BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 78d, 22h, 55m | CPU: 61% | MEM: 6428MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How to make RO floppy drive when drive's sensor is broken        Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
2222a
Official dumping guide recommends “write protect your floppies!”. When I finally bought 360KB floppy drive, first test revealed, that it reads 5.25" DD floppy correctly, but unfortunately its write protect sensor is broken, so it writes even to write protected floppies!

Because I can only clean drive's heads, I did not want to disassemble the 5.25” drive.

So I come up with an idea, how to make a read only drive again. So I modded PIN28 = Write Protect (signal /WPT) using a sticker and piece of wire.

If you have a better idea, please share ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to make RO floppy drive when drive's senzor is broke        Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:51 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
So here's a better idea: How about a switch?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to make RO floppy drive when drive's senzor is broke        Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:45 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
2222a
All my ideas were just to fix write protection of that 5.25", that something like a switch did not come to my mind :$ I will put the switch at the back of PC and one switch will protect both drives A: and B: altogether. Vice versa, without a switch I could not even write to the B:

I was also told that I do not need to isolate the PIN28 on the floppy drive, as all the lines are "Open Collector", so direct grounding is OK. Again I didn't think about it till now, but wires 1,3,5,7,..,33 (odd) are all GND. And it happen to me few times, that I plugged floppy connector the opposite - i.e. effectively grounding all the signals. So again, I already test it, without knowing *hehe*

Top  Profile