood why anyone would use a cracked copy of XP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:47 pm 
Donator

Thing is, I bought the OEM version separately, it didn't come with a PC (this is allowed at least in Germany, don't know the situation in other countries). I really don't want to be bothered by any of this WGA stuff telling me this version is illegal when it's not – I activated it using the key that came with it – . But well, all this nonsense vanished after a reinstall and this version activates and runs just fine. Strange thing is I have activated it way more than 3 times now, on significantly different machines and it has never given me any problems. WGA being the exception...

Top  Profile