BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 13d, 1h, 5m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 5354MB of 11537MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [TUTORIAL] Novell NE2000 on Windows XP to Longhorn        Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Millennium 2358, Longhorn 3713
The Novell NE2000, 3C509, and most other ISA network cards was only meant for Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows ME, since Windows XP, Server 2003, and Longhorn no longer supported ISA legacy hardware. However, Windows XP, Server 2003, and Longhorn still keeps the drivers itself, so the only thing you need to receive is the .inf file for this. This was tested on Windows Longhorn build 4074, but it will also work (and attempted) on Windows XP and Server 2003. It is unknown if this will work on post-reset Vista builds.
-----------
1. You will need a copy of a Windows 2000 disc (its service pack doesn't matter). Use an unzipping utility such as the expand command or 7-Zip and copy the "netnovel.inf" from the i386 folder to another folder. If you are installing a 3C509 card, copy "netel5x9.inf" instead. Put the two files into a disc image, a floppy image, or however you want that will be able to mount these folders into your virtual machine (or physical computer).

2. Install Windows XP, Server 2003, or Longhorn normally, then mount the image with the information file and copy the information file to any folder on your HDD. As seen in the images below, I mounted the "netnovel.inf" to a disc drive and copied it to a folder on the HDD called "NETNORK".

ImageImage

3. Open the "Add Hardware Wizard". You can easily access in the "Hardware" tab in System Properties or the Control Panel.

4. Select "Yes, I have already connected the hardware" if it asks you to do so, otherwise it will end the Add Hardware Wizard prematurely.

5. Choose "Add a new hardware device" if it gives you a list of installed hardware, then select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list".

6. Choose "Network adapters".

7. Click "Have disk...", then click "Browse..." and navigate to the folder with the information file.

8. Select your network card then click "Next".

9. Click "Next", and click "Continue Installation" on the "Windows Logo testing" warning. If you're running later versions of Longhorn, also click "Cancel" or close on the "Driver Package Installation Error". Wait for the driver to install.

10. You will get the finished screen, but you're not quite done yet. Click "View or change resources for this hardware (Advanced)".

11. Change the resources. You should make sure that you know the input range for the network card and the interrupt request.

12. When you're done, click "OK" and then click "Finish" on the Add Hardware Wizard.

13. You will get this final prompt to restart your computer. Be sure you saved all unsaved work then click "Yes".

Here is a result on Longhorn 3718:

Feel free to post any questions or issues on this thread. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on getting ISA network cards on Windows XP, Server 2003, and Longhorn to work.

BetaWiki contributor.

Top  Profile  WWW