BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 14d, 12h, 50m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 5379MB of 11782MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows Builds!
I'm gonna be showing you how you can unlock the hidden start menu in Windows Whistler Build 2250. We call this a Windows Whistler Easter Egg because it's a hidden feature that Microsoft was working on before it made its very first appearance in build 2257 (the next build after 2250 and the first to set the new start menu as default look of the start menu).

Here's how you can activate the hidden start menu:

1. Right click on the taskbar and click "Properties"

2. Click the "Start" tab.

3. Hold down Alt+D and the "Apply" button should activate.

4. Click "Apply" then "OK".

5. Enjoy your new start menu!

If you have anymore requests, feel free to PM me!

Finding many rare pieces of software from my collection and rare valuables on the web and uploading 'em all to BA's FTP!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win 98SE, 2K, XP, Longhorn
How'd you figure out how to do that? Did you just so happen to press Alt-D in that menu one day and you noticed the start menu changed, or did you have to read through the code for the start menu to get it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:08 pm 
FTP Access

It has been discovered for a looong time, there is also a registry setting to show the hidden checkbox.
Jason, Alt+D triggers focused checkboxes in Windows 2000

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows Builds!
Lukas Marsik wrote:
It has been discovered for a looong time, there is also a registry setting to show the hidden checkbox.
Jason, Alt+D triggers focused checkboxes in Windows 2000

I need an image for the proof of "focused checkboxes". I don't know what you mean.

Finding many rare pieces of software from my collection and rare valuables on the web and uploading 'em all to BA's FTP!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:56 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
thanks, i tried the Alt-D trick a few times and it wouldn't work for me,i wonder if there is a way to make Whistler build 2250 display the new Start Menu by default,what about a batch file or a .cmd added to setup.inf?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:32 am 
FTP Access

betaluva wrote:
thanks, i tried the Alt-D trick a few times and it wouldn't work for me,i wonder if there is a way to make Whistler build 2250 display the new Start Menu by default,what about a batch file or a .cmd added to setup.inf?
Open regedit, navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage\, create a new DWORD called StartPanelUI_Visible, set it to 1 and go to taskbar properties, a new checkbox under the Start tab will be present.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:25 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows Builds!
I need a screenshot.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
thanks for the info, what i meant was .Whistler 2250 displays the new Start menu as soon as you install Whistler 2250

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows Builds!
betaluva wrote:
thanks for the info, what i meant was .Whistler 2250 displays the new Start menu as soon as you install Whistler 2250

Well no, It doesn't. it still uses the "good old" Classic Start Menu by default. But when you follow my steps, you get the new Start Menu. Actually, build 2257 is the first to use the new Start Menu.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:08 pm 
FTP Access

betaluva wrote:
easiest way to do that is to monitor the registry while enabling it and then see which registry key gets triggered, then add that registry key to your ISO's registry

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:45 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
yeah,i thought that's what would i would have to do,something to do when i find some spare time.lol

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows Builds!
Lukas Marsik wrote:
betaluva wrote:
easiest way to do that is to monitor the registry while enabling it and then see which registry key gets triggered, then add that registry key to your ISO's registry

How??? In which registry??? BTW, the timebomb will keep constantly regenerating itself. I know this because of the watermark which says "Evaluation Copy" instead of "For testing purposes only". In later Whistler builds which of course, would evolve into XP has "For testing purposes only" and the timebomb will not regenerate itself after the expiration date.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:34 pm 
Donator

tariqm wrote:
How??? In which registry???

Are you serious?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows Builds!
AlphaBeta wrote:
tariqm wrote:

Are you serious?

Yeh.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:50 pm 
Donator

tariqm wrote:
AlphaBeta wrote:
tariqm wrote:

Are you serious?

Yeh.

You seem to be a part of the minority of computer "experts" that have no clue on how Windows works. Go and learn something, it'll be useful for you ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows Builds!
AlphaBeta wrote:
tariqm wrote:
AlphaBeta wrote:
tariqm wrote:

Are you serious?

Yeh.

You seem to be a part of the minority of computer "experts" that have no clue on how Windows works. Go and learn something, it'll be useful for you ;)

What about the timebomb in Whistler???

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:09 pm 
FTP Access

tariqm wrote:
What about the timebomb in Whistler???
TweakNT takes care of it just fine. If it doesn't, you are doing it wrong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:11 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows Builds!
I tried it multiple times but didn't remove the "For testing purposes only." watermark and Windows would still stop working even if I change the BIOS date forward.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:39 pm 
FTP Access

tariqm wrote:
I tried it multiple times but didn't remove the "For testing purposes only." watermark and Windows would still stop working even if I change the BIOS date forward.
Which build?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows Builds!
Most builds. Well the timebomb seems removed if I go to the WINVER.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:44 pm 
FTP Access

tariqm wrote:
In all seriousness, I call BS... List me 2-3 builds and I'll try them (preferably in the range of 2202-2410 as I don't have others by hand)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows Builds!
Lukas Marsik wrote:
tariqm wrote:
In all seriousness, I call BS... List me 2-3 builds and I'll try them (preferably in the range of 2202-2410 as I don't have others by hand)

You can try removing the timebomb and set the BIOS date forward in:
* Build 2257
* Build 2416
* Build 2419
* Build 2446
* Build 2475

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable hidden start menu in Whistler b.2250        Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:06 am 
FTP Access

You can try build 2257 and you'll see that the new start menu is on by default.

Last bumped by tariqm on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:06 am.

Top  Profile