BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 19h, 48m | CPU: 55% | MEM: 2275MB of 3975MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules


Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Any way to get Inspiron 5100 to do Win98SE?        Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:13 am 
Reply with quote
Hey guys!

I managed to install Win98SE on my Dell Inspiron 5100, and it works.... Sort of... I managed to get the Intel motherboard drivers and I used the Omega Radeon drivers for video, that's all good. I was even able to make the audio work via the Win2000 WDM drivers for the Sigmatel, but I'm left without any optical drive support and there seems to be some serious issues with the IDE connectors to the DVD drive and the hard drive.

I did some searching over on Dell's forums and they say its not supported at all, even though one guy posted claiming he'd managed the trick before he updated his Bios. I attempted to drop back to an earlier bios and see... BIG MISTAKE! I currently use a Targus power adapter and under the earlier Bios the laptop doesn't support any power adapter but the OEM one. Luckily I managed to find the command to force the Bios to update back to the latest version--something it had been refusing to do at first because it required external power to perform the update! Talk about a hair raising experience!

Any way, I'd really like to be able to run Win9x on this laptop--does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how I could proceed from here?

--iWindoze


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:24 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:14 pm

Posts
112

Location
Westbalkanian Computing Industry Wastelands
The only questionable thing is: Why make that sense you run an old, unsupported operating system on a P4 notebook? On this category it's not worth to run Win98se as it the hw can't perform it's best on this machine, and even instability issues can occour.
So it's worth to install W98SE _only_ if you frequently use special software or hardware that has no NT support.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:46 am 
Reply with quote
Grisa wrote:
The only questionable thing is: Why make that sense you run an old, unsupported operating system on a P4 notebook? On this category it's not worth to run Win98se as it the hw can't perform it's best on this machine, and even instability issues can occour.
So it's worth to install W98SE _only_ if you frequently use special software or hardware that has no NT support.


Simple! I wish to run the leanest possible Windows on my Inspiron, seeing as how the best system to rip the IEShell* from is and remains Windows 98SE I'd like to run Windows 98SE. As for the HW performance and stability issues... well that's why I'm posting asking for workarounds, isn't? I assume with working drivers I'll be able to get the hardware working properly.

Besides, what use is it to have all these custom OSes and betas if we never try to actually use them on our hardware?

--iWindoze

*Yes I am aware of XPLite and the excellent work done by Nuhi and TommyP, I just find myself more able to do what I want using a 98SE base system.


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:23 am 
Reply with quote
Would it be worthwhile if you tried to run the unofficial service pack 2.1 on it, I don't know if any of the updates are applicable to what you are going through with the machine but you could try it anyway.
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/U ... -9065.html
or read about the fixes here http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:23 pm 
Reply with quote
puddlejumper wrote:
Would it be worthwhile if you tried to run the unofficial service pack 2.1 on it, I don't know if any of the updates are applicable to what you are going through with the machine but you could try it anyway.
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/U ... -9065.html
or read about the fixes here http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html


I used that as well as the unofficial Autopatcher for Win98SE, which brought me no joy.... :cry:

Actually what I did (and always do in my Win98SE installs these days) is extract the SP.cab from the Unofficial Service Pack and copy them to the C:/Windows/Options/Cabs directory, which will force the installer to copy over any newer files found instead of using the older files found in the Win9x setup files. It rarely causes problems and usually eliminates most of the updates on MS Update... At least it did when Microsoft was still actively supporting that OS.

--iWindoze


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:49 pm 
Reply with quote
iWindoze wrote:
Quote:
but I'm left without any optical drive support and there seems to be some serious issues with the IDE connectors to the DVD drive and the hard drive.


When it comes down to IDE drive support, is this maybe a chipset related problem? I don't know if this download would resolve that http://ftp.us.dell.com/chipset/R50830.EXE on the webpage here http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R50830&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=60098
in the Release Title it does state MultiOS.

I also found this about latest win98 updates on a well known forum
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46581
and
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=84886
and some microcode updates for Intel processors.
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=44388


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:01 pm 
Reply with quote
puddlejumper wrote:
iWindoze wrote:
Quote:
but I'm left without any optical drive support and there seems to be some serious issues with the IDE connectors to the DVD drive and the hard drive.


When it comes down to IDE drive support, is this maybe a chipset related problem? I don't know if this download would resolve that http://ftp.us.dell.com/chipset/R50830.EXE on the webpage here http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R50830&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=60098
in the Release Title it does state MultiOS.

I also found this about latest win98 updates on a well known forum
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46581
and
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=84886
and some microcode updates for Intel processors.
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=44388


Thanks, but I've tried all those already unfortunately and they do not fix the problem. I guess I'll just have to be happy with Win2000/WinXP until I manage to get Linux or something more alt to work better with my hardware. Thanks again anyway!

--iWindoze


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:26 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:41 am

Posts
140

Location
New York
Windows 2000 is your best bet and you might want to try DamnSmallLinux.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:25 pm 
Reply with quote
rws7 wrote:
Windows 2000 is your best bet and you might want to try DamnSmallLinux.


Linux isn't an option until I can figure out how to support my DWL-650 RevP WiFi card.

(Yeah, I know I should buy a new card, I should get a USB 2.0 WiFi card, etc etc... It's always amusing to see how free people are when it comes to other people's money, isn't it?)

The DWL-650 ain't great, but it works and that's all I care about for the moment. That said I am hoping to figure out a way to get better WiFi support with a project I've been thinking about.

--iWindoze


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS