BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 2h, 15m | CPU: 58% | MEM: 1887MB of 4155MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How to install CD Drivers in MS-DOS        Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
The guide is done, still need to finish the intro.

Introduction:

Materials Needed:
Code:
1. WinImage(http://winimage.com)
2. MS-DOS version 3, 4, or 5(You can get MS-DOS 5.00 from the MWCB)
3. Windows 98 SE Boot Disk(I will upload it if needed)
4. Virtual PC or VMWare of course

Instructions:
Code:
1. Open WinImage
2. Use WinImage to open up your MS-DOS virtual HD.
3. Extract Autoexec.bat and config.sys from it. Be sure to not accidentally double-click autoexec.bat
4. Use WinImage to open up the Windows 98 SE Boot Disk
5. Extract MSCDEX.exe, and oakcdrom.sys, from the boot disk
6. Inject MSCDEX.exe and oakcdrom.sys in C:\DOS in your MS-DOS virtual hard drive image
7. Rename config.sys into config.txt, then open it in notepad and put the following text in:

ihartmacz wrote:
DEVICE=C:\DOS\oakcdrom.sys /d:MSCD001

Code:
8. Rename config.txt back to config.sys
9. Use notepad to open autoexec.bat, then put the following text in:

ihartmacz, revised by me, Thlump wrote:
C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /d:MSCD001 /m:10 /l:d

Code:
10. After editing config.sys and autoexec.bat inject them back into the MS-DOS virtual HD.

That's it! Now if you did this all right you'll get the following as an example:

Credit goes to:
Code:
Me, for making this guide
ihartmacz, for providing most of the steps for this guide and providing the syntax for MSCDEX.exe and config.sys, via the third post of this topic

Last edited by Thlump on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:30 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Or with MS-DOS 6.22 just install the DOS Virtual Machine additions and your done.

CD drives doesn't work in Windows 1.x and 2.x anyway and in 3.x you can best install MS-DOS 6.22 with those DOS Virtual Machine Additions.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
For Windows 3.1x, I can use MS-DOS 7.10. Windows 3.0 with MME 1.0 crashes in MS-DOS 6.22 when I type in win /2. It sorta works in MS-DOS 5.00. And the CD with Multimedia Extensions comes with over 300MB of stuff, which is probably a lot back in 1991.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:40 am 
Is this what you're trying to do? Use a CD-ROM from inside DOS?

All you have to do is put the oakcdrom.sys and mscdex.exe file in the DOS driectory (or any other path.

There is no need for renaming anything.

Config.sys
Code:
DEVICE=C:\DOS\oakcdrom.sys /d:idecd001

Autoexec.bat
Code:
MSCDEX /d:idecd001 /m:10 /l:d

/m = number of buffers, the more buffers you have; the faster - if you can use that much ram

/d: this specifies the device name

/l: drive letter

--- keep in mind that oakcdrom.sys does not work for all CD-ROM drives, just the vast majority of them.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:08 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
:| Wow, you just completed the remainder of my guide. I shall now bow down to you and give you credit because there is no other choice for me. If I try to type anything in my guide, it will be the same as what you provide and that will be plagiarism. NOTE: For the device name I will put in MSCD001 instead of IDECD001 because it is a common name for CD devices.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:08 am 
That's fine with me.

my HP Windows 98 recovery CD used idecd001 as device names, that's where I learned about device drivers in DOS.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:29 am 
Donator

All you have to do is make a 98SE boot disk and then edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys files and copy the entries for the driver into your autoexec.bat and config.sys, then copy the relevant files. Those entries are basically what ihartmacz put up here. You can get an old bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:17 am 
FTP Access

(with quake announcer voice) D-D-D-DOUBLE POST!!!

But seriously, any copy of DOS you have should come with CD support (if you intend to use it, that is, instead of just collecting it). Go to this page and look at the following:
Quote:
The Standard MS-DOS 7.10 Boot Disk (This is a basic DOS boot disk, with CD and LFN support) Hot!

My Super MS-DOS 7.10 Boot Disk (Build: 2004.2.14) Updated!
Note: The above Super MS-DOS 7.10 Boot Disk is a customized DOS boot disk that has many more features than standard DOS boot disks. Therefore, it also supports NTFS/USB drives, mouse, and many more.

