Install MS Virtual PC Drivers in 2000/XP Beta's

Tutorials for Operating Systems, Applications etc can be posted here.
imback
FTP Access

Install MS Virtual PC Drivers in 2000/XP Beta's

Post by imback »

Can't install the Microsoft Virtual PC Additions in certain Windows 2000 and XP Beta's because of a incorrect Windows Installer Version? Well, I've had the solution in me for 5 years, and now i'm gonna share it with you!

Please note that this will not work on NT 5.0 Beta's 1515-1773, And XP beta's 2267-2459. Or at least I think. Someone might need to check that.
You can only install the video driver on NT 5.0 Beta's 1515-1773, And only the mouse and keyboard drivers on XP beta's 2267-2459.

First, download the vpc additions of vpc 2004 SP1. You can get it here.

In your virtual machine, Open the start menu, then click run, then type in devmgmt.msc. Device manager is now open.

Now you will see multiple types of devices. The only ones you will need to worry about are the ones expanded in the screenshot. Let's go in order, shall we?

Collapse the display adapter, and you will see something like S3 Trio or something. Double click on it, to see the properties. Then select the adapter tab, and then Change...

Choose to select the drive manually from a list, And you will see a list of adapters to choose from. We don't want any of them so go ahead and select the Have disk button.

Note that some versions of Windows may display some additional boxes.

Mount the vpc 2004 additions iso, and enter this in the box: "D:/Windows/Windows/VMADD" Or browse to the location.

Now it will display the VPC S3 driver. Select it and click next. A popup box or two may appear, but you can click'em away anyway. If it prompts you the location of the file simply browse to the location i mentioned earlier and click next. If it prompts you te restart, DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU INSTALLED ALL THE DRIVERS for reasons I will explain later.

Now, the display adapter is installed! Now you must do the same with the keyboard and mouse driver. Again, DON'T RESTART UNTIL YOU INSTALLED ALL THE DRIVERS Or the virtual machine won't detect the mouse and keyboard drivers!

Last edited by imback on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

whistler2250
FTP Access

Re: Install MS Virtual PC Drivers in 2000/XP Beta's

Post by whistler2250 »

Or, you could upgrade the Windows Installer service, which does seem to work, unless it's 2250-2416, in which case you have application manifest issues.
Pseudo-localized builds are awesome!

SistemaRayoXP
FTP Access

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

Good post man! I've been searching this for months! Why the drivers refuses to install in XP Beta 2419? Do you have any clue?
Registrations are now open. Join us today!

imback
FTP Access

Post by imback »

SistemaRayoXP wrote:Good post man! I've been searching this for months! Why the drivers refuses to install in XP Beta 2419? Do you have any clue?
Well in build 2419 they don't refuse to install, but when you install the video driver, a BSOD will appear shortly after booting to the desktop.

Last bumped by imback on Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:17 am.