BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 7h, 28m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5648MB of 10881MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:33 am 
FTP Access

I recently read an article on how to install an OS from a pen drive but when i tried it I failed since the "boot from" option did not appear so i was wondering of someone could properly explain to me how to install an OS from a pen drive(Ive resorted to doing so because my DVD drive has stopped working)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drve        Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:45 am 
FTP Access

1. PLZ PLZ write usb-stick instead of "pen-drive", I had to ask wikipedia what it was :D
2. Look http://translate.google.de/translate?pr ... l=de&tl=en, this explanation is very good (I did it myself that way), but sadly its in german, so I had to use google translator for you, but be assured the text is read- and understandable and if you have questions, aks me!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drve        Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:18 pm 
Donator

If its Vista your trying to install, you should be able to install it within the OS, from the hard drive.
I have no problem with the term "pen drive"...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drve        Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:07 pm 
FTP Access

How can i install it from the hard drive? please explain

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drve        Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:45 pm 
Donator

Vista: Just extract the files from the ISO and run the setup prog.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drve        Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:11 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
jabster wrote:
If its Vista your trying to install, you should be able to install it within the OS, from the hard drive.
I have no problem with the term "pen drive"...

Pen-drive
Thumb-drive
USB-stick
Flash-disk

Pretty much the same, look a like.
I know that somebody comes with an argument, but you know also, they all look a like and are most the same thing.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:40 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Jumpdrive anybody? :D
--=-=-=====

Not all jumpdrives are fast enough to be used for booting an OS.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:54 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I am having problems with my Vista/Windows 7 installs from USB drives...my Autounatend.xml will not get picked up, any idea as to why?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:20 am 
FTP Access

I have tried a lot of methods and my usb stick just doesnt show up
It gets detected in the BIOS detection but it doesnt give me the option to install the OS from it
I have set the boot priority to the removable disk still it does not work

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:25 am 
Donator

Like I've said several times over two threads, extract the ISO to your hard drive, run setup, select custom install and select a partition. It will do a clean install, with the exception of a Windows.old folder on your C: drive that contains all the files from the previously installed OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:29 am 
FTP Access

The only problem with that is that i am trying to install a 64 bit OS from a 32 bit OS and the setup cannot be run from windows

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:33 am 
Donator

Aah, sorry, didn't realize, just tried running a x64 setup.exe on this x32 OS and it spat out the rudest error message.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:36 am 
FTP Access

I know so is there any other way or will i have to wait till i get a new DVD writer

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:11 pm 
FTP Access

Have you tried the tool mentioned in the link I posted earlier? Here is a guide in english for the programm, try it, it worked for me!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:49 pm 
FTP Access

Zud0-yes i have already tried the tool mentioned above and thar method still does not work for me maybe its a problem with my usb drive
J.Byrne-Ok i tried installing it from using the method you suggested above it does work but it has resulted in a very unstable install of windows 7-build 7000.It keeps freezing even while doing minor tasks such as playing solitaire and it finally gave up today after 2 days of the install and corrupted my entire disk

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:27 am 
FTP Access

I don't have the guide off hand, however, a U3 flash drive is an EXCELLENT ISO tool.

Since the U3 platform has both removable storage and emulates a virtual CD drive, you can easily replace the U3 partition with an ISO image of your choice "burned" into the U3 partition... making it easy to boot from since the machine will believe it's a USB CD-ROM drive.

Makes it easy to fix a machine... 'burn' the ISO to the virtual CD drive, copy drivers and a backup to the flash on the stick... boot from the stick's virtual CD... done.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:28 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
One that isn't broken
Not all bios's support boot from usb. Most new bios's should. you can try flashing your bios with the latest update or go to your local computer shop and see how much a second hand dvd drive will cost you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
bob_george33 wrote:
you can try flashing your bios with the latest update

I would advise for computer users that cannot handle the system BIOS (just configuring things) you should NOT flash you're BIOS you're self.

If it goes wrong you can throw that motherboard in the garbage.

If the computer is still under warranty bring the PC back to the shop where you got it and let if flash there, if it goes wrong while flashing, it's there fault and not you'res.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7
In my experience a BIOS will only boot a USB drive if it's formatted FAT 16 LBA, and since FAT 16 is only 2GB then it's unlikely Vista will fit. Possibly multiple USB sticks?
A friend of mine posted a good tutorial about installing XP from a USB pen and it definitely works, but could not get it to work with FAT32 :(
Maybe you could use some of the info here:
http://www.sentire.co.uk/software/software-tutorials/microsoft/windows-xp/installing-windows-xp-from-a-usb-pen.html

Last edited by IainK on Thu May 21, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:28 pm 
Donator

You DO NOT WANT Vista on a usb stick. it took me long enough to get XP running at good speeds... and fit.

I have an ISO of Windows XP Performace edition sp3 USB on my ftp (tell me if anyone finds interest, ill pm em my FTP details, it is not the fastest thing in the world). It installs in about 500mb and works on USB devices obviously (and my favorite part no key and full activation including updates).

If you install XP on a USB stick remove the pagefile from it disable indexing and logging then put explorer.exe and your programs on a second drive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Read, this is not about installing an OS to a flash drive, but from a flash drive ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:57 am 
Donator

I was trying to help IainK with:

IainK wrote:
A friend of mine posted a good tutorial about installing XP on a USB pen and it definitely works, but could not get it to work with FAT32 :(

But you are right, the topic is about installing FROM them :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7
Oh dear me, the link I posted was actually for installing from a USB pen but somewhere along the line my brain decided to post the entire opposite! :oops: I will edit that prior post.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install OS from Pen Drive        Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:04 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE
Just last week I used a 2GB stick formatted with FAT32 (I think) to install WinXP SP3.
It worked well.
I used WinToFlash.
All I had to do was Expand the Windows XP SP3 ISO (Using WinRar) and Point WinToFlash to that folder.
It reformatted the usb stick. So I am guessing it put the right formatting, since it booted.

There were two problems:
1) The boot.ini was all wrong after the install, I had to make adjustments after the install.
Maybe putting the USB stick into the computer shifts the drive assignments for windows.
2) I tried some minor ISO customizations, like put in the serial number and user name ahead of time.
That made the installation not pass the very first boot partition selection screen.
So don't mess w/ the image.
Use nLite for customizing the image.

Top  Profile