BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 15h, 22m | CPU: 49% | MEM: 6042MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How-to get Windows Phone Beta Updates Packages urls        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:54 pm 
FTP Access

Bordeaux, sometimes in Paris, France, maybe also in R.W

Favourite OS
I'm posting an how-to on how to do this, for people that wants to preserve any Windows Phone Build.

Due to incompatibilities with Windows 10 and Winpcap, you cannot do this with a Windows 10 PC.

Estimated Complete Time :

2 Hours considering that you will normally get ~50 cab files from any update (1 hour 30 minutes for people who know how to use Wireshark)

Summary of the steps :

You will create a new virtual Wifi network that you will bind to your actual internet connection.
Then you will track http requests with Wireshark connected on your internet connection.

To achieve this you will need the following hardware :

• A pc with a wireless adapter. (A laptop with wifi works too)
  • A second wireless adapter. (USB/Internal Component Card works too)
  • A Windows Phone Handset

or

• A pc without any wireless card.
  • Two wireless adapter connected via usb.

or

• A pc with a network card connected to internet
  • A wireless card

To achieve this you will need the following software :

• Windows 7+ (Build 7600 and later)
  • Wireshark

So let's get right onto it.

First download the latest version of Wireshark and accept the installation of WinPcap.
You will be asked to reboot your pc, do it.
After rebooting, make sure of the following :

• You only have one wireless card connected to your wifi network.
  • The other wireless card is disconnected.

or

• The only wireless card that you have is disconnected

Then go to start and run cmd.exe as administrator.
Enter the following commands (replace what you need when specified that you can with {})

Code:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Wireshark key={the password that you want}
netsh wlan start hostednetwork

You should get this if there are no problem with your wifi setup.

Then open control panel and go to Network and sharing center.

Click Change adapter settings.

Right click your current internet connection (not the wifi adapter that is not connected nor the adapter saying wireshark) and select properties.

Goto the sharing tab, check Allow other users to connect [...] and then select the adapter matching the one with Wireshark written under the name. Then click ok.

Then go to your phone, disconnect it from any wifi networks and connect to the newly created Wireshark network.

When done open Wireshark on your computer.

Then select your actual internet connection that you shared before and click the green Start button.

You will then see the list of all the network traffic coming from your computer and your phone. You can search for GET commands (when Windows Phone downloads an updated, a GET command get sended) and then right click the line containing the url, click copy summary -> copy text.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How-to get Windows Phone Beta Updates Packages urls        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
I'm glad you took the time to make this guide. Although I haven't tried it, the guide seems useful.
Keep it coming!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How-to get Windows Phone Beta Updates Packages urls        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
Nice guide, thanks!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How-to get Windows Phone Beta Updates Packages urls        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
Can someone do this and give me pcaps please? Good things might happen if someone can get me them :)

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How-to get Windows Phone Beta Updates Packages urls        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I would kindly help you The Distractor but I'm out of my city and didn't bring my laptop with me. I hope someone helps you with this since I'm interested on what you could develop :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How-to get Windows Phone Beta Updates Packages urls        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:35 am 
Administrator

I can add also that this method should work with any manufacturer, OS and situation since it's a generic way to snoop traffic off a wirelessly connected device.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How-to get Windows Phone Beta Updates Packages urls        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
The Distractor wrote:
Can someone do this and give me pcaps please? Good things might happen if someone can get me them :)

I haven't saved those sorry, but are the links here http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33987 not enough?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How-to get Windows Phone Beta Updates Packages urls        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
This is a bit of a long-winded way to go about it, though I will grant that it's certainly a very effective way.

You can do it with far less though. Personally, rather than set up a second network, I prefer to just use ARP poisoning to route the phone's traffic through a PC on the same virtual network.

Given that I believe Windows Phone's updates will be all through HTTP(S), I'd also personally prefer to use Fiddler over Wireshark. Better suited to HTTP traffic, and it also means you can use the HTTP Proxy settings on your phone to redirect the traffic through Fiddler.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How-to get Windows Phone Beta Updates Packages urls        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:02 pm 
FTP Access

Bordeaux, sometimes in Paris, France, maybe also in R.W

Favourite OS
Fiddler ? I haven't thought of it, and I have to admit, this is far easier with Fiddler through a proxy. Thanks for the tip, I will update the guide to include that later. You are also right on the requests, Windows Phone only send HTTP requests when doing an update.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How-to get Windows Phone Beta Updates Packages urls        Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:51 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Yes, though that said, your original guide is still useful for people looking to apply it to other projects, because your guide is the most sure-fire way to collect all traffic :)

Top  Profile  WWW