BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 16h, 15m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 2102MB of 3649MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [TUT] How to install Windows XP from a pendrive        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:59 pm 
Hi, I'm new in this forum and this is my first post.

In this tutorial I'm going to show you how to install Windows XP from a pendrive.

And why do I want this?

For example, to install Windows XP on a PC without any CD Reader or install XP on an EEPC.

Well, let's get started!

Things we need:

- 1 GB pendrive or more.

- USB_PREP8.zip
http://www.2shared.com/file/2581432/a65 ... prep8.html

- PeToUSB.zip
http://www.2shared.com/file/2581436/a13 ... _3007.html

- Bootsect.zip
http://www.2shared.com/file/2585881/5ad ... tsect.html

Unzip the file Bootsect.zip
Unzip the files USB_prep8.zip y PeToUSB.zip too.
Then copy the unique executable file on the folder PeToUSB in the same folder where USB_prep8 was uncompressed.
In the USB_prep8 folder open the file usb_prep8.cmd

You'll get a window like this:

Press any key to continue like it says.

Then you'll get a new window:

All the parametres are pre-configured, then you'll have only to press Start.

When the format proccess finishes, don't close this window, let it opened (or minimize it if you wish), and open a new command prompt (cmd).

In this new cmd window, go to the folder where you uncompressed Bootsect.zip. Use the command "cd" to get to that folder.

Now type "bootsect.exe /nt52 K:" (without " and ") where K: is the letter assigned to the USB pendrive drive. In this proccess the start sector will be created on the pendrive to make the PC able to start from it.

NOTE: When you are executing the bootsect.exe you mustn't have any window opened showing the content of the pendrive, the write process could fail, blocking the pendrive and writing wrongly the start sector.

If everything went well, you should get the message: "Bootcode was successfully updated on
all targeted volumes."
Now you can close this window, but don't close the old one (usbprep8).

Then go back this window:

Then:

Press 1 and Enter. A browser will pop up so you can choose the directory where the XP installation CD files are located. You can choose directly the XP installation CD, which must be entered on a CD Drive.

Press 2 and choose a letter which ins't used in any of your PC drives. The program suggests T: for the temp disk (this temp drive will be deleted after the process finishes). You must have aprox. 1 GB free on your hard disk to create this cache space.

Press 3 to indicate the USB pendrive's letter.
Press 4 to start the proccess.

The program will ask for a confirmation to fomart the T: drive (temporal).
Press "Y" and then Enter.

Once the format finishes, press Enter again. Now the process to copy the XP installation files to the temp drive (T:) will start. When this step finishes, press Enter again.

Then you will see a dialogue message asking for a confirmation to start the process where the XP installation files will be copied into the USB pendrive.

Click on YES.

The process can take 15 mins (less or more). When it finishes, click YES 2 times. Now you can close the usbprep8 window.

That's all!

To install XP from the pendrive, plug it into the PC you want to install XP and then configure the BIOS to start from your USB pendrive. The XP installation program should come up.

Well, sorry for my bad english and I hope this tutorial helps you.

Cheers!

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
7600 x64
Cheers, i got my eee pc, just this very morning :P
So, great timing.
Ben

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:48 pm 
FTP Access

thanks man, my CD-drive was f'ed since yesterday, and I wanted to duelboot vista & XP. all is working now. Thanks!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:35 am 
Very helpful guide thanks for that. I was trying to make my usb stick bootable with windows xp but no luck. Anyway just in case that someone might need it I was using HP USB Disk Format Tool to make my usb stick bootable. It is also useful when you want to change from FAT32 to NTFS when copying large files.