BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 35d, 7h, 59m | CPU: 11% | MEM: 5837MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [TUTORIAL] Windows XP Embedded Installation        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 4.0 SP6a Build 1381
This is a quick tutorial I wrote a while back and posted in a thread on the BA forum.
I am reposting it here and hope that it may be of use to anyone who is interested in evaluating Windows XP Embedded.

Windows XP Embedded Basic Installation Guide
By Tobias Theebe, The Netherlands

Prerequisites

You should at least have access to the following items in order to correctly install Windows XP Embedded:

- Setup disc 1 and 2 (includes Service Pack 1a) disc/disc images - WXPECLIENT1.ISO, WXPECLIENT2.ISO
- Service Pack 2 disc/disc image - WXPESP2Upd.ISO
- Toolkit product key (static/evaluation) *
- Runtime product key (static/evaluation) *
- Two personal computer systems (physical or virtual machines)
- When using physical systems, a USB flash drive.

* Static keys will never expire. Windows XP Embedded does not utilize the WGA framework and therefore does not require activation.

The following items are not required for a basic installation, but do provide additional features:

- Feature Pack 2007 disc/disc image - XPeSP2FeaturePack2007.iso
- Service Pack 3 disc/disc image - XPESP3.ISO

Installation Part 1: Tools Setup

On the development system:

1. Insert the Setup disc 1.
2. Install the tools.
3. Install the database.
4. Install the tools update.
5. Install the database update.

You will be asked for the toolkit product key one or more times during the above 4 steps.
You will also be asked for Setup disc 2.

If you receive an error during step 3 or 4, (re-)start the Microsoft SQL Server service (MSSQLSERVER) using services.msc. Afterwards, try again.

Installation Part 2: Target System Analysis

1. Copy the files "BOOTPREP.EXE" and "tap.exe" (Target Analyzer Probe) to a floppy disk** or USB flash drive***. These files are located in the Utilities directory within the Toolkit program directory. "BOOTPREP.EXE" is not yet required.

** If the system has no operating system or Windows 9x/Millennium Edition or lower installed.
*** If the system has Windows 2000 or higher installed.

On the target system:

2. Insert the removable device.
3. Run the Target Analyzer Probe. A file 'devices.pmq' should have been created.
4. Move the file to the floppy disk or removable device.
5. Remove the removable device.

6. Insert the removable device.
7. Move the file devices.pmq from the removable device to a convenient location, such as the Desktop.

Installation Part 3.1: Runtime Image Build

1. Start the toolkit.
2. Insert the PMQ file to your project.
3. Resolve the project's dependencies.
4. Add the required components to the project (you may also add a template to simplify this process).
5. Enter the product key into the runtime settings and verify the other runtime settings.
6. Build the image. You may be asked to re-perform step 3.

Installation Part 3.2: Runtime Image Deployment

1. Copy or move the runtime image to the remove device.
2. Remove the removable device.

On the target system:

3. The system's hard drive must be formatted to FAT-32. Format (and repartition, if necessary) the hard drive using 'FDISK.EXE' and 'FORMAT.EXE'. You can find FAT-32 compatible versions of these files on the Windows 98 boot disk.
4. Copy the "BOOTPREP.EXE" file to the C: drive and run it. You will be asked for confirmation multiple times.
5. Copy or move the runtime image to the C: drive.

Installation Part 4: Runtime Image Testing

On the target system:

1. Boot the target system. It should now boot successfully into Windows XP Embedded.
2. Did it boot? Congratulations! Have fun using XPE!
3. Did it fail booting? Don't panic. Ask me for help!

Last edited by DutchAbandonwareCollector on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] Windows XP Embedded Installation        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 5.00.1575
I tried this step by step thing ( http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/282 ... P-Embedded ) (scroll to 17 steps to creating)
Quote:
it was all fine but until I needed to check dependencies but took a year to complete, but didnt because I gave up Twice waiting for the dependencies (I installed it once on two different computers). I decided to build it because waiting over an hour isn't worth it for checking dependencies and I tried the other steps skipping dependencies probably is why my XP Embedded image booted into a black screen with a blinking underscore

I hope this will be a better way to create an Embedded Image

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] Windows XP Embedded Installation        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:38 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 4.0 SP6a Build 1381
What caused the "blank screen with blinking cursor" problem in my case, was an incorrectly specified boot drive on the runtime image settings page in Target Designer. It could also be caused by incorrect partitioning or formatting (FAT-32 is mandatory).

Good luck!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] Windows XP Embedded Installation        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:44 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 5.00.1575
DutchAbandonwareCollector wrote:
What caused the "blank screen with blinking cursor" problem in my case, was an incorrectly specified boot drive on the runtime image settings page in Target Designer. It could also be caused by incorrect partitioning or formatting (FAT-32 is mandatory).

Good luck!

it wasnt partitioning and formatting FAT32 that caused it but the other thing makes more sense, does that tutorial link seem like a good tutorial to create an image

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] Windows XP Embedded Installation        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 4.0 SP6a Build 1381
The tutorial seems pretty good to me, but I've never seen a CAB-based XPe installation before. Might be just me... :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] Windows XP Embedded Installation        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:35 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
There's a tutorial section of the forum for topics like these.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] Windows XP Embedded Installation        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 4.0 SP6a Build 1381
Thank you for letting me know, Overdoze. I did not know this section exists and must have overlooked it. My apologies!

I am hereby requesting a moderator to move this thread to the appropriate section.

Top  Profile