BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 5h, 0m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 2065MB of 4153MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Did this make Windows Faster
Yes 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
No 71%  71%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 17
 PostPost subject: How to make Windows XP Fast        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:14 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
Step One: Go and get all the updates EXCEPT Windows Genuine Advantage

Step Two: Go into Add and Remove Programs and uninstall program you don't need (eg expired trials)
Step Three: Install CCleaner

Step Four: Get Windows Media Player Classic and K-Lite Mega Codec Pack

Step Five: Install Ashampoo Startup Tuner and register it (get a email account for that as it will send email ads, gawab.com is a good email service)

Step Five: Disable Startup Software except for Anti Virus and video driver

Step Six: Run CCleaner

Step Seven: Make a folder called My Desktop (or whatever you want to call it) and place all but the shortcuts for programs you use often in it.

Step Eight (Optional): If you know what your doing then disable some services in Ashampoo

You should notice after a restart that Windows XP is faster

To find the software google it and you should find it

Run CCleaner every two to three weeks

Last edited by mewrox99 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Give your XP a real horsekick (also works for LH4074)        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:18 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Hi,

Have a look at this post i wrote here : http://www.r2x2.com/blog/?p=57

Its a reg. fix that realy do some magic.

My best advice, use "MicroXP" or take WinXP-Legacy and kill ALL services that you dont need.

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:22 am 
Donator

Instead of installing some Ashampoo peice of crap, why not simply use msconfig?
Open up a runbox, type msconfig, and DON'T USE ASHAMPOO SOFTWARE!!!!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: ...        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Ya, i would agree there.. use "msconfig" and "services.msc"

When disabling services, it can be a good idea to check dependency first, eg. on my "tuned" xp installation, i have 7 services running, the machine uses 83mb ram after boot with SP3

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:32 am 
Donator

I'd also reccomend browsing through gpedit.msc, theres not much in there you can disable to increase speed, but your bound to find a setting that will make life easier.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:45 am 
Donator

use nLite to remove useless components

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: .. or just use MicroXP        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
i just tested latest version of MicroXP (not the "old" version from our ftp), around 230mb when installed and use about 35+ mb ram.. prety nice

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:55 am 
Donator

I would say run Ccleaner and Disk Cleanup on a daily basis, rather than every few weeks.
For Vista in particular, I leave the Thumbnail cache option in Ccleaner unchecked, otherwise you'll burn up extra memory constantly creating new thumbnails.
And the most important one that hasn't been mentioned yet would be to defrag at minimum once per week.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:21 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Buy more RAM.
Then you wont need to disable all the services, it can give you problem when using/installing an program.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:10 pm 
FTP Access

What I would do is: Slipstream SP3 into the XP share, then use nLite to remove some things I don't require, eg: Messenger, all games except pinball, which is listed seperately from the games category. I would have it so that the following services are disabled by default: System Restore, (I am careful when changing settings and installing things), and error reporting. Then, I would have it patch uxtheme.dll, disable SFC, and setup an unattended install so I don't have to enter info like the product key.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How to make Windows XP Fast        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:37 pm 
Donator

mewrox99 wrote:

Without Genuine Advantage you can't get all of the updates...

Quote:
Step Four: Get Windows Media Player and K-Lite Mega Codec Pack

How exactly is this supposed to speed up someones computer?

Quote:
Step Five: Install Ashampoo Startup Tuner and register it (get a email account for that as it will send email ads, gawab.com is a good email service)

I'll agree with everyone else, why not just use tools that come with Windows?

Quote:
What I would do is: Slipstream SP3 into the XP share, then use nLite to remove some things I don't require, eg: Messenger, all games except pinball, which is listed seperately from the games category. I would have it so that the following services are disabled by default: System Restore, (I am careful when changing settings and installing things), and error reporting. Then, I would have it patch uxtheme.dll, disable SFC, and setup an unattended install so I don't have to enter info like the product key.

I usually do something similar. Using nLite to disable services is great, but to actually remove them is stupid unless you're installing Windows on a machine that you never want to update or change and it has one specific purpose. Otherwise don't actually remove any services or components, just shut them off. Obviously removing the games and Windows Messenger isn't going to hurt anything, but when you start pulling things out, other things get broken in the process, as well as Windows/Microsoft Update breaks depending on what you remove.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to make Windows XP Fast        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:15 pm 
FTP Access

QuiescentWonder wrote:
mewrox99 wrote:

Without Genuine Advantage you can't get all of the updates...

He probably means WGA Notifications, which is the one that puts an icon in your tray and messages when you log on if it thinks it's not legit, which is totally optional. The WGA ActiveX plugin is the one you need for running Windows Update (on XP, it's integrated on Vista), and it just validates when you go to Windows Update and doesn't do anything except display a page in the browser telling you it is not legit instead of offering you the updates.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:33 pm 
Donator

Replacing Winlogon with Minlogon can reduce the boot-up time (it saves a bunch of seconds for me) but comes with a few downsides, e.g. it completely eliminates the logon process, resulting in an auto-login single-user install.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Really, you don't need third-party apps to speed up Windows XP. You can like DjRob said, buy more RAM, or you can use msconfig and services.msc to configure services/startup items you don't need so they don't boot up. You can also use Device Manager to disable hardware you don't need, but I don't know if that speeds up the computer in anyway.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:32 am 
Donator

Thlump wrote:
Really, you don't need third-party apps to speed up Windows XP. You can like DjRob said, buy more RAM, or you can use msconfig and services.msc to configure services/startup items you don't need so they don't boot up. You can also use Device Manager to disable hardware you don't need, but I don't know if that speeds up the computer in anyway.

