BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 55d, 8h, 43m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 5731MB of 10884MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:26 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
So many people have problems with laptop battery life, and I just found this on El Reg, so I thought I'd share it with you. I'm currently having issues with a laptop of my own and I'm attempting a battery re-calibration. I'll let you know how I get on. In the mean time, here is the article:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/05/07 ... intenance/

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:51 pm 
FTP Access

Thanks for the article.

My Macbook Pro has 111 cycles on it and it still retains 86% of its original capacity. This is after having it for about 18 months, so I don't consider that bad at all.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:48 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Win 10 64-bit
Andy wrote:
So many people have problems with laptop battery life, and I just found this on El Reg, so I thought I'd share it with you. I'm currently having issues with a laptop of my own and I'm attempting a battery re-calibration. I'll let you know how I get on. In the mean time, here is the article:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/05/07 ... intenance/

This'll be great for my mum's laptop!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:14 pm 
Donator

Lol i accidentally calibrated my battery by running OSX86 without battery-saving features.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:59 pm 
Nice article, I'm always trying to make sure my laptop is well maintained. This article from Microsoft is useful in explaining how to keep your computer up to speed - microsoft.com/atwork/getstarted/speed.mspx

Matthew
HP laptops

Admin edit: Link removed. Please don't spam or your account will be removed.

PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:46 pm 

Favourite OS
Dancing Banana
My laptop battery gets a lot of mistreatment but it has only recently started to drain faster. I heard shaking the battery can help :idea: .. but I am not so sure it will restore full working order :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:02 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
monkey56657 wrote:
My laptop battery gets a lot of mistreatment but it has only recently started to drain faster. I heard shaking the battery can help :idea: .. but I am not so sure it will restore full working order :P

This only helps with lead acid batteries where the electrolyte stratifies and requires "mixing". It does not help other batteries. If your battery has recently started draining faster it could be nearing the end of its life, or it requires re-calibration.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:16 pm 

Favourite OS
Dancing Banana
I don't plan on getting a new one unless this drops below the hour life mark. Right now it's close to that though.. but I do use everything on "full whack" so no energy saving :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:18 pm 
FTP Access

1.5 years of my Thinkpad's battery cycling only 54 times causes it to only hold 67% of its charge capacity. That's with thresholds of start charging at 70% and stop at 85%.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:25 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
TheWahbinator wrote:
1.5 years of my Thinkpad's battery cycling only 54 times causes it to only hold 67% of its charge capacity. That's with thresholds of start charging at 70% and stop at 85%.

Cycling has little to do with life. Heat and current lifespan since manufacture have more to do with it. Heat kills laptop batteries pretty quick, as does keeping them charged all the time. That's why you should run them down once a week, or if you want to store it, run it down to 40% and keep it in the fridge (in a zip-lock bag and tissue to stop condensation).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:25 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Beta 3 build 1946
Nice article.
But remember, the loss of the capacity is inevitable, don't have any dream of its capacity would went back to 100%, even a just-came-from-the-manufactory product. All we are doing, for them to service for us longer.

Memory: 4 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800
HDD: WD3200AAJS + WD2003FYYS + WD6001FSYZ + WD1500HLFS
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620W Modular

Last edited by liliwinnt6 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:26 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Beta 3 build 1946
Oh, and... This article has been added to my bookmark.

Memory: 4 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800
HDD: WD3200AAJS + WD2003FYYS + WD6001FSYZ + WD1500HLFS
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620W Modular

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7\Slackware
Guess Andy's happy about that, though you shouldn't post in topics over 1month old.

But yes this topic is really helpful

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:33 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Some of this article says stuff that i was told doesnt apply to lithium ions. I have a PDA that I leave plugged into a charger almost 24/7. Its 4 years old and the battery still works like new. I was told that by keeping it on a charger vs using it off battery you are using less cycles and that makes the battery last longer. In this article they say that keeping a battery on AC ruins its capacity. Unless PDAs use a different way of charging then I beg to differ this article, and this PDA has a lithium ions battery.

I do agree with the temperature thing. Thats true for all batteries. Reactions between the anode and the cathode take place at higher rates based on the temperature and the battery will discharge faster when its hot, but when its cold it cant draw as much current. You notice that on car batteries if you live in the cold like I do.

I use my laptop as a desktop replacement most of the time, and the battery acts like a UPS. There are a few times a month that I will use the battery for a while and then recharge it when I go somewhere.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:57 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I have a PDA whose battery lasts the same as when it was new, and it's 4 years old too, but I don't keep it on the adapter all the time. Li-ion batteries do die when left on the adapter, but not because they are left on the adapter. It's because of the heat. When a laptop runs on the adapter, it often runs in a higher power mode than on battery, so it produces more heat. Heat kills li-ion batteries quite quickly, so in the case of a PDA, it won't get hot, so it's battery will last significantly longer.

The hot and cold as you say applies to car batteries. What you said is 100% correct.

Your last statement is also true, with any laptop you should use it on battery once a week or so to make sure it keeps the battery in tip top condition. You might ask why when your battery meter displays 100%, but it's because any battery has a small amount of self-discharge. Over time, it will lose it's charge slowly. Even though the meter displays 100%, it might not be. This causes the battery to "un-calibrate" from the built in fuel meter, and show an incorrect charge capacity. That's where the re-calibration in the article comes in.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:42 am 
Donator

My new laptop came with an application to limit the charge on the battery. It only has two options: 80% and 50%. I wanted to set it to 40% but I figure 50% is better than a full charge.

Now I wonder if this is just Windows 7 it's limiting, or if there is something specific to this laptop that it works with. I wonder if there is some generic app that we can all run... and set to something other than 50/80 percent.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
i usually let my laptop discharge fully once a week ,but other times down to about 10-15%

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A nice laptop battery maintenance article        Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista RC1
Thanks andy it's good help considering my laptop battery dies so quick.

Top  Profile  WWW