My Mini-Windows 3.11 Boot Disk (Build: 2004.1.26) Updated!
Using MS-DOS 7.10 Kernel + Windows 3.11 GUI. In a single floppy disk!!
Note: It fully supports FAT32/LBA/large hard disks, Long File Names (LFN), CD-ROM, DOS/WIN16 programs, etc.

And of course there are also installation discs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:13 am 
Donator

Every copy of DOS doesn't come with CD drivers. In fact, most don't because the drives ran off of their own CD controller cards, sometimes built into sound cards. They all had different drivers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:43 pm 
FTP Access

QuiescentWonder wrote:
Every copy of DOS doesn't come with CD drivers. In fact, most don't because the drives ran off of their own CD controller cards, sometimes built into sound cards. They all had different drivers.

As I said, any copy of DOS you have should come with CD support (if you intend to use it, that is, instead of just collecting it). If you're collecting a copy then you don't care about CD support, if you're actually using a copy of DOS then you should have one that has basics like CD support.

Reading, it gets you places.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:10 pm 
FTP Access

The recovery program on the disc on my laptop from 2005 is MS-DOS based, and when it is booting from the disc, it says something about a CD-ROM drive provided by Oak technolgies.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:46 pm 
Donator

expert01 wrote:
QuiescentWonder wrote:

As I said, any copy of DOS you have should come with CD support (if you intend to use it, that is, instead of just collecting it). If you're collecting a copy then you don't care about CD support, if you're actually using a copy of DOS then you should have one that has basics like CD support.

Reading, it gets you places.

What if he happens to have DOS 6.22? Go ahead, install that off the original disks and see if it has CD support.

ANY copy of DOS does not come with CD support OOB. Everyone one here isn't necessarily going to be using DOS from a boot disk from Windows.

Last edited by QuiescentWonder on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:02 pm 
FTP Access

So am I really. DOS is around 2 decades at least older than any Windows OS.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:54 pm 
Donator

Well, anyway, I went and installed the last full release of DOS, which would be 6.22. Any of the newer ones are missing most of the utilities and never saw a Retail release as they just came with Windows 95 up to ME. So I installed it and booted up just to make sure that I wasn't crazy, and of course it didn't have any CD drivers installed. Then I went ahead an and checked to see if I could find a CD driver that maybe just needed to manually be configured, and surprise again, I couldn't find one.

Besides, it's much easier to get a fully functional retail release of DOS that comes with all the utilities and add in LFN, FAT32, CD, etc. than it is to get a copy of DOS 7 and try to get all the old utilities to work in that.

I've always just used the Oak drivers that come with 98SE in 6.22 and they work fine. There are LFN and FAT32 drivers out there. I've never really had to deal with large hard disk support because... honestly most DOS apps, even games, don't take up that much space.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
I believe the last full release is MS-DOS 7.10. It's a free release created in 1999. Yes it has CD Drivers by default, and a bunch of add-ons.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:19 am 
Donator

No, it just came with Windows. The last full release with all the utilities was 6.22. 7.x and 8.x were never released other than with Windows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Thlump wrote:
I believe the last full release is MS-DOS 7.10. It's a free release created in 1999. Yes it has CD Drivers by default, and a bunch of add-ons.

Thats just an hacked version, extracted from Windows.
There was also (possibly this one) made by people from China, including an Minimalistic Windows 98 runs on top of it.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
When I set up cd drivers in dos i just do this:

config.sys:
Code:
A:\cddriver.sys /D:MSCD001

(replacing A with the drive letter and MSCD001 with the name i want)

autoexec.bat:
Code:
A:\mscdex.exe /D:MSCD001

(you dont need the /B or /L unless you want it to be something other than the next letter up)

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:00 pm 
Donator

Why would you do that? It just runs on the drive DOS is booting from if you don't put anything in front of it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to install CD Drivers in MS-DOS        Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WHISTLER 2296,2419
Well,I use the DOS 6.22 boot disk from [url]allbootdisks.com[/url],and it contains CD drivers!

Top  Profile