A lot of the boot time is for drivers, of course the amount is going to vary with what hardware you have. I'm not sure if simply disabling them prevents loading the drivers, but uninstalling them definitely will. How you're going to keep Windows from installing them again on next boot up is not something I can tell you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:24 pm 
dont use the pagefile assuming you have > 2gb ram

PostPost subject: Re: How to make Windows XP Fast        Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:52 am 
FTP Access

Set the page file to two or four GB no matter how much RAM you have. Having extra paging file space doesn't hurt at all, but not having enough will open you up to a total system crash if something eats all your memory. And some versions of windows automatically throw some processes on the paging file (ones that aren't being used very often).

Download and run Dial-a-Fix if it's an older computer. That will unregister and reregister all your DLL's. Can make your PC run faster if it's having a problem finding a certain DLL or if one's broken. Also use the tools option of DAF and process idle tasks - on an older computer, it'll speed startup and shutdown.

Use CCleaner to run a registry scan. It could avoid some problems (and speed windows up if it's searching for files that don't exist).

I recommend using Autoruns to disable startup items, it comes from Microsoft and is very comprehensive.

Use blackviper.net's services guide to change your services.

In Vista, after disabling unneeded services (according to BV), set all services (that make sense) to delayed start. Helps you get to the desktop faster.

Disable all visual effects (except for applying the themes, and the shadows for desktop icons).

Install decent anti-virus. Avira seems to be the top dog right now, you only have to deal with one pop-up per day.

If you have a lot of software, download and run PC Decrapifier. It seems to find more programs than you can through add/remove programs, and it does multiple uninstallations at a time - takes less time. Also run ccleaner (cleanup and reg scanner) afterwords.

Disable unused hardware in the BIOS (like parallel ports, serial ports, etc.).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to make Windows XP Fast        Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7
I do it by:

1. Clean install
2. Install all updates (no IE8, no WMP 11)
3. Disable all un-necessary services
4. Install & Run Tune Up Utilities 2009
5. Install Anti-Virus
6. Disable any un-necessary hardware (don't use the 56k modem? or the cd drive? disable them!)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How to make Windows XP Fast        Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:04 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vista RTM
I don't believe in all these guides on how to make your PC faster.

There's one way that actually works though:
UPGRADING PARTS

:mrgreen:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How to make Windows XP Fast        Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:12 am 
Donator

This is more of a "Update and remove crap that has accumulated on your computer" instead of a tweaking guide so its not a "magic hack" but a "what your supposed to do".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to make Windows XP Fast        Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Professional SP4
I'd also suggest defragmenting the hard disk at least once a month (and use a third-party software rather than Windows Defrag)

Also, I'd suggest setting windows services to 'Manual' rather than disabling them, so they will run only when an application or user needs them (it doesn't work with all services, either)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to make Windows XP Fast        Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:45 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I should add to the above post that you should never defrag an SSD hard drive. SSD's do not require defragmenting as their access time to all areas of the drive is equal and fragmentation doesn't slow them down. Defragging only uses up the limited read/write cycles each block of the SSD has, so don't do it.

Never change any windows services to manual either (except for windows search, and a few select others), just ones that are created by software you install.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How to make Windows XP Fast        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:38 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
just one thing fits all :

GROUP POLICY EDITOR

applies to all professional SKUs of 2000/XP and Vista/7 ( not found in any home editions except MCE05, which is in fact xp pro )

XP pro Sp2/3 - XP Media SP2/3 - Fundamentals - Server 2003 :

type run : gepdit.msc

or alternate :

run mmc.exe , load snap-in : gpedit

navigate to Administrative templates for the per-computer-settings and look here :

- Windows Components : disable all Application Compatibility stuff, the engine, the assistant. ( maybe the 16bit app support too ) : this results into XP only capable of executing true Windows 2000/XP apps and no legacy anymore ( nt4, win 9x, win 3x )

makes a huge difference, because apps load instantly without looking in the registry for appcomapt switches.

- System Restore : I disable this here.

- System : disable "persistent time stamp"

( Windows writes all 60seconds or so a timestamp to all files, when they have been accessed.. you can imagine that this is not optimal for performance.. )

In the per-User-hive, Administrative templates below in gpedit.msc are all the UI related settings :

disable personalized menus, disable tracking of user, disable Animations, disable Active Desktop, force Windows Classic and so on..

theres much more you can tune with gpedit, be carefull always read the text for each setting.But be warned : if you tweak without reading before what you are doing,you can basically lock you out of your own machine or cripple it so that you cannot do any more work with it..

The settings above mentioned are harmless.

If your apps don't work anymore, simply set the settings back to default. But be careful with Internet Explorers Security policies and all MMC related policy settings, otherwise you are locked out of the settings if you "deny" yourself any snapins..

MS has lots of other ADM files available on the MS download site ( search for "ADM" ) for Office,Ie7,IE8,Messenger, Search 3,4 and more..

these policy templates may be imported into the default gpedit console and voila : you have the ultimate tweaking tool at hand

( which windows tweaking tool lets you disable animations / sound / cleartype /security / printing / memory usage for Word 2007 or lets you disable filetypes and disable remote-indexing, throttling the speed of the indexer for MS Desktopsearch? and so .. - with gpedit and MS' ADM files you can. )

all settings you do in the mmc are in place after a reboot.

This Snapin is highly recommended on Vista.. it can do wonders in terms of performance..

:)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to make Windows XP Fast        Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:03 am 
Donator

I say:

Install MinLogon
Disable unneeded services
Use CMD as shell.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to make Windows XP Fast        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:38 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
For everyone who disagrees with this topic, I agree with them. This topic makes me look like an idiot :oops:

Top  Profile