FTP file format glossary
Ever wondered why we keep all the different files on the FTP and what they all mean? Here's a quick glossary...
Main binary files:
Main release file. Suffix indicates type of media:
- media_iso.rar ISO9660 image format. Contains only a single session, no copy protections. Often distributed originally by Microsoft.
- media_mdf.rar: Alcohol 120% image format. Supports all kind of tracks, even some copy protections. Also created and supported by Daemon Tools and DiscImageChef. Preferred optical disc format on BetaArchive!
- media_dic: DiscImageCreator fileset. Contains several formats (cue, bin, ccd) along with subchannel and metadata files. Requires specific optical drive brands and models to use. Preferred optical disc format on BetaArchive!
- media_mdx.rar: Same as media_mdf, but both .mdf and .mds file merged into single image file. Created by Daemon Tools, supported by Alcohol 120%.
- media_ccd.rar: CloneCD image format.
- media_bincue.rar: Multisession image file, originally created by CDRWin but supported by many tools. Supports multiple tracks.
- media_img.rar: Raw floppy images. Supported by many tools like Winimage, Rawread, dd etc. Doesn't support custom sectors or copy protections.
- media_kryoflux.rar: Kryoflux stream files. Contains track per track magnetic flux information for the entire floppy. Preferred floppy disk format on BetaArchive!
Main artwork files:
- media_encrypted.rar: Encrypted data file without any known decryption key. Kept for preservation in case decryption key or other decrypt methods are found.
Contains all the scanned artwork for the release. Discs, floppies, boxcovers, media covers etc. All artwork is required to be scanned at 600dpi (or better)
and saved as PNG or TIF
Main documentation files:
Contains all the scanned documentation for the release. As above, 600dpi (or better) and saved as PNG or TIF.
Contains scanned but unprocessed documentation.
Release support files:
: Contains all kind of bonus materials and additional content and files:
- extras_patches.rar: Contains official patches for the release.
- extras_fixes.rar: Minor fixes and unofficial patches for the release.
- extras_bonus.rar: Bonus material for the release.
: Contains extra information about the release, custom info by the leaker or special instructions.
: Contains license information about the release. Available only for freeware and beta releases, not for abandonware!
: Contains information about missing discs, corrupt data or missing content.
This list will updated whenever there are changes to the FTP layout or additional information becomes available.